Correspondence Request

I have received a gift of a necklace but it’s made from yak bone. (Different, I know). I’m asking if anyone knows the correspondences for yak bone? I still have to consecrate it. Here’s a picture.

7 Likes

I don’t know anything about correspondences but it’s a pretty pendant!

5 Likes

Aw, thanks!!! :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::brown_heart::black_heart::white_heart::heart::two_hearts::revolving_hearts::heartbeat::cupid::gift_heart::sparkling_heart::heartpulse: Think that’s enough hearts? :laughing:

5 Likes

I dunno, I think you could have added a few more. LOL! :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Hehehe :thinking: :laughing::purple_heart:

5 Likes

I’m not sure if it has any specific or folkloric correspondence. You may have to look deeper into where it originated or meditate with it and let it tell you what it wants.

5 Likes

I wasn’t sure of any correspondences either, but I was super curious (I’ve been wanting to start to incorporate things like bones and feathers that I find outside in my practice), so I did a bit of research. I had a surprisingly hard time finding sources other than places trying to sell yak bone malas and stuff like that, but I did find a few sources that talked about the relationship between the yak and the peoples local to where yaks live.

According to one source (1):

Yak bones represent its spirit and are a symbol of purity, strength and courage. These bovids are also used in local medicines: The mucus from their perspiration, for example, protects against the cold.

Another source (2) discusses the importance of yaks to the people of Tibet, both as food and as a utility animal. This source states that

They are an intelligent, docile, and sturdy animal that play an important part in the lives of Tibetans; in fact, without them, the entire Tibetan culture wouldn’t exist.

A source on various aspects of spirit/power/totem animals (3) (of course, choosing the term that is acceptable for one to use that isn’t part of a closed culture or appropriated culture!) lists the following attributes of yaks as a whole, not just in terms of the meanings of their bones:

• Adaptation
  • Community
  • Diligent
  • Endurance
  • Follow-Through
  • Coexistence
  • Ruggedness
  • Survival
  • Tough Skin
  • Versatility

TLDR: I couldn’t find much info about the correspondences of the bones themselves, but I feel like the general symbolism from these and other sources could be applied to the bones as well :slight_smile:

Resources:
(1): Yak | alimentarium
(2): https://blog.sivanaspirit.com/tibetans-yaks-ancient-relationship/
(3): https://whatismyspiritanimal.com/spirit-totem-power-animal-meanings/mammals/yak-symbolism-meaning/

9 Likes

Great feedback! Thank you!

5 Likes

Thank you so very much! I appreciate it!

6 Likes

The pendant is a carved Tibetan amulet made of yak bone. It’s Correspondences is the part I don’t know. Some people may dedicate the piece to Ganesh.

6 Likes

Ooohhh! Nice @Jewitch , good to know.

7 Likes

I know nothing about its correspondences but it is beautiful and I love elephants.

7 Likes

Yes indeed, what I love of them is that they protect a lot the herd. If one elephant die, they have their own ritual for that member of the herd and mourn.

7 Likes

It’s a beautiful pendant, @Christina4! :heart::elephant: Yak bones sound like a pretty rare material and not one that I’ve worked with personally, but it was interesting to learn about! Many thanks to @Jewitch for all the helpful research about yak bones and their symbolic properties :pray::blush:

6 Likes

Yes! @Jewitch is amazing with the skills!!! :grin:

6 Likes