Correction on Brebas or Brevas

Typical dessert in Colombia served with arequipe(s) or fresh cheese.
It seems what I thought were Turkish figs variety, are Brebas or Brevas.
Apparently Turkish fig tree are more suitable for English weather.
Shaped into a fan against trellises or brick wall.
My fig tree is quite a few years old. This year’s is giving me plenty of suckers. I will dig them and with a bit of luck will get little trees.
I already have 2 youngsters with 2 figs, in pots.
Also gave a couple away.
Fig trees give a lot for very little: sap, shade, fruits, wood,leaves!- just keep them in a large pot to restrict the roots.
Depending where you live might get a up to 3 harvests a year.
Once season is over can remove the little unripened fruits.
With dried figs grinded can make a coffee substitute. Read somewhere that free figs can be boiled and keep in syrup.
If planted on the ground you risk getting a large tree with very little fruit.
Brevas is the fig fruit that started growing the previous year. Pinkish flesh, larger than fig and less sweet.
I remember my Auntie buying at the local shop in La Coruña when they came in short season. They were more expensive than standard figs.

6 Likes

Hey there!

That is a really tipical dessert here in Colombia. It’s funny because apparentely I’m the only one that doesn’t like the tast of it (loved the arequipe, though) And, it’s brevas, such a weird name for a fruit, lol.

It’s so nice that you have a fig tree. Hope you enjoy some sweet brevas con arequipe, and a glass of milk, after, haha.

Blessed be! :candy:

5 Likes

What is arequipe made off?, or is it a type of food.
Thing about figs is either you like them or not. I think I like them because my granny had one tree and my auntie bought them from a shop…
And growing up I was always hungry!.
Although like dried ones, I still prefer fresh ones.
Now I foundhow to use all parts of the tree I will feed him correctly,pity is such a small back garden, it’s turning into a little jungle.

4 Likes

I’d love to see a pic of that someday!

Arequipe is mostly made out of sugar and milk. You can find it in other parts of Latin America like Dulce de Leche, like Argentina, but it’s the same thing.

Here’s a recipe: Homemade Arequipe or Dulce de Leche | My Colombian Recipes in case you want to try to make your own :3

3 Likes

Oh, I think will stick with plain figs then.
My relatives in UK are Polish.
I’m glad that Christmas will be cancel this year. Every year they serve blamange and Ribena Jelly, too much sugar!:-1:
The best part is the vodka though.
At least in Spain sweets are more enjoyable.:rofl::joy::+1:
Just looked at the recipe, thanks but no. Although I love food a still have some limits: Pols love herring, turns my stomach!
. Years ago I worked at boarding school feeding students from several South American Countries.
To me was challenging, but learnt a lot from the culinary speaking.
I will take a short clip of our messy garden where big and small creature are welcome.

3 Likes

Yay!

Going through South America it’s such an experience. I’m glad you had the opportunity to live it. That’s a to do for me, haha. And yea, Colombians like sugar, among other non-healthy things, so I feel you, lol

2 Likes

@WhiteFox:
Come to think, being probably one of the most dangerous places on earth, is also one of the cheapest places to live, and people are very friendly I’ve been told.
And same temperatures all year round.
Can you confirm it?
Thanks

1 Like

Well, thankfully, it’s not the most dangerous place, but I agree that we’re not the most peaceful. But yea, it’s very cheap if you make US dollars, cause with Colombian pesos it’s almost impossible to live, plus minding the price of the dollar right now…

Since we’re next to the Ecuator we don’t have seasons, all year is either sun or rain, lol. However, we do have different temperatures depending on where you are, even though it’s a tiny country you can find tropical beaches, jungles, high mountains with snow, deserts, plain lands, London like cities, and so on, lol

It’s a good place to visit, and you’ll have a blast for sure. And oh yea, the people is amazing, friendly, and always welcoming. We really like foreigns that come visit us, and we do our best to make them feel good so they come back :smiley: Every outlander I’ve met had a different perception of our country, they came with mixed emotions, including fear, but all of them leave with a different reality, and they always come back.

If you ever want to visit Colombia, lemme know, I assure you that’s going to worth it. :heart:

3 Likes

Yes, students use to talk a lot about the currency exchange. From their currency to dollars and finally to sterling.
Not much of a explorer here. Have to be pushed to get out the house.
An hour flight turns into a nightmare. Don’t like airports or crowds. The simple process of buying a ticket online gets on my nerves. Sounds like paradise on earth anyway :relaxed:

2 Likes