Hi everyone! I’m Hazey, an eclectic witch. I’ve been lurking for quite a while here but I decided to share some information I put together about crystals. I hope this is allowed here
Beginning your journey with crystals can be overwhelming. This guide will simplify the types of crystals and how to incorporate them into your personal life. The following terms are used interchangeably but all have different meanings:
- Crystal – A crystal occurs when a microscopic combination of atoms, molecules, and ions forms a set pattern that continuously and perfectly repeats itself, creating a 3D geometric form that appears as points, faceted planes, and angles. Crystals may form from minerals but can also form from organic substances.
- Mineral – A mineral is formed with a specific chemical composition and an internal crystalline structure. They occur naturally, are solid, and don’t contain fossilized organic material from plants or animals. Minerals can form due to heat, pressure, or moisture.
- Rock/Stone – Rocks are made from many mineraloids and organic material mixed together. Some rocks can contain animal or plant materials.
- Gemstones – A gemstone is a precious or semiprecious stone that is hard enough to be cut into jewelry and can be a crystal, mineral, or rock/stone.
Crystals come in all different sizes and your intentions will determine how small or large of a crystal you’ll need. For example, if you’re placing the crystal in your home, size may not be a factor, but if you’d like to carry it with you, it would need to fit in your pocket. Crystals also come in a variety of colors and shades. Here are some basic color meanings:
- Red – courage, passion, boldness, determination, sexuality
- Orange – strength, power, success, triumph
- Yellow – independence, confidence, creativity, joy
- Green – abundance, prosperity, fertility, luck
- Blue – healing, intellect, empathy, communication
- Purple – psychic ability, intuition, wisdom, universal truth
- Pink – emotional connections, friendship, love, gentleness
- Clear – purification, clarity, vision, intention
- White – healing, spirituality, purity
- Gray – peace, calmness, settling energy
- Brown – grounding, comfort, connecting to nature/animals
- Black – protection, introspection, banishing
Next, let’s discuss the different shapes crystals come in as the shape affects the energy:
- Point – A naturally pointed crystal is used to direct energy away from or toward something.
- Double Point – A crystal with points on both ends sends energy in two directions at once, making it perfect for balancing.
- Cluster – Most crystals grow in clusters and this natural bloom radiates energy out in all directions.
- Worry/Rubbing Stones – Small and smooth, these disk-shaped crystals are perfect for rubbing between your fingers to help soothe nervous energy.
- Palm Stones – Similar to worry stones, palm stones are larger in size and great for holding in your hand while meditating.
- Raw – Natural stones that haven’t been tumbled, polished, or cut. Because of the lack of human interaction, some say these stones have higher energy.
- Sphere – Spheres, or crystal balls, are most often used in scrying as spheres are symbols of being interconnected to all things divine.
- Heart – Heart-shaped crystals are popular for boosting love whether it’s romantic, platonic, self-love, or to heal a broken heart.
- Pyramid – Pyramids are believed to draw upon the energy of the divine and magickal properties are enhanced.
- Wand – Crystal wands come in many shapes, styles, and sizes. Energy is gathered in a tapered point and projected at its target.
- Egg – Egg-shaped crystals are known for symbolizing fertility and new beginnings.
- Cube – Cubes are a stabilizing shape and hold your intentions solidly.
- Skull – Crystal skulls are most often used in protection work because the skull is a symbol of warning.
Another common way to incorporate crystals into your daily life is by wearing them in your jewelry. Crystal necklaces that center your heart are great for enhancing gratitude and love while choker style necklaces influence your self-expression. When wearing bracelets and rings, remember that your dominant hand projects energy outwards, and your less dominant hand is your receiving hand. Coordinate the crystals in your hand jewelry with the energy you wish to project and receive. The type of crystal you wear in your earring can enhance intuitive guidance while anklets help guide you down the path you wish to be on.
There are crystals aligned with each of the 12 zodiac signs and those crystals are determined based on the personality traits, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as the ruling planet and the element of the sign.
- Aries – Bloodstone, Carnelian, Red Jasper
- Taurus – Amber, Malachite, Jade
- Gemini – Agate, Labradorite, Opal
- Cancer – Moonstone, Milky Quartz, Selenite
- Leo – Onyx, Iron Pyrite, Sunstone
- Virgo – Aventurine, Amazonite, Peridot
- Libra – Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Tourmaline
- Scorpio – Garnet, Hematite, Rose Quartz
- Sagittarius – Aqua Aura Quartz, Clear Quartz, Aragonite
- Capricorn – Jet, Smoky Quartz, Tigers Eye
- Aquarius – Celestite, Sodalite, Turquoise
- Pisces – Aquamarine, Fluorite, Pink Kunzite
When handling crystals often, they absorb the energy around them and hold onto it. It’s always a good idea to cleanse your crystals when you first receive/buy them or if you’ve passed them around to others. While some crystals can be soaked and cleansed in Moon water, other crystals are not water safe and should be cleansed differently. Here are some ways to cleanse your crystals:
- Water – If your crystal is water safe, you can simply submerge it in water or Moon water for a couple of hours. After soaking, allow your crystal to air dry.
- Smoke – Using herbs or incense to cleanse crystals is a popular method for crystals that aren’t water safe. Sandalwood, Bay Leaves, and Rosemary are all common cleansing choices for non-Indigenous practitioners.
- Salt – Bury your crystal in a bowl of sea salt and allow the salt to draw the negative energy from your crystal. Be cautious as salt can cause corrosion on some crystals.
- Selenite – Selenite is a gypsum mineral that cleanses and charges all crystals it comes in contact with. When cleansing with Selenite, place your other crystal touching the Selenite and allow it to sit like that overnight.
When you incorporate crystals into your daily practice, it’s important to charge them the way you would charge any of your smart devices. Here are some ways to revive the energy of your crystals:
- Sunlight – The first way to charge crystals is in the sunlight. Visualize abundance replenishing your crystals and simply set your crystals in the sunlight for a couple of hours. Be cautious as sunlight can cause some crystals to fade; leave these crystals for only a few minutes.
- Moonlight – Similar to sunlight, the Moon also is a powerful way to recharge your crystals. During the Full Moon, leave your crystals outside or in a windowsill under the moonlight.
- Plants/Trees – Placing crystals at the roots of a healthy plant or tree is a great way to reground any unwanted energy. Crystals also can be planted with plants and trees.
- Herbs – Mugwort is a powerful herb known to increase psychic powers. Boil dried mugwort into a tea, allow it to cool, and place your crystal inside of it. This can be done with other herbs like rose petals and rosemary.
- Candles – Light 6 white candles of any type in a circle and place your crystals in the middle. You can meditate or visualize white light filling your crystals with the purest of energy.