Candles : use once ? or Reuse?

I agree 100%. It’s just dogmatic.

I think a lot of it comes to personal superstition, which can still have a lot of power. If I’ve been told not to do something since I was a child (for example, one was, always put your right shoe first!) :laughing: then it’s really hard to change that even when there’s no reasonable explanation for it.

12 Likes

Oh THANK YOU! I think the common thread here is do what is responsible, ethical and economically sound… wow… that sounds like ‘common sense’. Gee, I can still hear both my parents admonish me with “Use your common sense” … it seem a rare commodity these days and to hear it expressed in these answers is a breath of fresh air. I agree that some ritual has power and REASONING has a lot to feed into INTENTION. I thank EVERYONE for their thoughtful responses. I am madly making notes! LOL

11 Likes

Berta, Looks like everyone already answered you questions. I keep my candles and been useing chime spells candles so I don’t feel bad for wasting!
As far as elemental clearing which is to clear an object of negative energies with one or more of these elemental rituals earth water fire and air!
Maybe you could look up Elemental clearing in the search bar!I don’t know how to give you a link! But There are some suggestions for elemental clearing! Sometimes if you pass sage 5 to 7 times over burning incense or smoke cleanse it was sage Palo Santo or cinnamon! Or pass it through a white candle to clear energies.
I hope that helps, glad we have such a awesome group and they all had great suggestions!
Jeannie

11 Likes

Great Idea. Thanks for the link. I will definitely look into it.

10 Likes

The page that Jeannie suggested for Elemental Clearing can be found here! :printer:

9 Likes

But what if you melt them again and make them into a new candle? Even if you’ve used them for a spell. And just get a new wick. Is that okay?

7 Likes

Hello @berta can I reuse the candle I used to initiate myself ( The Goddess and God) Wicca

7 Likes

This is just an opinion but I believe Wicca teaches us to use the resources we have to their fullest potential. To me, melting down the old candles to make new ones or reusing them for other spells is okay. :grin:

8 Likes

Welcome @KylieEy and @michael9!

While I don’t recommend reusing materials that may have taken on negative energy (for example, materials used in Black/Baneful Magick or for drawing negative energy- I’d suggest ritually disposing these), I agree with Benjamin about the benefits of repurposing :+1:

I think the act of repurposing can give used materials a new life, which can then be used anew for different spellwork. For an extra boost, you could incorporate some element of cleansing to clear the energy as part of the repurposing process :recycle:

Good luck and blessed spellwork! :sparkles:

8 Likes

Ooo, love tea lights, mainly because they are so simple to customize, ex: I have one of those coffee cup warmers you plug in and keep on your desk… if I have a need for a specific color/fragrance/corresponding herb/crystal chips, I’ll place a piece of aluminum foil (to protect my warmer mostly) place the tea candle and proceed to melt the wax, adding corresponding items as it cools down. Oh, as for color, I either add food coloring or my son’s old busted crayon shavings bit by bit until I like the color or combination of colors. When I’m adding the items one at a time I charge with specific intentions. As for reusing old candles, I’ve done the same, if they have specific intentions like for a spell, then no I won’t reuse. Watchtowers/quarters, prayer, meditation, grounding and such then yes… I just need to or recycle a container/glass/votive and buy wicks. Hope that helps :waxing_crescent_moon::full_moon_with_face::waning_crescent_moon:

Oh yeah, this melting and reusing works pretty well on all your broken chime candles and you can reuse those wicks, ta da!

13 Likes

I know this is an older thread but I’ve seen this come up in several forums so, without being asked (LMAO) I will happily provide my two-cents.
Spell candles are reusable.
First, all magic deals with intention. So, if for some reason the candle didn’t burn completely the first time, but the ritual/session is over, the candle’s use still holds or carries over.
Second, the candle is best reused for a similar working. For example, if you used a blue candle to aid in communications, then reuse it in a working with a similar purpose.
For me, the entire point is that intention is the magic, all the herbs, candles, sigils, etc open up pathways to aid that intention in seeking manifestation.
That’s why substitutions can be used.
In this case, you’re simply substituting a previously worked candle for a new one!
Thanks

7 Likes

That’s pretty much my thoughts, too! The only one I wouldn’t reuse is a spell candle for baneful magic. I think that’s best left as a one-and-done :laughing: Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

6 Likes

Understood.
Although I don’t do baneful magic per se, I would say that the ‘baneful’ energies would carry over from a successful spell and may make the present ritual more potent.

Same with protective rituals. If you used a candle for a protective ritual, and the ritual worked, then that candle is ‘charged’ at least psychologically and would add to the potency of the next protective spell.

I’m not saying to save all your candles and only perform half rituals, etc. Perform the rituals as they present themselves.

But the idea is similar to talismans, etc. Once it has performed successfully (remember, candles are items that transform the passive energy around it into a kinetic flame! Technically self-charging) it then generates that same energy into all future works until it’s spent.

Thanks

4 Likes

Hmm… :thinking: That makes sense, too. My original thought when re-using candles is to repurpose them for other spells. I think if the spell is similar enough, or on the same “topic”, so to speak, then it wouldn’t necessarily be an issue. It looks like my brain is mixing up “re-use” and “re-purpose” :joy:

So like, I wouldn’t necessarily re-use a candle from a protection spell in a spell to draw in money or abundance. For me, the protection spell creates a sort of barrier, and I wouldn’t want an obstacle in place if I’m trying to draw in abundance. I hope that makes sense :sweat_smile: It’s been a long day and I’m tired :sleeping:

4 Likes

No, that was perfect. I couldn’t agree more

4 Likes

Well I am a little late to the subject but I did just run into this. I reuse candles (own personal choice) unless I carve them then I throw those away if not burnt completely. I use glass pillar prayer candles for daily meditation and I let their color represent the intention of the candle. For my spells I will use chime or tea light and I will resue if not burnt or didn’t form any melted wax shapes. For my spell bottles I use birthday candles since they are small and I can control melting the wax on the top of the jar better and the candle is so small that I use it up no waste. And last but not least, I use long skinny birthday candles when I am doing a short spell but the sbell requires the candle to burn completely. I get my candles from the Dollar Store :money_mouth_face: ($1.25) except the chime candles I get those from Amazon. I also have a yoga alter which I only use those candles when I’m doing yoga they are Chakra specific colors and blends.

FYI if you get candles from the Dollar store please check the wicks they sometimes will have metal and you very rarely find soy candles.:face_with_raised_eyebrow::flushed: So if soy is your thing don’t go to the Dollar Store. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes