Can you be Wiccan if you dont accept reincarnation?

@Undomeher Funnily enough, its this section from Cunninghams book that i read on Monday that got me thinking about this whole subject.

11 Likes

I love the idea that we wait 1000 years as suggested by @Amethyst. That way we are reunited with loved ones before reincarnation occurs. If wonder if remnants of the old us remain. Afterall, energy cannot be destroyed, only altered.

Fascianting. Maybe part of that energy reincarnates while other part remains elsewhere. There are are so many maybes, perhaps and what ifs. It is definitely something i will have to explore further as i like the idea of being reincarnated but my personal experiences of signs from spirit do not allow me to fully embrace it

9 Likes

I like this idea, too – it helps to think about it that way, plus the way I view time, that my ancestors can come to me from the past even if they’ve been reincarnated. It’s hard to put into words the feelings that I get when thinking about death and reincarnation.

Oh maybe! You’re right though. So many maybes, what-if’s, and perhaps. I don’t think we will ever know for certain until it comes to be our time. Maybe that’s part of the great mystery of life!

9 Likes

Hello, Merry Meet, I am sorry to hear of your losses. First and foremost, I don’t believe that Wicca requires you to believe in any doctrine concerning the afterlife. I was not raised with the belief of reincarnation, but after years of study, including the areas of past life regression and near death experiences, not only do I believe in it, but the thought that we are only here for one short life no longer makes sense to me. Also, I have a distinct memory of playing in my sandbox when I was three or four, with a friend. This was back in the mid 1950’s when you really didn’t see a lot of planes. My friend and I heard a sound and looked up. We both stood up at the same time because neither of us had seen a plane before, although we lived right outside of Boston. I will never forget that the first thing I thought as we watched in awe as the plane traced its way across the sky was…oh, they have those, now? Why would I have had that thought if I had not been here, before? As someone else mentioned, time is linear, it is also an illusion. Even the Catholic Church taught that everything really happens at once…or in the ‘now’. Also, we have both higher and lower selves…our higher self stays in our true home…heaven/summerland/the other realm/beyond the veil, whatever you want to call it, while our lower self incarnates here. It is like a virtual reality game where you are still in your living room, but a part of you is “in”"your avatar, so to speak. Soon, as technology improves, you won’t be able to tell the difference. We are here to learn life lessons and to evolve our souls, something that could not happen in just one lifetime. There is so much more to all of this. But again, I don’t believe that reincarnation is a doctrinal requirement to be Wiccan. There are many Christians who are Wiccan who do not believe in it. If you are interested in learning more, however, I would be happy to recommend some books to get you started. Blessings, Valentina ps…I forgot to add, but I see that others have mentioned…we don’t always reincarnate right away. 1,000 years to us in this realm is but a blink of the eye in the Otherworld.

11 Likes

For what it’s worth- I came to witchcraft and paganism from Christianity in part because I did believe in reincarnation and that didn’t jive with what I was constantly told (in modern American Christianity at least).

I started doing some meditation work and while
Researching I discovered the idea of the Akashi records. So I made an attempt to connect with that space and was flabbergasted at what happened. Granted, things appear and manifest differently for everyone- but the understanding I gleaned from that event really helped me see what I believed about reincarnation much clearer.

After meeting my spirit guide (a whole other post lol) I found myself in a long room with a super high vaulted ceiling and the walls were just bookshelves everywhere. But the shelves were not full of books. There were clusters of books in some places, seemingly randomly placed single volumes, and large stretches where the shelves were empty.

I realized almost immediately that this was my room- and the books were my lives. But it wasn’t one after another, but there wasn’t always space between them either. Sometimes it was several in a row, and sometimes it was just one and then a long time of not going back.

I remember that we discussed something- something I had agreed to before this life- but of course I couldn’t remember what it was. But there was this sense that I had some control over when and why and how I would return.

So it would make sense to me that some would stay and help their descendants- maybe for several thousand years at a time, while in other cases, some people can’t seem to contact their passed loved one no matter how hard they try, and it could be because they had already come back for some reason of their own.

In any case, I was able to peek into at least one previous life, which is what I was hoping for- some confirmation that I was headed in the right direction for me.

I was able to verify enough details to feel confident that it had been a legitimate experience, and I can still very clearly picture the room. I haven’t really tried to go back, but mostly because I haven’t felt the need to dig anymore- I got what I needed.

But even though I believe it, I also don’t think it is a requirement of Wicca (maybe for some sects but not in general).

12 Likes

I’ve heard of the Akashic Records (and even made a meditation for them myself based on previous CIA documents) but I’ve never managed to find my way there yet. Hearing your experience is amazing! Thank you for sharing it :blush: I’m like you - I believe that we come here for some reason and decide when and how that is. I haven’t really figured out what I believe in terms of soul contracts or the level of control I have over why I come back or what I experience :thinking: It really gets you thinking, though!

8 Likes

Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts, ideas and experiences with me regarding this topic. I realise it is quite a sensitive area to discuss and that there are so many, often conflicting, ideas about what happens when we leave this world. You have given me lots to think about. It is such a fascinating but complex to delve into and I know that I will not reach a firm conclusion as to my beleifs overngiht and I think I have accepted that. It means I can continue to develop my practice and learn along the way, examining different ideas, weighing them up and determining whether they truly fit in with the path I ultimately want to take.

blessed be to you all

Alan

9 Likes

As an eclectic pagan that is moving more and more towards Norse practices, I wanted to share some of what the Norse believed about death and reincarnation. It is important to note that our understanding of Norse beliefs are sparse as they left us no written record until their interaction with and eventual spiritual conquest by Christianity. The scholars that preserved Norse beliefs omitted some details that they found distasteful.

The Norse believed that our souls are made of four parts:

• Hamr - one’s physical appearance which would and could change.
  • Hugr - one’s personality or character which is continued on after death.
  • Fylgja - one’s totem or familiar spirit which was unique to an individual and mirror their hugr; a shy person might have a deer while a warrior would have a wolf
  • Hamingja - one’s inherent success in life, seen as a quality (or protective spirit) which was both caused by a person’s hugr and formed on it; one’s hamingja would be passed down through the family, for good or ill.

The Norse believed that one’s hugr would pass into the body of a newborn relative, one’s hamingja continued on in the family, and one’s fylgja ceased to exist after death. These parts may or may not go to a single destination after death. There was no judgement by the gods involved in the soul’s final destination, it went where it wanted to go.

There are multiple realms of the afterlife to the Norse.

• Valhalla, which we are all familiar with, is the hall of heroes. When a warrior dies in battle, the soul went to Odin’s hall where they would meet old friends, talk and drink, and fight in preparation for Ragnarok. Half of all warriors will go here.
  • Folkvangr is presided over by Freyja, the fertility goddess, and is known as “The Field of the People.” There is little mention of Folkvangr but it is believed to be a benevolent, giving, and kind place like its ruler. The other half of the warriors will end here, but also waiting for Ragnarok.
  • Hel (Helheim) is ruled by the goddess Hel and where the majority of souls go. Any one who does of illness or old age ends up here.
  • Niflhel or Nastrondr: an unpleasant destination for oathbreakers, murderers, and adulterers.
9 Likes

I haven’t made a proper answer, mainly because I’m still kind of sorting out how to answer & where my beliefs lie… but I will also say that I am not Wiccan. So my beliefs are a bit different as far as time & after passing away. So if I can figure out how to explain it in words… I will properly answer.

9 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity
Hi Alan, I see that you haven’t been with us for a long while, If I haven’t welcomed you, let me do so now.
Your question is valid and, both easy and difficult to answer.
In Christianity, the rules as they were is written in stone. (the 10 commandments) In this belief system, no one says you must believe this or that for whatever reason. No one can force a certain belief on you.
I think that Wicca is a conscious-driven system. You set your ethics as you start and grow. Strong suggestions, like "Be nice. Don’t wish evil on anyone. Treat others as you want them to treat you.
Personally, I believe in reincarnation. I’ve done past life regression. I was a doctor in ancient Egypt, not a queen or king, but a physician. I didn’t ask for nor want a delusion of grandeur. In another regression, I was a civil war widow. It was a fleeting memory but that was what my mind held onto. But that’s me.
Alan, don’t be afraid to ask questions here, no one will criticize you.
I don’t recruit. Stay with us for a while. Look into the courses.
Your beliefs are yours, no one should try to change them.
Be blessed, stay safe, and know you are loved
Garnet

11 Likes

Thats very interesting and on par with how i see things…almost like different planes for different energies in the beyond. The idea of soul parts is very interesting too, similair to ancient Egypt,where the soul comprised of the ka, ba and akh. Although these were judged and your life actions determined your prospects in the afterlife. Its fascinating. So many different ideas to consider.

Thank you for your honest response. It can be difficult to put such complex and deep beliefs down into words. I appreciate your input and look.forward to reading your response should you find yourself able to write it down.

That is fascinating and something I would like to explore. I do feel like ive been here before in a past life and have a deep connection to ancient Egypt, which is why i have difficulty in understanding my resistance to beleiving in reincarnation. It may be a fear of taking away that feeling of comfort from communication ive experienced with loved ones who have passed.

Alan

10 Likes

You’re welcome, I’m really thinking because it is a complex subject & it requires some extra thought for me.

I’m having an overwhelming week so sorting out how to word things is taking some time. :smiling_face:

9 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity
I’ve read the responses to your questions and they support the issue of an afterlife.
Your body will deteriorate and cease to function. What happens then?
The Christian belief is ‘heaven’ is happiness, joy, and fine mansions. Muslins get a bunch of virgins. The Norse are carried away by a beautiful warrior woman to Vallhalla, a place where they fight all day and party all night.
I know that sounded condescending and maybe it was. All I know for sure is my karma is good and my soul is prepared for anything.
Take care,
Garnet

8 Likes

An odd little musing of mine (when are they not odd…)

String theory suggests there are more dimensions than we are aware of. We are already Multi-dimensional beings - length, width, depth and time at least.

Imagine a two dimensional plane. Now place a paper cup on it. To a two dimensional bug, that cup would appear as a circle. Now imagine water comes and destroys the bottom of the cup. Does the rest of the cup cease to exist in higher dimensions merely because the bottom ceased to exist on the two dimensional plane?

If our bodies cease to exist here, does that mean that we cease to exist in higher dimensions? Maybe it does, but maybe it doesn’t.

The moral of the story is be the best person you can, because it might matter regardless of what we believe or can prove.

10 Likes

Hello @Cosmic_Curiosity , I am sorry for your losses. I will add in my cents too for that is worth.

I too have had experiences with loved ones after death. I believe there are different planes of existence. I believe there can be reincarnation, that the soul makes the choice or is at least part of the choice/agreement with others we have reincarnated with before. If we don’t reincarnate here then we have moved on to different planes of existences and maybe come back ‘later’ to reincarnate. For me, reincarnation doesn’t invalidate my experiences with my loved ones who have passed. I don’t believe reincarnation happens instantly. Time is an illusion anyways, like @MeganB was mentioning.

I haven’t spent much time thinking about the afterlife in the past 15 years though as I have children and I want to be alive for them for many more years to come. I will likely come back to this topic as I age.

I left the church, in a large part, because of the dogma. I, personally, would choose to ignore someone if they told me I couldn’t be Wiccan if I didn’t believe in reincarnation or that it was an absolute must. (I am a bit of a rebel when it comes to strong exclusionary beliefs) And if it was a huge thing then I would simply be me, a witch, or even just a human with a soul on a journey who currently is loving exploring magick and the extra sensory things life has to offer.

I am happy for you that you had these experiences with your loved ones :heart:. May they be held as treasures in your heart.

10 Likes

@anon87969570
Look at you, all grown up and showing how brilliant you are.
Blessings
Garnet

8 Likes

Daily laughter, even when it’s silly, is my Youth Spell. I didn’t mean to show off, it just seemed like these thoughts fit the conversation. But I’m happy to be a Brilliant Boy if you say so! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I don’t have the brain space to ponder this question :laughing: but it’s a good question!

8 Likes

@Garnet

this is the great truth and the right path of life! Be blessed!
such a beautiful soul!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.