Bourbon Citrus Sipper, Autumn warm-ups (18+ - alcohol)

Found this autumn warm-up on Better Homes and Gardens. Wouldn’t this be just yummy after facing cold weather all day?

Bourbon Citrus Sipper

Sugar and spice make everything nice, especially when combined with a bit of bourbon. Leave out the alcohol if you’d like. It will still taste delicious.

By BHG Test Kitchen

Published on February 17, 2012

Prep Time:

5 mins

Total Time:

5 mins

Ingredients

• 6 cup apple cider or apple juice (48 ounces)
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 9-inch stick cinnamon
  • 8 whole cloves
  • ½ teaspoon anise seeds
  • 1 large naval orange, sliced
  • 1 medium lemon, sliced
  • ½ cup bourbon

Directions

1. In a 3- or 3-1/2-quart slow cooker combine apple cider, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and anise seeds.
  2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 hours. Add orange and lemon slices. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
  3. Place a fine-mesh sieve over a large bowl; strain the cider mixture. (Or use a slotted spoon to remove orange slices, lemon slice, and whole spices.) If using high-heat setting, turn the cooker to low-heat setting. Pour the strained mixture back into the slow cooker to keep warm.
  4. Just before serving, add bourbon to cider mixture.
    NOTES: for those who can’t drink, skip bourbon.
    DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE!
    Blessings
    Garnet

PS
My bestie’s Mom made this in the winter for us, (no booze) and as ‘tween’ girls, we thought we were “all that”
She only made this because she made dandelion wine in a big galvanized tub and she knew as we went by it, Val and I were ‘finger testing’ her sweet brew.
They both were good. But somehow as an adult, it never tasted quite as good.
My son was smarter than I. I had a bottle of peach Schnapp’s that I rarely drank. Over time I noticed that it was losing flavor. Finally, I dumped it and forgot about it.
Years later as we laughed about antics he and his friends did, he admitted that they were drinking it and replacing what they drank with water. Boys!

12 Likes

Thanks @Garnet - we call these Hot Toddy’s!! :heart:

5 Likes

Both the warming bourbon and dandelion wine sound deeeelicious :yum::two_hearts:

Thanks for the tasty recipe! The more ways I can get my fill of autumn spices, the happier I’ll be haha- it’s truly the season for spicy, warming, tasty treats like this :heart:

Blessed be (and cheers)! :clinking_glasses: :sparkles:

4 Likes

@BryWisteria
While we still lived in N.Y., Rich was experimenting with rhubarb. He decided to make Rhubarb wine. It was wonderful!
The last batch turned out significantly different. It had become champagne!
In the winter, when it was snowing or a clear, crisp sky, we’d sit in the hot tub and sip his wonderful champagne…Wowzy. or should I say woozy?
I’m surprised that we didn’t drown. We were both pretty tipsy by the time we crawled out of the tub and went back into the house. Sigh…
Too bad, we can’t still go behind the house and hand-pick the Fresh Rhubarb anymore.
Love and Blessings
Garnet

4 Likes

That sounds amazing- sipping a homemade rhubarb brew in a hot tub on a chilly but clear winter day, a real piece of paradise! :snowflake: :blush:

I don’t think I’ve ever had rhubarb alcohol before, but if (when!) I do, I will think of you, Garnet! :heart: Cheers to you! :clinking_glasses: :sparkles:

4 Likes