Challenge entry #1 Natural health and healing

For this challenge entry i want to share a salve i made to help with a rash on my leg! I made a calendula and rosemary salve with bees wax and olive oil.

Calendula is known for helping wounds heal faster! It has antioxidants that help skin regenerate and anti inflammatory properties. It can also help improve stretch marks and soothe diaper rashes.

Rosemary is rich in antioxidants and is also anti inflammatory, anti fungal, helps with achne, and dandruff. It can even reverse hair loss!

I chose these specifically to heal, but they have sooo many amazing benefits!

15 Likes

Wow that looks great can u share how to make it? Maybe it could help my slight psoriasis.

12 Likes

started by making a calendula olive oil and a rosemary olive oil using a slow infusion method.

Slow Infusion Method

1. Fill a clean dry jar with dried herb - lightly packing down like a bed for a fairy! Not too
    fluffy, not too firm.
  2. Optional: Once you know how much herb you will be using… blend/grind herbs to a fine
    powder. I use an Osterizer blender because a narrow mouthed mason jar fits on the
    base! As you saw in the workshop grinding the herb creates more surface area which
    then extracts more colour and herbal goodness!
  3. Optional: Once herbs are grinded add a tiny splash of alcohol (White Lightening 100
    proof vodka) shake to combine. Cover with the lid and let sit 4 hours or overnight. This is
    called intermediate extraction and help to release some of the resins and alcohol soluble
    properties into your oil.
  4. Add oil all the way to the top stirring in the herb or shaking to make sure all the herb is
    covered. You may need to top up your jar with oil the next day.
  5. Seal with an airtight lid and let sit for 6 weeks in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
  6. Shake to blend daily (at least for the first few days and whenever you remember). This is
    a great time to add your intention and love!
  7. Strain through cheesecloth or clean muslin fabric, squeezing out as much as you can!
    Make sure to compost the herbal material. OR tie up the cloth and bring your herbal oil
    bomb into the bath with you.
  8. Store in a glass bottle or jar out of direct sunlight. ENJOY!

And this is the method i used for making the salve:

400 mL of combined herbal oil
40 g beeswax

1. Measure the infused oils into a heat proof bowl (pyrex works well!)
  2. Grate and weigh the beeswax and add to oil
  3. Place bowl in a double boiler to warm gently until the wax has thoroughly dissolved
  4. Pour into clean dark glass containers and label
13 Likes

Thankyou for sharing this
Bookmarked it

12 Likes

Calendula is one of my favorites for balms and salves, although I don’t usually add rosemary - they seem like a great pair! :blossom: :herb: :grinning:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and the crafting instructions, Kyrstyn! It sounds like a very handy one to have in a home apoethcary/medicine shelf :blush: :pray:

Blessed be!

8 Likes

Your very welcome! Ive actually decided to study herbalism as a career! Its been alot of fun :grin:

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing, I’ve printed this out and will be making myself come soon! :herb: :sunflower:

9 Likes

That’s awesome! There is a lot of power in herbalism - it’s a great way to nurture healing skills that will help you and your loved ones. Wishing you all the best with your studies! :herb: :books: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

@Kyrstyn thanks for sharing it with us! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes