Buyer beware, or be overcharged

Some folks like to have figurines or statuettes of various deities. I just ordered a new one of Danu. Etsy wanted $144.

Amazon had it for $90.

I got it from Walmart.com for $29.63, delivered. Including tax. The exact same statue.

I’m not trying to sell anyone on Walmart. But I don’t to see anyone get ripped off either. There’s enough of that going on as it is. Shop around.

10 Likes

I guess Etsy isn’t homemade anymore as it claimed to be, or at least it seems that they can’t keep up with removing the number of AliExpress resellers (a.k.a. dropshippers).

The problem has gotten so bad that someone made a website called Actually Handmade where they list authentic sellers to buy from on Etsy. I haven’t tried it yet but it looks like a good alternative.

The other option is to always filter by location and buy from someone local to your town. At least if they scam you, you may be able to locate them :rofl:

10 Likes

I got a nice hand made bracelet from Etsy though. Amber and Jet

7 Likes

Sage advice :+1: A little research goes a long way when shopping online.

A shame, though- I remember really enjoying Etsy back in the day! The idea of a fun, crafty place where people sell their handmade wears is such a cozy idea :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks for sharing about Actually Handmade, Francisco- looks like a great resource! I know you also shared the Coven Market Fayre in another post and I love that group too :star_struck:

But outside from local crafting events or reputable groups, it is a lot of work to double-check quality, prices, and authenticity! Hahaha who would have thought de-stressing shopping would be so much work? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Just to be clear, I’m not saying Etsy isn’t a potential source. I got 25 tiny spell jars from Etsy for $5. You can still find deals and quality items, but you have to compare and shop wisely.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.