Cats and paranormal

I was wondering. Do cats have any paranormal significance? Someons told me that cats protect or ward off the paranormal.

10 Likes

Hi @Dragonfly97,

Yes! Cats have a long-standing association with the magickal arts and the occult :black_cat:

You may have seen cats depicted alongside witches in Halloween decorations- this is due to the association in some cultures of cats (or demons/spirits taking the shape of cats) working with witches in their Craft.

In Ancient Egypt, cats were sacred- you may have heard of the Cat Goddess Bastet, who was believed to turn into a cat. Supposedly Her temples were once home to many kitties.

There’s a section about the connection between cats and witches on the site, I’ll link it here:

What’s the connection between cats and witches?

The connection between cats and witches has its roots in ancient times when cats were revered and worshipped by many cultures, including the Egyptians and the Norse. Cats were seen as mysterious and mystical creatures with the ability to see in the dark and move silently and stealthily. As Christianity began to spread across Europe, the Church began to demonize pagan beliefs, including the reverence for cats. Cats were associated with witchcraft and devil worship…

Despite the negative association with cats in some cultures, many people today still find cats to be fascinating and mystical creatures. They remain a popular subject in witchcraft and other mystical traditions, and are often depicted in popular culture as the familiar companions of witches and other magical beings.

From Spells8: Magickal Names for your Feline Friends

Cats are beloved friends and companions- I could definitely see how some kitties would help their owner to keep the space safe! (Not my kitties though- one is a loaf of laziness and the other is a tiny squeaky mouse man :joy_cat: )

The magickal correspondences of cats vary by culture and person- some might see black cats as bad luck, for example, but I haven’t found black cats to be particularly less or more lucky than any other kitties. In this case, I think it largely depends on both the person, their beliefs, and the kitty in question :black_cat:

I’m sure others will have some thoughts for you too!

Blessed be :paw_prints:

8 Likes

I think animals are more “in tune” with nature generally :purple_heart:. I have had both dogs and cats that have seen things we do not. Cats may be better than dogs in this respect, but I believe both can pick up on “energies” that roam around our dwellings. I have had “earthbounds” here and my pets used to let me know when they were around and by their reactions I could tell whether they were negative or neutral. :imp:

6 Likes