Confused new comer

Welcome @Damsel , as everyone has said above it will come in time and when it does you will know its right. I am so glad you are here and look forward to chatting.

10 Likes

Thank you all for touching out to me means alot to me. Feels good to finally be a part of something great and I will take the knowledge you all have giving me and use it during my lessons. :heart::heart::heart:

10 Likes

@Damsel When starting out it is very easy to become overwhelmed with the thought of finding out what type of practice you are drawn to. Esp in this time os ticktok, youtube, insta and other social media platforms where others like ourselves blast both good and bad information. This constant bombardment can aid in the confusion of those starting out. Your best rule of thumb is to follow your heart. You will know what you are drawn to as you grow. it may not be today it may not be tomorrow but in time you will. Our practices also are constantly evolving very rarely do they stay focused on one form. many things factor into our practice style The largest and most important is our environmental surroundings as they change as does our practice.
The most important thing for you is not the type of witch you are but learning your fundamentals and basic knowledge. You can evolve and grow into what calls you as you grow in your own practice and learn.

11 Likes

Hi there! A few people have given you some great advice and I’d like to offer another voice. It can be very confusing or overwhelming when you first start out and you’re not sure where to go. I find it helpful to answer or at least think about these questions.

:sparkles: How do you feel about divinity? Is it masculine? Feminine? Both? Neither?

:sparkles: How do spells work?

:sparkles: What sort of things are you interested in? Cooking and baking? Crafts? Art?

:sparkles: Do you have any ethics you can think of? Rules that you personally will follow? Things you will and won’t do?

:sparkles: What sort of divination method do you enjoy or feel called to? – it is my personal opinion that every witch, whether working with deities or not, should have a divination method to use

:sparkles: Are you interested in astrology? Tarot? Runes? Ancient history? – these are all great places to start

I also think that there is no one path that you should or shouldn’t follow. The path of the witch is ever changing, winding back and forth as we learn, grow, and change. It’s okay to change your mind and grow with your practice. Take your time and just enjoy the journey! :blush: :sparkles: :heart:

13 Likes

@MeganB
Oh. my Megan, that was beautifully done.
blessings
Garnet

9 Likes

Oh, that’s easy, you sprinkle rosemary around your bed and, in the morning, you’ll just know.

I am teasing! I don’t think it works like that (although now iIam wondering…LOL)

I guess it varies by the person? I am one of those people who love salad bars and buffets because I get to pick so many things…because I LIKE so many things…and usually my plate (literally and figuratively) has TOO MANY THINGS. So I guess my path is “eclectic” but it is probably more accurate to say my path has TOO MANY THINGS.

LOL. I think another easy way is what do you already like? If you already like gardening, cooking, creating art, the occult, trees, the ocean, fantasy and mythology, astology, writing, pets or animal rescue, etc then there are paths that fit nicely with those interests and so many more…

I am not sure I was helpful here.

i-want-all-the-things

11 Likes

Thank you I’ll definitely remember this.

6 Likes

You were very helpful. Thanks for the insights and incouraging words

7 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Offering edible foods to the Gods? How do you do it?

@Garnet all these things! Oh my goodness! A couple months in and I still need to hear this! :heart:

7 Likes

Thank you this was really helpful. I think I might try all the methods and see which one calls to me. You guys are so awesome❤️

6 Likes

You’re welocome! :sparkles: :heart: I’m always happy to help. Enjoy the journey on your path because there isn’t really a destination! :blush:

5 Likes

@Damsel
Dearest girl, When one of us hurts, all of us hurts, that’s what our family is all about.
Blessings and love
Garnet

6 Likes

Thanks for the video!

5 Likes

You made me laugh out loud :rofl: wouldn’t that be easy?

7 Likes

You’re welcome! :hugs:

5 Likes

I know I’m late to the party, but it takes time & as you go through the courses, forum, & life you will find your way.

For example, I joined Spells8 in July of 2020, I went through the courses,& by the end of August I was participating in the forum. I just wanted to know, have, & do ALL the THINGS that related to the craft. Eventually, I burnt out. A couple of smaller ones & after the courses, the most important thing is: What are you interested in making a part of your practice or do you want to try?

I knew right away after going through the courses, that I would need to work on meditation & focus. I used the Spells8 courses & Headspace courses. My anxiety/panic was so bad that I couldn’t sit still to save my life. Then I made it to 3 minutes & about 2 years later I am up to about 25 minutes of guided meditation. I was just doing meditation, spells, moon magic, daily devotionals, & printing every piece of information I could find on the site! I had 5 binders of a Book of Shadows… now most of what I do is on my computer, but the number of files is lessened. It’s also more organized by interest, aspects, & cards, look through the forum or go through lessons. I have bookmarks for witchy things on my web browser & phone. I had to simplify my practice to align with my daily life & limitations & focus on one portion at a time. If it’s been a while, I will read a recommended book, do lessons, or try something with what I know in a different way. I also rekindled my love of journaling. Although, honestly, since I was told not to do any Shadow Work until otherwise noted… I haven’t really a pen & a paper journal. I have written several letters & emails that never get sent & wind up destroyed by fire or deleting the email to no one out of my drafts.

Screenshot 2022-05-15 181706
Portion of my BOS folder

Bookmarks bar on my Chrome Web Browser.

I have since gone through the downloaded information & narrowed down my interests & path. One thing at a time, whatever piques your interest the most, should be your focus & by participating in the forum, you make get some good ideas for substitutes or other options when you run into a snag. Feel free to ask any question, at any time.

There are a lot of options & my best advice is to work on one thing at a time. I was working on my intuition & took courses to become a certified crystal healer which also helps you connect with your intuition & energy from the stones. The course also touches on chakras & corresponding stones & layouts. So I decided to learn more about the chakra systems. (In one system there are over 114 chakras. If you go back to at least 1000 BCE, there was a 5 chakra system. The 7 chakra system & the most widely used came many years later & as it has been modernized you can find information for 5, 7, 12, & 12+ chakras. I am keeping it to 7 thru 12 because those are the ones used in my courses, but it’s not bad to know about other schools of thought on the subject. So those led me to energy work. Last week & this week I will be working on healing & balancing my root chakra.

The courses touch on Reiki Healing. I will be going a little more in-depth once I am okay with moving energy within myself, releasing energy, grounding, aligning/balancing/healing my energy chakras & field/aura.

7 Likes

I’m not sure yet what has been calling to me but meditation is definitely a must and I feel more energy when I’m near water. That’s something I must look into.

5 Likes

I am strongly connected to water, when I lived for a few years landlocked, I had to move back to the coast & then eventually settled on Cape Cod. I can’t imagine not being near water! :ocean: :water_element:

Is your sun, moon, or rising sign a water sign? :pisces:, :cancer:, or :scorpius:

I would do look into the water element & it’s symbolism & qualities to see how much it resonates & on which levels. I have a lot of water in my chart & home. I’m always in the feels (easier said than done as an empath). Water is cleansing to me, calming, & I love to work with it in spells, rituals, or any type of work… Moon Water :droplet: is important in my practice.

You may want to check these out as a starting point:

7 Signs You are a Water Witch :droplet: Spells8
Elemental Water Spray :ocean:
:ocean: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Of the Element Water
Elements of Witchcraft Spells8
Water Element :droplet - Otherworldly Oracle

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.