Classic Hoppin' John

Here is some good luck food for the New Year!

Classic Hoppin’ John

Active Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 1 hrs 30 mins
Yield: 6 serves

Ingredients:

6 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped

4 celery stalks, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

3 garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided

8 cups lower-sodium chicken broth

4 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups uncooked Carolina Gold rice

Fresh scallions, sliced

Directions:

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until starting to crisp, about 10 minutes.

Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.

Add broth and black-eyed peas, and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas are tender about 40 minutes.

Drain pea mixture, reserving cooking liquid. Return the pea mixture and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to the Dutch oven. Cover to keep warm; set aside.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in 3 cups of the reserved cooking liquid and the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.

Fluff rice with a fork, and gently stir into pea mixture in Dutch oven.

Stir in the remaining cooking liquid, 1⁄4 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Sprinkle servings with sliced fresh scallions.

Recipe courtesy of Southern Living.

4 Likes

Thank you Amethyst I love southern cooking :shallow_pan_of_food:
Jeannie

4 Likes

You’re welcome! It’s supposed to be good luck to eat these on New Year’s so I had to share.

3 Likes

Hooray! This is a fun recipe and bonus if it brings a bit of luck for the New Year! :partying_face:

I still don’t know what we’ll cook for the occasion (we used to do Surf n’ Turf, but we’ll see if that happens- it takes a lot of planning and I feel lazy! :laughing:). I definitely want to do the New Year’s cinnamon ritual, though- so maybe I’ll bake something with cinnamon too! :brown_heart:

Thank you for your awesome recipes, @Amethyst- I look forward to seeing them every week! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m not a big fan of black-eyed peas or cabbage. Maybe that’s why I’m so poor throughout the rest of the year. LOL!

3 Likes

Same here with the black-eyed peas! As for the cabbage, well, I like to joke that every meal in Poland is a year’s worth of cabbage (it’s everywhere and in everything- there’s one soup called bigos that is basically just stewed cabbage :leafy_green: :laughing:)

So maybe the magick is in the peas- because if it was just the cabbage, I think I’d be a millionaire by now! :joy:

Lots of love :heart:

3 Likes

Stewed cabbage. Maybe if you promised you’d pay me to eat it I’d go there but other than that, ewww. LOL!

3 Likes

Hahaha I guess that’s one way to get prosperity from cabbage :joy::+1:

3 Likes