This might be an odd question but can you have a reaction to Selenite? I got some from a local shop months ago and every time I handled it the palm of my hand would get hot and itchy. There were no hives but it did remain red and tingly for a while after it even when I put calendula cream on it. I put it down to it not being proper Selenite and stored it away. I recently got a Selenite wand in a witchy box I got from @SilverBear so I know that this is definitely real Selenite. The same thing happens every time I handle it? They came from retailers who are thousands of miles apart so is it just me reacting to it? Thank you
Huh. I don’t know @Liisa, but if you can be allergic to nickel or gold, I guess you can be allergic to crystals. I would think anyways.
It’s entirely possible, of course. Selenite is a type of gypsum which is one of the most common sulfate materials. I think it’s possible to be allergic to pretty much everything. If you’ve had the reaction more than once with two different selenite stones then I would say yes, probably some form of inflammatory response sometimes it just happens!
There are cases on a medical site that had papers written on the subject: Allergic contact dermatitis from selenite and conjunctivitis from selenite particles. So it is possible!
Selenite can cause reactions from rash to heart attack, see above
@Amethyst @MeganB @SilverBear @Garnet Thank you all so much looks like its a selenite thing, or at least my reaction to how the molecules are arranged in Selenite. Ive got natural cotton gloves I wear when I use my quill and ink so I can use them when I handle the Selenite now that I know Blessed Be
I agree with what everyone says but there’s also tiny fibers that can be toxic to your lungs and throat, causing breathing problems. Please be careful!!!
Thank you lovely I will I like to hold Selenite when I’m meditating so that’s all ill be using it for
What a clever idea!
In the words of my people … good idear! LOL!
However I found a topic in the forum of Mindat (one of the most valued resources for gemologists and rock lovers) and some of the answers seem to imply that there could be something else on the selenite that is causing the reaction.
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information online about selenite allergies. Maybe you can try your own experiment and share your findings here! I recently did an experiment at home to see if selenite dissolves in water.
You’re right, it certainly could be a contact allergy. The only evidence of an actual problem is if while cleansing you gypsum, you get a splinter and infection there of. Didn’t mean to sound like chicken little “the sky is falling!”