Brigids Cross, 1st Attempt

:rofl::rofl:sounds like me with those wretched things

7 Likes

@Susurrus I like how it turned out. I have one but it was already made.

6 Likes

@BryWisteria, I’d probably get a paper cut or something. Seriously not crafty here. Which is sad because my Mom was good at that sort of thing. I think I got my Dad’s fumble fingers.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone. I love that Brigid is a deity that I can relate to on different levels. I am now a homemaker and can no longer be in the workforce. I turned to crafting as a therapy for being home so much and I would run out of things to do once the kids were at school or work. I started when I was really young but a friend of mine used to have crafternoons with me and then once I got a Cricut I was making all the things.

The beach grass was the closest things to reeds that we have around here. We happen to have patches of it in our backyard that is on the property line. I just clipped some of them and left the rest to thrive in the sun.

Brigid is considered a triple goddess too and the cross is asking her to come protect your home from disease and fires. She keeps the home safe. The doll invites her to watch her babies in their cradles, if I remember right. I could be wrong, but that was how I interpreted what the story was saying. Now, I will read it again just to be sure.

10 Likes

@christina4 pipe cleaners are dangerous. LOL.

6 Likes

Have you tried making the doll? I found this tutorial on Pinterest

straw-doll-10

It was called Brídeóg and was traditional around Imbolc.

The girls would carry it in procession while singing a hymn to Brigid. All wore white with their hair unbound as a symbol of purity and youth. They visited every house in the area, where they received either food or more decoration for the Brídeóg.

Afterwards, they feasted in a house with the Brídeóg set in a place of honour, and put it to bed with lullabies. In the late 17th century, Catholic families in the Hebrides would make a bed for the Brídeóg out of a basket. - Source

15 Likes

I have not tried to make it, but I do want to make it! I was going to head down to our craft store and see if I could find somethings to make it out of with the flowers and maybe see if they have some false reeds. I had read the story and I can’t remember if they burn the doll or the cross to make a new one during Imbolc each year. I will have to look it up again. I will post a picture of my attempt at the doll! I have baskets galore at my house! Thank you!

8 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: very nice!!!

8 Likes

How pretty @Francisco! That looks great!

7 Likes

Krissie,
It’s so creative especially with the Beach Grass! You are getting closer to the Brig huh :thinking:

Jeannie

10 Likes

Well done. I find it difficult to find suitable plant reeds for them. I still always strive to use them on Imbolc as well as a Corn Dolly to Brigid.

10 Likes

I wish I would have seen this post I made a Brighid cross and really felt good energy from her!
This is lovely I still have mines they said Barrie it and I had a hard time do that!
Jeannie

7 Likes

I release mine after I have gone through something significant or on January 31st I burn the one I have up & make a new one to hang for the year or until I feel like it’s a proper time to “refresh” protections. Depends on what I have going on & for how long really.

I say if you feel good with that one, then by all means keep it! Especially if you’re still feeling the good energy from it. If you already did that then, make another one, see how it feels… maybe it’s stronger this time!

10 Likes

Pretty cool love the book too.

8 Likes

@danielle7 thank you, thank you! I believe that was one of my first journals once I started my path!

I have a good tutorial for making the cross, they even have you try it with like pipe cleaners first so you can get the idea of how it works :laughing: I couldn’t figure it out at first to save my life… my hands didn’t want to work with me the very first time.

If you are interested in Brigid or anything we have a few things for you to review:

If you’re still interested let us know & we can recommend books & such that have information about her & stories & such :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Yes, I’m very interested! I really am new to all this and have never even heard of the brigid cross nor do I know what it does. Thank you for the links and yes book names would be great.

blessed be

7 Likes

Okay, well Brigid’s Cross is usually made up on January 31st/February 1st because Brigid is highly associated with Imbolc. The crosses are hung over the doorways to homes for protection throughout the year of hearth & home.

Let me go through what I have & I will preface with if you go to Amazon, there is a series of Pagan Portals on there… Morgan Daimler & Courtney Weber do books for them & are very knowledgeable & great authors to start with… I believe Pagan Portals does have a series on Brigid… I can check that too when I go into my Amazon & my Kindle… I also have Kindle Unlimited & the number of books related to the practice that are free is amazing. I would stay away from books about anything… that are by Mari Silva. Llewellyn’s can be good but check the sources at the end of the books… sometimes they are from decades ago & since then a lot more has been found & written that is more reliable.

Brigid is a Celtic/Irish Goddess that was transformed into a Saint when Christianity came through the Celtic lands. In Ireland, she is still honored as she was before sainthood in some places. (My neurologist is from Ireland & her family is Celtic. Brigid is her family’s patroness & they honor her in the same ways.) Her perpetual flame is still tended to by nuns in Kildare also.

I will find the books I do have & @MeganB may be able to help with some other resources for Brigid also.

5 Likes

I tried to make a brigid doll today and added lavender and put it by the fire place, I really appreciate you sharing knowledge with me this is so much fun! I also wrote all of this down in my journal. Hee hee

Blessed Be

8 Likes

I Love Love Love that you made this out of found materials in your local area!

9 Likes

@Susurrus i need to get with u and maybe get my crafty creative juices flowing

9 Likes