Confused new comer

How does one choose what path to practice. I’m new to the witch world and I’m still learning and studying. But I am having trouble finding the right path. Any suggestions.

12 Likes

Welcome @Damsel,

You’re not alone- there are so many areas of magick and things to pursue in the Craft that it is very normal to have a hard time choosing where to start!

While there are many types of witches, please know that you do not have to choose just one. Many us of here are “Eclectic” meaning that we enjoy a diversity in our magickal practices. I consider myself to be a Green and Kitchen Witch, and I also enjoy exploring divination through tarot and tea leaf reading :tea:. It’s okay to wear multiple labels, or to prefer to not use any labels at all to define your Craft- your practice is your own! :sparkles:

I would recommend exploring the Courses as they offer a deep-dive into many of the most popular areas of magick. We also explore a different aspect/theme of witchcraft each week here in the forum through the challenges. This week’s challenge will launch today, but in the meantime you can check out the List of Past Witchy Challenges to view many different areas of magick :woman_mage:

Don’t be afraid to explore areas that call to you- through practice and learning, you will surely find the paths of magick where you feel most at home :blush:

Blessed be!

13 Likes

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. Most of us, not all of us but most of us, follow our own path. No two witches are alike. You may choose to honor a goddess with poetry while another will offer honey cakes. Neither one is the wrong way, it’s all up to you and what you feel inside.

Bry gave you some great links and some good advice. Take your time, you’re going to change a lot as you learn. You may start out Wiccan but change your mind down the road and that’s okay too.

There are as many types of witches as there are stars in the sky. Here’s another great video on the different types of witches. I hope it helps you out.

12 Likes

@Damsel, Have patience, dear one. Believe it or not, sometimes as you travel through your lessons, your practice and/or your life, It feels like you’re trying to navigate through fog. Then, Ta Da!, the fog clears and your “path” becomes clear too.
Alright, The wonder of Magick is, when you’ve chosen your path, you are not glued to said path. You may become Eclectic, Hermetic, Kitchen, Green etc. You can even continue to practice the religion you followed before you came here. If you aren’t happy and need/want more you can keep looking. Nothing about Witchcraft is written in stone.
I don’t mean to sound flip, but it’s like a shirt, If you aren’t happy with the one you just bought? Keep looking, the perfect one will show up.
I, have always been and Eclectic, Solitary Witch. Simply said I won’t be constrained by dogma or policy. If I don’t like something, I don’t do it or practice it. (This comes from growing up in the 60’s, you know? problems with authority figures. Ha Ha).
IMPORTANT! We are very protective of our members. You will never be asked for or to give up anything and if you are told otherwise? Let one of us know. And someone will help resolve the issue.
You have your whole life to make choices. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

Bright Blessing
Garnet

11 Likes

Welcome @Damsel , as everyone has said above it will come in time and when it does you will know its right. I am so glad you are here and look forward to chatting.

10 Likes

Thank you all for touching out to me means alot to me. Feels good to finally be a part of something great and I will take the knowledge you all have giving me and use it during my lessons. :heart::heart::heart:

10 Likes

@Damsel When starting out it is very easy to become overwhelmed with the thought of finding out what type of practice you are drawn to. Esp in this time os ticktok, youtube, insta and other social media platforms where others like ourselves blast both good and bad information. This constant bombardment can aid in the confusion of those starting out. Your best rule of thumb is to follow your heart. You will know what you are drawn to as you grow. it may not be today it may not be tomorrow but in time you will. Our practices also are constantly evolving very rarely do they stay focused on one form. many things factor into our practice style The largest and most important is our environmental surroundings as they change as does our practice.
The most important thing for you is not the type of witch you are but learning your fundamentals and basic knowledge. You can evolve and grow into what calls you as you grow in your own practice and learn.

11 Likes

Hi there! A few people have given you some great advice and I’d like to offer another voice. It can be very confusing or overwhelming when you first start out and you’re not sure where to go. I find it helpful to answer or at least think about these questions.

:sparkles: How do you feel about divinity? Is it masculine? Feminine? Both? Neither?

:sparkles: How do spells work?

:sparkles: What sort of things are you interested in? Cooking and baking? Crafts? Art?

:sparkles: Do you have any ethics you can think of? Rules that you personally will follow? Things you will and won’t do?

:sparkles: What sort of divination method do you enjoy or feel called to? – it is my personal opinion that every witch, whether working with deities or not, should have a divination method to use

:sparkles: Are you interested in astrology? Tarot? Runes? Ancient history? – these are all great places to start

I also think that there is no one path that you should or shouldn’t follow. The path of the witch is ever changing, winding back and forth as we learn, grow, and change. It’s okay to change your mind and grow with your practice. Take your time and just enjoy the journey! :blush: :sparkles: :heart:

13 Likes

@MeganB
Oh. my Megan, that was beautifully done.
blessings
Garnet

9 Likes

Oh, that’s easy, you sprinkle rosemary around your bed and, in the morning, you’ll just know.

I am teasing! I don’t think it works like that (although now iIam wondering…LOL)

I guess it varies by the person? I am one of those people who love salad bars and buffets because I get to pick so many things…because I LIKE so many things…and usually my plate (literally and figuratively) has TOO MANY THINGS. So I guess my path is “eclectic” but it is probably more accurate to say my path has TOO MANY THINGS.

LOL. I think another easy way is what do you already like? If you already like gardening, cooking, creating art, the occult, trees, the ocean, fantasy and mythology, astology, writing, pets or animal rescue, etc then there are paths that fit nicely with those interests and so many more…

I am not sure I was helpful here.

i-want-all-the-things

11 Likes

Thank you I’ll definitely remember this.

6 Likes

You were very helpful. Thanks for the insights and incouraging words

7 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Offering edible foods to the Gods? How do you do it?

@Garnet all these things! Oh my goodness! A couple months in and I still need to hear this! :heart:

7 Likes

Thank you this was really helpful. I think I might try all the methods and see which one calls to me. You guys are so awesome❤️

6 Likes

You’re welocome! :sparkles: :heart: I’m always happy to help. Enjoy the journey on your path because there isn’t really a destination! :blush:

5 Likes

@Damsel
Dearest girl, When one of us hurts, all of us hurts, that’s what our family is all about.
Blessings and love
Garnet

6 Likes

Thanks for the video!

5 Likes

You made me laugh out loud :rofl: wouldn’t that be easy?

7 Likes

You’re welcome! :hugs:

5 Likes