Can forgetting to cast a circle let in unwanted energies/spirits?

Hi my lovely witch sisters and brothers, i have had a rollercoaster of a ride today since my potentially stroke type migraines decided they were going to play up. This was weird since i had not had one for ages and when they do come up the doc told me could potentially one day turn into a stroke if i put up with too much of the pain but going to the hospital is unlikely here since people are sleeping in ambulances here due to Covid and limited bed space… Anyways as you all know i am still a baby witch so mistakes are bound to happen, and having 4 lovely children similar to Rugrats who love to bounce of walls, doesn’t give much space for personal space even after bed time! So, last night i wanted to cast a few spells *when the supposed kids were supposed to be in bed), and as a silly duffer i am, i forgot to cast a circle… My main question is do you think that i had brung this illness on myself? I only realised after i had completed the spells and then i put two and two together this morning as i was screaming in pain. To be straight i wish no one else ever experiences this type of pain where you ability to think does not work, your speech is slurred, you go partially blind and half your body is numb or with pins and needles… I would willingly go through 5 C-sections again and raise 5 more kids rather that have another migraine again! Any thoughts?

9 Likes

Migraines are almost crippling!
Migraine Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medication
Many types of OTC pain relievers are highly effective for migraine relief. For example, pain relievers, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol), can help relieve mild migraines.

9 Likes

Thanks @Garnet to be honest I do not think there is a medication over the counter I haven’t tried… here when it was bad this morning we had Nurofen on hand, but the most horrid medication I was prescribed made my neck go stiff… once there are more freedoms within a month or two as the government are planning, I will go and get so preventive medication I thinks…

8 Likes

When I get one, I have a pre-migraine aura. I see flashing lights. I take a couple of aspirin and drink strong coffee. Darken my bedroom and go to bed. After a few hours, it’s gone. I still have what I call a ‘brain cloud’ for about 24 hours but it’s a relief. A brain cloud is a feeling of being just out of sync, & fuzzy brained".
Tea or a really cold Coca-Cola have high caffeine too.
PS: or I day my prescribed migraine med

7 Likes

I don’t know much about migraines, just enough to be sorry you have one. With kids at home too. Ouch.

If it makes you feel any better, I rarely cast a circle unless I’m doing something big. For simple candle magic or chants I rarely do.

Will send you good vibes so your head will get better, love!

7 Likes

No, I don’t think you brought this on yourself by forgetting to cast a circle. Circles aren’t used in every form of magic and I personally don’t tend to cast them. They’re generally used to create sacred space, as above so below, protection, etc. What I would caution against is doing so many spells all at once especially if you’re newer to witchcraft.

When we work magic and use witchcraft, if we aren’t drawing on the energy around us, raising energy around us, or using something else as a conduit, we then use our own energy. If you didn’t raise energy or use a conduit or catalyst, it is possible that you put too much strain on your own energy stores which could have potentially caused a migraine flair. I say potentially because you never really know, but in my experience with mental health issues and some pain issues, if I don’t use energy properly during spellwork, the next day I’m usually very rundown. Again, this is just my own personal experience, but I would definitely caution against doing multiple spells until you’ve got enough experience in energy work to really feel out the situation.

11 Likes

Khadija,

I don’t believe a migraine is caused by either intentional or a mistake in your magic. Although, sometimes it sure feels like it.
The Migraine is a real, neurological & physical disorder. I looked up migraine in my nursing books and found this. Hope it proves helpful.

What is a migraine?

Mod Edit: The following information is sourced from MedicineNet: What Causes Migraines. When using content from external sites, please remember to credit the source/owner.

The exact cause of migraines remains a mystery. However, several factors are associated with migraines.

A migraine is a complex disorder that involves episodes of recurrent and severe headaches. A migraine headache is usually on one side and may be associated with visual or sensory symptoms, collectively called aura. The aura may occur before, during or after a headache.

An episode of a migraine can be very painful, lasting for hours, making day-to-day activities difficult until the episode is resolved. Women are more likely to suffer from migraines than men.

What does a migraine feel like?

Migraines are not felt the same way by everyone. The usual symptoms of a migraine are:

• A severe, throbbing headache that increases with movement.
  • Pain is usually limited to one side of the head, around the forehead and around the eyes. However, it can be felt anywhere around the head or neck.
  • Pain builds up between one to two hours, progressively increasing and becoming more diffuse.
  • A migraine headache can last for four hours to three days.
  • Nausea occurs in 80% of the cases.
  • Almost half of the people with a migraine complain of vomiting.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Light-headedness.
  • Sensitivity or discomfort to light and sound.

The typical features of a migraine aura are:

• Aura can occur before, during or after the onset of a headache.
  • An aura can also occur independently, with no relation to the headache.
  • An aura usually builds up over five to 20 minutes and lasts less than an hour.
  • Most commonly, visual symptoms occur during the aura. The person may report seeing flashes of light, colorful or bright shapes, shimmering spots, or loss of vision.
  • Hearing various kinds of sound.
  • Difficulty talking.
  • Weakness or numbness of the face or one side of the body.

What is the main cause of migraines?

The exact cause of migraines remains a mystery. However, several factors are associated with migraines. Some of the factors are:

• Migraines happen due to changes in the blood supply to the brain accompanied by inflammation, according to the neurovascular theory.
  • Migraines may be due to changes in the level of a chemical in the brain called serotonin. Low levels of serotonin cause the vessels that supply blood to the brain to swell up. This leads to pain and other symptoms of a migraine.
  • Genes also play a role in causing migraines. Around 70% of migraine patients report their parents, grandparents or siblings suffer from migraines.
  • The higher occurrence of migraines in women suggests the role of hormones in causing migraines.

Other factors causing migraine events are:

• Stress
  • Excessive or insufficient sleep
  • Medications (e.g., contraceptives)
  • Smoking
  • Exposure to bright or fluorescent lighting
  • Strong odors (e.g., perfumes, colognes, petroleum distillates)
  • Head injury
  • Weather changes
  • Motion sickness
  • Cold stimulus (e.g., ice cream headaches)
  • Lack of exercise
  • Fasting or skipping meals
  • Red wine
  • Certain foods and food additives (e.g., caffeine, artificial sweeteners, monosodium glutamate (MSG), citrus fruits, aged cheese, meats with nitrites)
    I didn’t mention, dehydration can lead to if not an actual migraine headache, a very painful one.
6 Likes

Exactly @Garnet and unfortunately i currently still have the brain fuzz but as you said it is much better than the migraine its self. As for the oncoming of one i as well see bright lights or sometimes i get a tingling sensation in my fingers on on the tip of my nose… The only issue is as soon as i am aware of it i can feel all the blood drain from my face at once and i quietly freak out which i know makes the process speed up… I too take some over the counter meds and lay down as there is not more i can do…

6 Likes

Thank you for that it sounds like mw and unfortunately half of those things on the list i cannot control such as weather, and things i can control such as coffee and other caffeine drinks i tend not too as i will be one sleepy lady all day long… I am trying to cut back however…

6 Likes

I’ll let you in on a secret, the only weather I can control is my air conditioner.

7 Likes

hahaha and heating don’t forget that…

6 Likes

Raw, undiluted hell. That’s how you answer that question. Unfortunately, I have experienced them during various periods in my life - for no acceptable reason! I get them with aura, and have prescribed meds to take as soon as I see the aura. The medical term for the brain fog is"postdrome." I just call it a migraine hangover.

I agree with Megan B., the physical exertion caused by the use of your personal energy may well have been enough to trigger it.

Oh well aren’t I lucky then? Making day-to-day activities difficult?! Try impossible, in my case.

Anyway, I’m sorry you suffer from these things, and I do wish you good health.

7 Likes

Thank you and i pray you guys don’t get one for as long as you live :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Migraines are hellish you have my sympathy.

Bit no I don’t think forgetting to cast a circle was the cause. Not all witches cast circles, and those that do some don’t do it all the time. I’ve been trying to incorporate it into my practice because I like a bit of ceremony, but I’m not sure it’s necessary for much of what I do.

I suspect the migraine was just an unfortunate coincidence and I hope you’re feeling better soon.

8 Likes

Thank you and yes i do however, the ‘hangover’ part of is not fun. I guess i feel i have been putting too much effort into spell work as i have to concentrate too hard on my energy… That, coffee and lack of sleep i guess caused the migraine…

7 Likes

Snicker, snicker. I live in central Florida, been here 18years and I don’t remember the last time I messed with the furnace.

5 Likes

Hahah I am my own heater half the time always warm to the touch no installation needed in our house :yum:

7 Likes

I don’t tend to cast a circle when I spell work, so I don’t believe that would have impacted your Magick :blush:

I cleanse and protect my home every full moon and that’s enough for me to feel like my space is protected and safe.

Good luck with the migraines, I get them too, they’re no fun at all :pensive:

Stay hydrated :droplet:

8 Likes

Will forgetting to dissolve the circle and then have someone else enter it cause that person to feel uncomfortable?

7 Likes

I am not sure i never thought of that :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes