1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Step 1

Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 to 8 inches from the heat source. Melt butter in a large high-sided ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring often until browned and tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat and break up clumps.

Step 2

Whisk broth, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl until smooth. Whisk in cornstarch. Add the mixture to the pan; stir to combine. Stir in broccoli; let the mixture come to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the broccoli is bright green and tender for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese.

Step 3

Transfer the skillet to the oven; broil until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.

Nutritional Facts:

Serving Size: 2/3 cup

Per Serving:

264 calories; protein 8.2g; carbohydrates 31.7g; dietary fiber 2.7g; sugars 2.6g; fat 12.1g; saturated fat 5.4g; cholesterol 26.3mg; vitamin a iu 1090IU; vitamin c 27.4mg; folate 42.7mcg; calcium 143mg; iron 1mg; magnesium 52mg; potassium 373mg; sodium 301mg; thiamin 0.2mg.

Recipe courtesy of Eating Well.

10 Likes

Thank you @Amethyst, it looks totally delicious. There is only one problem for me, potassium and sodium are too high for my system. Potassium hurts my low kidney function and the sodium is not good for my high blood pressure. But it does look so delicious, thank you for sharing with all of us. :sparkles:

5 Likes

I’ve made this, absolutely delicious.
Garnet
PS, this kind of dish made as a sauce could be used on almost anything. Pasta, rice, potato in almost any form. Great ideas Amethyst.

6 Likes

Let me know the type of recipes you can eat and I can look something up, @debra2. If there’s something specific I can look for, just let me know!

Good to know, Garnet! Thank you!

6 Likes

Oh, I just made broccoli and cheese sauce pasta for dinner last night- I guess we were sharing a brain, @Amethyst :laughing: :+1: I love the idea of making it with rice instead, and I bet Cheddar cheese would give it a nice sharpness (I used a bit of mozzarella in the sauce last night, which is yummy but very mild) :cheese:

Another wonderful recipe with lots of fun things to consider- thank you so much for sharing, Amethyst! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I bet your pasta was yummy as well! I was mainly looking for cheese and milk recipes because of Imbolc coming up. Glad you liked it!

5 Likes

@Amethyst, I just really need to stay with very little sodium, but potassium is harmful to my kidneys. I love most foods. So most foods that are high in potassium, I stay away from or I leave them out of the dishes. Thank you for asking Kasie.

5 Likes

You’re so good, Amethyst- sounds like you’re well on your way to be ready for Imbolc! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I need to catch up haha :laughing: :+1: It will be here before we know it! :blush:

Thanks again! :heart:

4 Likes

If there’s anything specific you’d like me to look for, just let me know. That goes for anyone. I like looking up recipes and sharing them.

4 Likes

Debra, most boxed foods are high in carbs, sodium (read soda labels), potassium and other potential vitamins and minerals. Make sure you read your labels (I know it’s a pain).

4 Likes

Bri, try looking up Milk Bread - buttermilk pie

Just a few places to look
Garnet

4 Likes

Thank you @Garnet @Amethyst Yes I do read the labels of everything I buy or make. All because I landed in the hospital with Acute Renel Failure, the function fell to 3% of Kidney working. So now I read the labels to make sure there is no potassium or very little and also with sodium. Thank you for the recipes, very much appreciated.

4 Likes

Wise is the woman who knows her own body.

4 Likes

I’ve had Milk Bread before- it’s delicious! :drooling_face: :bread: Thanks for the links, Garnet- maybe I’ll try making my own sometime! :woman_cook: :two_hearts:

Well said! :raised_hands:

4 Likes