Books/Shopping

I’m looking for new books to buy. Since I’m new to this, I figured you could give me some references for what I should get. Some of you made some recommendations when I posted my introduction. I took notes on some of the book names you gave me. I’m also ready to shop for my altar stuff. I don’t know what I should buy first or where to start with that. So I’m open to any help I can get. Thanks!

5 Likes

Warm greetings @vanna!

You are in the right place when it comes to finding new witchy books- there are many witchy readers in the forum and books are a hot topic! :books::sparkles:

I recommend taking a peek at the Book Reviews from past session of Book Club, as books are shared and full reviews are given about each:

You can also check out:

Is there a particular topic you are looking for (i.e Green magick, Kitchen witchery, crystals, tarot, etc)? If so, say the word and I’m sure your coven members will be able to recommend titles by name for you! :blush:

Congrats to you for looking to build your altar- I’m sure you’ll find wonderful ways to decorate it and make it your own! :place_of_worship:

A good place to get an overview of what you might add to your sacred space is in the witch tools guide:

People kindly share some pretty amazing pictures of their altars and sacred spaces, so if you’re looking for inspiration I recommend browsing through the Altars Tag here in the forum- there is lots of explore! :sparkles:

I hope you’re able to find some wonderful witchy books and can build up your altar into a beautiful space that brings you joy- good luck and blessed be, Vanna! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Well, @BryWisteria gave you some good suggestions. The best thing to do is get a Kindle Unlimited subscription. It’s ten bucks a month and you can get all sorts of books from Amazon and read them! Unless you’re a book dragon like I am who likes to hoard her books. LOL!

Seriously though, anything by Scott Cunningham is good, he has several encyclopedias that are good reference books and his two Solitary Wicca books are good starting points, even if they are a bit outdated.

I also liked Witch Life, which is a newer book but seemed like a great starting witch book.

Hope this gets you started well!

5 Likes

@Amethyst a book dragon, lol, i love this. I too have a hoard. I wanna be a book dragon too.

5 Likes

I am! I hate giving up books. And I’ve had to twice. I used to have over 400 books on my shelves and when we moved I had to give them all away for lack of space. It was sad.

4 Likes

@Amethyst oh nooooooo thats terrible. I would’ve cried. I have about 250 actual books. And over 1000 ebooks (i recently checked my number). Definitely more than i thought i had

4 Likes

I did cry. My entire Star Trek collection gone. I just didn’t have the room for multiple bookshelves when we moved. Or to store the boxes.

4 Likes

@Amethyst I don’t believe I’ve ever told you or mentioned this before here, but I have Kindle Unlimited which I love, and also have over 800 books I’ve purchased between regular Kindle, Nook, and Apple Books. My home library has more than double that - and many of the physical books I have are also on my kindle and many of those I own on Audible too - “Hello, My name is Jan and I’m a book addict.” I truly know I have the best and worst addiction to books. Makes me so happy!!! #kindred spirit :slight_smile:

I am also participating in NANOWRIMO this year and want to finish a book. Maybe I’ll publish something next year. I’ve written over 10 books so far. Exciting! :open_book::writing_hand:

@vanna If you tell us what you’d like to know about first, we can recommend very specific books targeted to this, just ask and you shall be given!
Light and love! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

@Amethyst oh nooooooo. U are a trekie!!! I love it

4 Likes

I highly recommend all those starting this path to read The Kybalion by the Three Initiates, it’s in the public domain so you can find a free copy (decided not to share links anymore here, but it’s easy to find with a simple internet search). You don’t even have to read the introduction, it gets a little confusing, but can just jump to the principles. I find this work to nicely, concise, and easily summarized and explain.

A number of rituals use the term, “As Above, So Is Below” this comes from or/and is explained in under the Principal of Correspondence

Cause and effect is a very good principle to learn IMO (especially when performing Justice type spells) but all of these are worth learning, so when you perform spells, rituals, and such, have a bit an understanding of why it is tailored in such a way.

I THE PRINCIPLE OF MENTALISM.
II THE PRINCIPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE
III THE PRINCIPLE OF VIBRATION.
IV THE PRINCIPLE OF POLARITY.
V THE PRINCIPLE OF RHYTHM.
VI THE PRINCIPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT.
VII THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER.

Got some good recommendations and suggestions here for more books!

4 Likes

OOh, that’s interesting! I’ve always been too intimidated by NANO to try it. Good luck!

Before it went to streaming, yeppers. LOL. Now it’s difficult to watch.

4 Likes

Wishing you all the best with NANOWRIMO, Jan!!! :partying_face: I’m with Amethyst- I’m really interested but always get intimidated. I write in explosive bursts, so I’d be okay at the start but would probably never hit the required word count towards the end :sweat_smile: Wah wah wah. Maybe someday, but until then I am cheering you on from afar! :tada: :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you!!! @Amethyst & @TheTravelWitch_Bry !!!

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m sure you’ll finish in time!

4 Likes

@Amethyst i love thay u are a trekie. Ive seen all the original and next gen. Dont care for any other spin off. My dad is/was a HUGE trekie. So of course if we wanted to watch something, dad controlled the TV.

4 Likes

If I was good in school Mom let me have the TV in the afternoons. So this was WAY back in the day and I’d watch stuff like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rodgers. LOL!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.