Butternut Squash Soup, my way and quickly

So at this time of year, I LOVE butternut squash soup. I never did as a kid but now that I’m an adult, I love it. But I will admit I’m lazy, lol. I don’t want to cut the squash, roast the squash all for 10 minutes of enjoyment.

So I have my ‘lazy Kayte’ way of doing this.

Buy a bag of frozen butternut squash, diced and peeled already. Not sure what size of bag mine was but it filled the dutch oven about half way.
1 small to medium onion diced small
1 or 2 carrots, peeled, diced small or even grated
about 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock, whatever hits your fancy. Mine was chicken cuz I had it on hand.
optional: Granny Smith Apple or any tart apple on hand, peeled, grated/diced
Cream, mine was 10% for my coffee but you can use whipping or whatever you feel like
to taste: salt, pepper,dried thyme paprika, dried mustard powder and brown sugar.

I let the squash, carrot and onion, salt, pepper cook in the stock til it was mushy. Took a ricer or whisk and worked it til it was looking like a thick soup. Added about 1/2 of cup of cream and stirred. I added the remaining seasonings to taste. Let it sit on low or min for about 15 mins to let the flavours marry.

For me it works, I like it. Again, this is my way of making it and I eye ball stuff-- why I love cooking as it’s more of a ‘what tastes good’ vs science.

7 Likes

Ooh, this sounds good! I didn’t know they had frozen butternut squash! Yummy!

5 Likes

Butter squash is delicious, but if there’s an easy way to peel them I haven’t found it yet! :sweat_smile: I love the idea of using a frozen bag- it saves a lot of time and energy, and at the end you still have a healthy homecooked meal :bowl_with_spoon: :yum: :two_hearts:

Awesome recipe, @Dierna_Nimue_Selene - thank you for sharing it! :heart:

5 Likes

My very favorite restaurant has butternut bisque and I always order an extra pint to take home with me!! It is SO wonderful!

This recipe sounds awesome… gonna try it out this fall at some point.l

Also… I didnt know you could buy frozen butternut squash… now I’m on a mission!!

I love fall food!!!

4 Likes

I would suggest roasting the squash if you can. This time around I didn’t and it was the first time I made this with frozen squash. I know you can get diced and peeled fresh, at least I’ve seen here in Canada. It’s usually stored with the packaged lettuce and stuff like that. That would work too as it’s fresh and not frozen. Only complaint with frozen is that it was mushy right away but maybe roasting it would have helped and it gives a depth of flavour.

4 Likes