Chai Tea Spice Cake Recipe

Hey all! I promised @Limeberry a Chai Tea Cake recipe so here it is! I tried to upload a picture but I don’t have it in the right format. It’s awful pretty though!

Chai Tea Spice Cake Recipe

Cake Ingredients:

1 cup Milk Warm
8 Teabags Vanilla spiced chai tea flavor
1 cup Butter Unsalted
1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
4 Eggs Large
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Ginger Finely grated
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp Cloves powder

Directions:

Pour warm milk into a deep bowl and add all the tea bags. Let them sit for about 10 minutes. Then, squeeze out all the milk from the tea bags and discard them. Keep this chai milk aside for now and move on to the next step.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, one at a time, while continuing to mix.

Add vanilla extract and ground ginger and mix again.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and all the spices.

Dump this dry mixture into the wet mixture. Mix everything together while adding the chai milk until just combined. The batter will be thick and there might be some lumps but don’t over mix!

Pour this batter into two 8x2 greased/floured round cake pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool down completely.

Then, trim the edges and tops of each cake with a sharp knife.

Place one cake on a cake stand and frost the top with frosting. I used a piping bag with tip #1M.

Spread some chopped pistachios and drizzle some caramel sauce.

Then, place the other cake on top of this frosting layer.

Pour some caramel sauce around the edges of the cake only.

Finally, frost the top of this cake with frosting and toss some more pistachios. Slice and enjoy!

Frosting Ingredients:

8 oz cream full-fat cream cheese
½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
4 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 tbsp meringue powder (for stability)
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Directions:

In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter.

Add vanilla extract and mix again.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cornstarch, and meringue powder.

Start adding this sugar mixture (1/2 cup at a time) into the wet mixture, while continuing to mix until all the sugar is incorporated.

Caramel Ingredients:

1 cup Granulated sugar
1/4 cup Water
1/2 cup Heavy cream Warm
2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
1 tsp Vanilla extract Optional
3/4 tsp Salt Optional

Instructions:

In a non-stick saucepan, add sugar and water and cook on medium heat for 10-12 minutes until the mixture is bubbling and becomes golden brown and sugar is fully dissolved.

Add warm heavy cream in the saucepan and mix thoroughly and let the mixture simmer for about 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and add the butter, vanilla extract, salt, and mix until smooth.

Serve warm with pancakes, waffles e.t.c, and enjoy!

~Personally I think if you don’t l like pistachios, you could use another nut. I think walnut or pecan would be awesome!

Enjoy! :woman_cook: :grin:

3 Likes

Oh my… this sounds sooo good. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe!!! @Amethyst
I just got weighed at the doctor’s office and I think the last time I weighed this much I was pregnant with one of my kids… :flushed:
I may have to be drinking my chai tea plain and unadulterated for the foreseeable future until I can work off a few of these social distancing pounds.

3 Likes

Omg :drooling_face:
It’s amazing.
Thanks @Amethyst you found a gem there :+1:t2:

2 Likes

You’re welcome @berta! Sorry to have tempted you away from your diet.

You’re welcome! I’m just sorry I couldn’t find a way to post the picture, it’s very pretty when made.

2 Likes

That’s some fancy pants kitchen terminology! :joy: Gosh, I bet the cake came out AMAZING! I would definitely substitute pistachios for walnuts- I’ve always found walnuts to go wonderfully with the other warming and wintery spices in this recipes :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

There are some great ideas in here @Amethyst- thanks so much for sharing! I’m feeling the motivation, so I might give some kind of chai cake based off this recipe a try in the next few days~ :cake::yum:

You’re a brave one for getting on the scale, @Berta! :laughing: I haven’t weighed myself since February :face_with_hand_over_mouth: . I know what I’ll see there… so I figure I might as well just avoid looking at the new numbers and continue telling myself I’m just prepping to stay warm this winter :bear::grin:

3 Likes

You’re a brave one for getting on the scale,

HAHAHA… well I would have remained blissfully ignorant of my extra 14 extra pounds if the doctor hadn’t had me stand on the scale! I was shocked!!!

3 Likes

You’re welcome! :grin: They had mini cakes at the store yesterday, it was difficult walking away from them, but they’d be bad for my sugar.

2 Likes

Ahhhh I guess there’s no escape when the doctor tells it to you straight like that, @Berta :laughing: I had my doctor’s check-up a few months back too and they didn’t weigh me. Not sure if they just don’t so that at standard check-ups in Poland or if it was too busy and they forgot… but I certainly didn’t bring it up! I remain blissfully unaware of any new numbers :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I wish I had self-restraint like you, @Amethyst! That is impressive :clap: My self-restraint involves eating only one piece of cake instead of two :woman_facepalming:

Gonna try to make a chai recipe this weekend! I’ve got some extra bananas, so I’m feeling a Chai Spice Banana Cake :yum: We’ll see what happens! :laughing:

2 Likes

It helped that the mini cakes were expensive. LOL. It’s nearing the end of the month, I gotta save my money for Thanksgiving shopping. Ten bucks for cake is a bit much.

OOh, Chai Spice Banana Cake! That sounds good!

1 Like

Sometimes listening to your wallet over your stomach is the best way to stick to a diet :laughing::+1: 10 bucks for mini cakes!!? Yikes- good for you for walking away. Your Thanksgiving treats will be much more delicious, I’m sure of it! :yum:

And yes! I made a banana chai cake over the weekend :banana::coffee: I used your recipe- although I kept throwing in extra things or making exceptionss and I had to make a smaller batch so I cut back on a lot of things. It turned into a cake all its own, but this recipe was definitely the inspiration! :heart:

Banana chai cake with cranberries and an oatmeal streusel topping! I found that it’s mostly delicious served warm with a little ice cream and whipped cream on top :yum:

Thanks again for your inspiring recipe, @Amethyst! :grin:

1 Like

Oh my gosh that looks so good! I’m glad I inspired you! And now I want cake for breakfast. LOL.

1 Like