Celebrating Mabon 🍎

With Mabon approaching quickly (Septemper 21-29 according toGoogle) and my growing interest in learning about the Sabbats (this being the first time I get to celebrate Mabon) I decided to do a little research.

The name Mabon comes from the Welsh God, Mabon, who was the son of the Earth Mother Goddess, Modron, who was kidnapped for three days after his birth making light go into hiding. However, there is evidence that the name was adopted in the 1970s, and the holiday was not originally a Celtic celebration.

Mabon or Fall/Autumn Equinox is also called The Second Harvest Festival, the Festival of Dionysus, Harvest of First Fruits, and Wine Harvest.

During Medieval times, Christianized European peasants celebrated the autumn equinox as the Feast of the Archangel Michael.

The autumnal equinox occurs on September 22 this year And is recognized by pagans as a time of giving thanks (the pagan Thanksgiving). This is because it is the time when farmers know how well their summer crops did and if their animals were fed well enough to have enough food for the winter. Originally Americans celebrated thanksgiving on October 3 which makes sense as crops have usually died from the cold by the end of November and there isn’t much left to harvest (I thought this was particularly interesting and had wondered why Mabon was a harvest celebration of thanksgiving when it happens in September and thanksgiving isn’t until November :joy:). Mabon is the time of the year to celebrate balance, reflection, and grace.

Ways in which this Sabbat are celebrated are (but not limited to):

• Picking apples as apples are a symbol of the second harvest and commonly associated with the fall season.
  • Using apples in rituals performed to give thanks for a bountiful harvest
  • Rituals to restore balance and harmony to their lives
  • Setting up a Mabon themed altar including symbols of the harvest such as apples, :grapes: grapes, squash, pumpkins etc.
  • Bonfires and feasts with family and friends with food harvested during the season.

Among the symbols used during this season are mid-autumn vegetables like:

• squash
  • eggplant :eggplant:
  • pumpkin
  • gourd
  • anything made from apples :apple: like :pie: pie, cider, and sauce
  • baskets and harvesting tools symbolizing gathering of crops
  • anything made of grapes, especially wine

Colors:
orange, red, yellow, gold, and brown

A Mabon altar is set up using traditional harvest colors; mid-autumn crops including squash, pumpkin :jack_o_lantern: (the only pumpkin emoji I have :woman_shrugging:t3:), acorns, nuts :peanuts:, grapes :grapes:, wine :wine_glass: pomegranates, :bread: bread, honey, and Indian :corn: corn, and symbols of your deity. Leaves :fallen_leaf:, twigs, and, and feathers are also included.

The sources used as reference for this post are:
[Kidskonnect](Mabon Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, July 23, 2019)
And
The Boston public library website

16 Likes

@phoenix_dawn very nice hon, thanks for sharing it

6 Likes

Today I was lucky enough to attended an local witch meetup to start planning for a MABON ritual. Definitely an awesome experience and I’m looking so forward to my first group ritual.

Wish you could come !

8 Likes

Awwww @JasmineTheBlueJ I totally wish I could too. I would love that. Living in the bible belt of Alabama we don’t really have anything like that to attend here but I intend to host a bonfire and dinner for a few close friends that know about what I am/do and are local so they can celebrate with me. Though it’s probably just gonna be me, my mom (who doesn’t practice but loves bonfires and is supportive of my beliefs mostly) and my daughter who will also be celebrating her first Mabon as she has just started her initiation journey herself and will be doing her actual initiation with me on Samhain.

8 Likes

Great information! Thank you so much for sharing! I’m gonna start on the apple recipes soon I think!

9 Likes

Good info! Thanks for sharing. It’ll be my first Mabon too!
Ritual baking of my first apple :apple: pie sounds like an awesome idea :grin:
:revolving_hearts:

8 Likes

@Peaches I’m told that you can scratch a sigil into the top and bottom crusts and it’ll help to add your intentions to the pie as it bakes

7 Likes

Phoenix- I’m getting hungry looking at this post! Lol :laughing:
I can’t wait to feast and have fun!
Love the colors of Mabon!

Blessed be!
Jeannie

11 Likes

@Jeannie1 me too! Fall has always been my favorite season and Halloween was always mine and my daughter’s favorite holiday but I enjoyed celebrating Lammas (which wasn’t my first Sabbat but the first one I was able to really celebrate. I celebrated Litha but I hadn’t really started learning about the sabbats yet) so I’m extra excited for Mabon and Samhain. Lol

9 Likes

I think it’s awesome your still you despite the norm in your area ! That’s awesome!

8 Likes

@JasmineTheBlueJ I am I’m just a lot more quiet about it :laughing::shushing_face:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this @phoenix_dawn ! So timely! I was planning a bonfire anyway, but this information about Mabon will really help me dial in my celebration!

5 Likes

Funny thing was my mom and I were just talking about having one tomorrow until Ida decided to rain on our parade :joy: I’ll save it for Mabon now

5 Likes

Only 23 days until Mabon! :maple_leaf:

It’s strange that Lincoln declared the fourth Thursday of November a national day of giving thanks. Like you said, by the end of November, the harvest is over. Changing it to the third or last week in September might not sit well with parents since some kids have barely been back to school for a month.

Anyway, I plan to decorate my altar this week! Hoping I can find some real acorns before all the squirrels get to them. :laughing: This year, I think I’ll do what I did last year and have a small Thanksgiving dinner. :turkey: :plate_with_cutlery: :turkey:

4 Likes

@Kasandra girl I’ve got acorns and hickory nuts coming out of my ears :joy: I started collecting them back in April. My soon to be ex husband looked at me and said “wth are you doing you ain’t no squirrel” :chipmunk: he just doesn’t get it :laughing:

4 Likes

Just a quick little morsel that I gathered while studying my pantheon… Freya is also known as mordoll which would translate to modron in some stories as Norse transitioned to Welsh so essentially Freya is the mother of Mabon… At least that’s how I see it. If anyone more knowledgeable disagrees please jump in

2 Likes