Catch Up Challenge: Cat Magick - Egyptian Cat Deities

Oh wow! Such a great post & those are some amazing pictures also! :revolving_hearts: I do like cats so I enjoyed reading about the Cat Deities for Egypt! I remember my mom telling me things about cats in Egypt & how they wereā€¦ highly revered :thinking: thereā€¦ I think thatā€™s the wordā€¦ :laughing: She was absolutely :100: a cat lover & especially the big cats. Which I canā€™t honestly say that I donā€™t like them also :rofl:

I can see that this has already been added to the Egyptian Deities Master post so that is wonderful! Thank you for the information :blush: & amazing pictures! :camera_flash:

6 Likes

Thank you and are most welcome. I am currently putting together info ablut the Egyptian Moon deitiesā€¦who are strangely all male. This is somewhat unsual when you look at the other major pantheons.

I should have it done by Monday

6 Likes

Oh that is awesome too & also a bit curiousā€¦ other pantheons mostly have female deities associated with the moon :full_moon: So that is quite interesting! :face_with_monocle: I am looking forward to that post! But please there is no rush, so donā€™t put any undue pressure on yourself to finish it by Monday :blush:

5 Likes

Iā€™m the same way - the stories themselves are interesting, for sure! If I had more time in my day, I think Iā€™d spend more time reading mythology and learning about different cultures. Your post definitely helped me learn more about Egyptian mythology!

6 Likes

What a beautiful thread and a treat for a cat lover! :smile_cat: :two_hearts:

While reading about Bast, Iā€™ve always felt like there was something missing from the storyā€¦ like hereā€™s the cat, but where are the claws? :smile_cat: The part about Sekhmet made things click. Iā€™ve been following a priestess of hers, and thereā€™s been something familiar about the energy I havenā€™t been able to place. Now that picture looks clearer too :heart:

That duality of light and dark feminine. Feels like it crops up again and again. The whole madonna / whore thing, oneā€™s a healer and the other a destroyer. Oneā€™s the good girl who does as sheā€™s told and keeps quiet, and the otherā€™s the exciting one you canā€™t handle. So over the time Bast and Sekhmet got this deal tooā€¦ that explains things.

Now to get to know the real Goddesses with all the parts that donā€™t fit inside a neat box :black_heart:

(Good things cats are liquid and neatly fit any kind of a box, claws and all! :smile_cat:)

8 Likes

I think Sekhmet is already dual in nature, as sheā€™s an aspect of Hathor. Itā€™s relatable, though. Iā€™m generally nice until someone hurts my loved ones and then I might turn into Sekhmet myself. :smile:

7 Likes

Speaking of which, I recently tried to draw Sekhmet.

Sharing again because the other one is buried in the Demonolatry club where others might not think to look for her. :joy:

8 Likes

Oh hello there dark beauty :black_heart:
One knows how to draw another :wink:

She sounds very similar to Kali :black_heart: Having been a people pleaser most of my life the wildness feels really refreshing :blush: Just very free self expression, letting whatever wants to flow flow. Even if itā€™s something as damnable as slaughtering everyone around you ā€“ not something weā€™d take into practice obviously, but that very real impulse is there sometimes and can be met with love too.

8 Likes

I love this. So different to the traditionalportrayal.of Sekhmet. She looks beautiful but not to be messed with!

7 Likes