Celtic Fairies outside of Celtic Countries

Well there’s some nightmare fuel for us! Thank you :joy: :upside_down_face: :laughing:

5 Likes

I don’t work with the Fae :thinking: I don’t believe I have any around or at least anymore… at 1 time I did come across what I believed were Fairy Rings, but definitely didn’t bother/cross them or anything & kept the area pretty tidy. They seem to have moved along. Or as far as I know anyway :rofl:

5 Likes

Sounds like your Grandad was quite the storyteller- I would have been too chicken to hear stories like that before bed haha, but I bet they would make for fun Halloween/Samhain tales! :ghost: :grinning:

Same here! :joy: Some tales depict the leszy as more of a guardian spirit of the forest and that he will only bother those who hurt the woods and the creatures in it. But other tales (including The Witcher, where the leszy is a monster the main character fights) aren’t quite so nice haha.

Always happy to share the nightmares around- sharing is caring! :joy: :japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

See, I’m okay with this! That makes a lot of sense. Plus, it’s a good way to ensure the forest is taken care of. No one wants the leszy to come after them :grimacing:

4 Likes

:joy:We need more of these leszy, and if they made themselves visible to everyone, I think our planet would be more respected. Rise up Fae! :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Ya know, that’s a really good point!

I think at some point in time, at least here in the United States, many people (but not all) have lost touch with the traditional folklore that keeps places like forests and nature safe and sacred. Now, if everyone knew of a creature such as the leszy – not sure what the US creature would be – then you’re right! Maybe people would have more respect for the world and nature.

There’s also something to be said about belief fueling existence. I’m not saying that these beings don’t exist - I am fully of the opinion that yes, there are spirits and entities much more powerful than I can imagine. But if someone doesn’t believe in these beings or know them to be real, then they may not care about what they do. They would also be more likely to explain away experiences they have rather than face the idea that there’s something out there bigger than them…hmm…

Just thoughts :sweat_smile: not sure if it makes any sense at all, but I can tell you that after telling my daughter the story of the Wendigo, she’s much less likely to be selfish at the expense of others.

5 Likes

Hence my Grandads “bedtime” stories. They imprinted on me something because I knew there were beings out there, watching. :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

I admit I don’t know enough about US mythical creatures, but I bet there’s at least a few out there who prefer respect over fear, or serve some other purpose in their habitats!

From VOA: Mythical (But Possibly Real) Creaturs That Roam the USA

I agree! There is a lot of power in belief- and I think some people out there need an extra push to do certain things (such as respect nature) :deer:

4 Likes

You and me both… :thinking: I wonder if there’s a deeper reason why we don’t hear about mythical creatures and entities in the US. We always hear about other beings, such as Celtic Fae, rather than the creatures here. Entities like Bigfoot or the Wendigo get brushed off as myths and legends, yet people connect to the stories of the Fae or even the Loch Ness Monster.

More thoughts to ponder, I suppose!

3 Likes

I dont know much about US ‘fae’, but you must have alot. Shows like Supernatural and Grimm are full of lore from your lands. I’m going to do some digging. :thinking:

3 Likes

Oh you have lots. Just peeked on wikipedea and theres wonderful tales. Added screenshot, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore_of_the_United_States

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I’m sure there are plenty. We just don’t hear about them often or learn about them. I believe there’s even a book that came out within the last few years about North American creatures and folk magick. I would have to look again, to be sure!

3 Likes

Wow, there really are a lot! Thanks for sharing, Tracy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It does make me ponder too- like Megan said, tales about local creatures here in the US don’t seem to be nearly as popular as tales of creatures from other places. Perhaps it’s less scary to think about critters far away, as opposed to the ones that might be in your backyard? :joy:

Creatures and magick combined? That sounds like a fun book! :closed_book: :star_struck:

3 Likes

I haven’t read it (yet) but it seems good! It may just be folk magic, but that’s still interesting!

This is the book: https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Witchery-Trove-American/dp/0738762121

3 Likes

@MeganB wow… this is sooo wild, I’ve been wondering/researching trying to find more reliable information. The very first deck I I was given is Healing with the Fairies Oracle Cards and I’ve had then a minute now but didn’t quite feel super connected with it.But then about 2 weeks ago I was like really feeling drawn to them, like seeing fairy (esk) EVERYTHING.

@marsha They were in this documentary about Ireland & the fairy trees & mounds. And the people in Ireland would never move a fairy tree or mound, and the ones that have, have lost everything

4 Likes

Agreed! It’s got 480 pages and a solid 5-star review- looks very promising indeed :eyes: :heart:

Don’t mind me just dropping that onto my wishlist… :laughing: :+1:

3 Likes

Am going to read this. :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

It sounds like you’re finding a connection to the Fae and your oracle deck. That’s awesome!

It’s on mine, for sure! I’ve listened to their podcast for a while, too. It’s the same name - New World Witchery!

I hope you enjoy it! Oh! You can even add it for the :books: Spells8 Book Club!!

4 Likes

@MeganB Wait no way?! They have a podcast i need that in my life definitely! Yes girl they were gifted to me by my very special soul sister the beautiful strong ass woman who helped my realize my true power & journey!

The cards are absolutely gorgeous! My shitty tablet doesn’t do them justice. But ive been obsessed w them!

5 Likes

Yup! They’ve had a podcast for quite a while, and it’s one of the first podcasts I ever listened to on the topic of witchcraft. They’re the ones that inspired me to start my own podcast :joy: here’s their link!

Podcasts – New World Witchery – The Search for American Traditional Witchcraft

I love that deck - it’s so pretty! I’m glad you were gifted it and that you’ve found a connection to it. It’s beautiful!

5 Likes