Dark Moon Dream Ritual & Reflective Tarot Spread

Since we’ve been discussing dreams extensively lately, with the new moon on the horizon and a lovely group ritual approaching, I wanted to introduce this dark moon dream ritual and tarot spread to all of you.

First of all, the term ‘dark moon’ describes the last visible crescent of a waning Moon. This phase typically lasts between 1.5 to 3.5 days, depending on the Moon’s position in relation to the Earth’s orbit. In modern astronomy, the ‘new moon’ occurs at the midpoint of this dark phase when the moon and sun are aligned closely. Therefore, it’s advisable to perform the following ritual and reading on the day preceding the new moon.

[Photo by Johannes Plenio]

Dark Moon Dream Ritual

Here is a straightforward bedtime ritual designed to encourage meaningful and insightful dreams, particularly during the dark moon phase. This ritual can provide guidance on profound inner matters and is accessible for anyone interested in exploring their dreams.

Ingredients

• Tea made with herbs associated with enhancing psychic abilities, such as rose, jasmine, or star anise. You can either prepare your own loose tea blend or purchase tea bags with these flavours.
  • A square piece of black cloth, large enough to contain the herbs and crystals.
  • A bowl containing one tablespoon each of dried mugwort, eyebright, and lavender.
  • An amethyst, moonstone, and selenite.
  • A length of string.
  • (Optional) An offering to the dark moon.

Also, see “Notes on Ingredients” at the bottom for more alternatives to those above.

[Photo by Miti]

Instructions

Gather all the necessary materials and place them near your bed.

Begin steeping the tea while you take a relaxing bath.

If you’re looking for inspiration for the ideal dark moon bath, consider incorporating sea or Epsom salt along with a few drops of essential oils like frankincense, rosemary, or peppermint. These essential oils can be diluted in a carrier oil such as jojoba or olive oil.

Lay the black cloth out on your nightstand or carefully on your bed. In the centre of the cloth, place the mixture of dried mugwort, eyebright, and lavender. Add the crystals to this arrangement. As you do this, visualise and invoke the energy and essence of the dark moon.

Hold your hands over the mixture and say:

O enigmatic shroud of night,
Ethereal guardians of dreams,
I extend my invitation to your realm.
Reveal unto me your cryptic missives,
Become my compass on this ethereal voyage,
I seek enlightenment on [your question or issue].

Alternatively, if you choose to make a humble offering to the dark moon, you can follow these steps and recite this version instead

O Dark Moon, I willingly offer [your offering] unto you,
In profound recognition of your boundless might.
On this night, let our energies entwine,
Through the sacred union of [your offering] and shadow.
In exchange for my devotion, bestow upon me,
[State your desired blessing or intention here],
So be it.

Securely tie the cloth with the string, forming a small bundle. Now, gently tuck this bundle beneath your pillow. Voilà, you’ve crafted a dream pillow!

Savour the tea you prepared earlier, utilising this moment for contemplation, meditation, or even engaging in the tarot reading mentioned below. Afterwards, prepare yourself for a restful night’s sleep.

Don’t forget to keep a journal or notebook within easy reach by your bedside to record your dreams upon waking. If necessary, you can employ the mind map technique to effectively organise and decipher the symbolism embedded within your dreams. For additional guidance on this technique, consider exploring the following resources:

[Photo by Jen Theodore]

Dark Moon Tarot Spread

During the dark moon, you may be delving into deeper, more self-focused questions than usual. It’s an ideal moment for introspection, contemplating your inner self, and addressing even the most uncomfortable emotions.

This reading serves as an excellent complement to the preceding ritual and is refreshingly straightforward. It employs a four-card spread, specifically crafted for self-reflection. This intuitive reading aims to illuminate your present challenges and the wisdom they carry. Frequently, it unveils the intricate ways in which inner struggles, such as negative self-perception or personal fears, find expression as external obstacles.

To initiate your tarot reading, it’s essential to formulate a meaningful question. For example, you can inquire, “What role do I play in this situation?” or “What wisdom am I meant to gain from this experience?” Crafting a clear and introspective question sets the stage for a profound exploration of your inner self.

Card 1: Current Situation

This card serves as a window into your present circumstances, offering insights into the overall atmosphere of your life at this very moment. It provides a glimpse of external aspects or the surface appearance of your situation.

Card 2: The Querent (You)

Card 2 is a reflection of yourself, the seeker of answers. It symbolises your unique role in the situation and the contribution you make. This card sheds light on how you fit into the broader narrative.

Card 3: Deep-Seated Patterns

Among the four cards, Card 3 holds the utmost significance. It peels back the layers to reveal your hidden fears, triggers, or ingrained behaviours. These elements may be stirred by the issue at hand or could even be contributing to it. Card 3 occasionally uncovers facets of your personality that you might not have previously acknowledged. It functions as a mirror, reflecting your inner self and its influence on the situation.

Importantly, this card doesn’t assign blame but emphasises the role of your deeper emotions and tendencies in shaping the outcome. Recognising your part in an issue can be a catalyst for personal growth and transformation.

Card 4: Potential for Growth

Card 4 offers a glimpse into the potential for personal development that arises from your experiences. Life’s challenges often carry specific lessons about ourselves. This card unveils the growth opportunities available to you when you address the issues highlighted by Card 3.

This tarot reading focuses primarily on your inner world and personal development. It does not aim to provide guidance or insights into external factors or the actions of others. While you may not have control over external circumstances, you possess the power to make choices and decisions that shape your own journey. Therefore, reading can be a valuable tool for introspection, fostering self-awareness, and promoting personal growth.

[Photo by Conscious Design]

Notes on Ingredients

• Amethyst: Enhances intuition, protects from nightmares, and promotes stability.
  • Eyebright: Boosts psychic abilities, aids memory and rationality, fosters a positive outlook during challenging times, and reveals truths.
  • Jasmine: Used in divination, associated with spiritual love, soulmates, wealth, sleep, prophetic dreams, and innovative ideas.
  • Lavender: Linked to love, protection, healing, sleep, purification, peace, chastity, and assisting in overcoming depression.
  • Moonstone: Balances emotions, supports women’s health, enhances psychic abilities, and aids in dream work.
  • Mugwort: Associated with lust and fertility, prevents backaches, acts as an anti-disease agent, counters “madness,” strengthens divination, aids in tool consecration, facilitates astral travel, promotes prophetic dreams, and cleanses magic mirrors and crystal balls.
  • Rose: Used in love-related divination and for fostering lasting relationships.
  • Selenite: Clears stagnant energy, promotes joy, and offers protection.
  • Star Anise: Enhances psychic awareness and abilities.

Alternative Herbs and Their Associations

• Anise Seed: Known for warding off the evil eye, stimulating psychic abilities, and preventing nightmares.
  • Cat Whiskers: Used to remain undetected during shamanic journeys, astral work, psychic endeavours, veil work, and similar practices.
  • Cinnamon: Associated with success, healing, protection, luck, prosperity, money attraction, stimulation of psychic powers, protection against drowning, and scrying.
  • Citron: Used for healing and enhancing psychic powers.
  • Corn (or Corn Oil): Known for protection, divination, and attracting luck.
  • Dandelion Root: Used for sleep protection, divination, and summoning.
  • Evening Primrose (or Evening Primrose Oil): Associated with love, attracting woodland spirits, desirability, glamour magic, clarity, and psychic abilities.
  • Fig: Known for divination, fertility, and love.
  • Flax Seed: Used for financial matters, healing, and enhancing divination accuracy.
  • Honeysuckle: Associated with money, success, quick abundance, persuasiveness, confidence, improved intuition, and heightened psychic abilities.
  • Lemon Balm: Used for love, success, healing, psychic development, and aiding in healing mental and nervous disorders.
  • Lemon Grass: Known for psychic cleansing and enhancing lust.
  • Lotus Flower: Associated with psychic opening and spiritual growth.
  • Moonflower: Used for divination and dream work. (Warning: Its leaves can be used in death curses, and its vine for baneful binding.)
  • Myrrh: Known for spiritual opening, meditation, healing, raising psychic vibration, concentration, and activating talismans, charms, and magical tools.
  • Pomegranate (or Pomegranate Oil): Used for divination, wishes, wealth, fertility, and love.
  • Tea Leaves: Associated with divination tools, courage, and strength. (Warning: Can be used to conceal the truth.)
  • Wisteria: Known for psychic opening, overcoming obstacles, and attracting prosperity. (Warning: Its vines can be used in various forms of binding.)

These alternative herbs provide a range of options to customise your ritual, but it’s essential to exercise caution, especially when considering their potential baneful uses.

16 Likes

Oh my goodness this is gorgeous- what a beautiful ritual and spread! :heart_eyes:

I just want to say how much I appreciate the notes you’ve shared for each of the ingredients. It is really helpful to see the properties of each ingredient and understand the role they are being called upon to play within the spell. The alternative herbs is a blessing upon a blessing- this was so thoughtful of you to share, Katerina! :pray: :heart:

Thank you again- wishing dark/new moon blessings to you! :new_moon_with_face: :black_heart: :sparkles:

9 Likes

Wow, @starborn – you really have an amazing way of writing out your spells and explaining the rituals. This is beautiful! :heart_eyes: I’m going to keep this one and add it to my own grimoire. It’s wonderful!

8 Likes

I’m so glad they’re helpful. Thank you. :black_heart:

I’m finding it’s also helping me learn them, since I have to type them up from my scrappy collection of notes and read up on their uses. For example, I didn’t know that tea leaves could be used to conceal the truth in more baneful spells. Interesting that it can both illuminate via divination and conceal! Although I kind of wish the book I got that from specified what kind of tea leaves…

I find I don’t always have exactly what’s listed for any spell/ritual at any given time, so I understand the search for alternatives. :smile:

Thank you. :black_heart: I’m glad you enjoy them.

You can really tell I have a few “modes” I keep switching between. :joy: There’s the more formal ritual writing and explaining (because I pull out a thesaurus and do about 20 rereads and edits), the enthusiastic rambling about my interests, and the more casual chatting.

It’s a lot of fun, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

So pretty, just reading through this ritual, good energy flowing through. Love it! I’m taking a break from the dream world, but still saving this for a future Dark Moon phase. Even just for that night’s sleep I under the lovely Dark Moon phase. :new_moon_with_face:

8 Likes

Beautiful, thank you for sharing

7 Likes

haha this is usually how my spells and rituals go. It’s hardly ever anything formal written out :laughing: but I’m still not sure about calling myself a folk witch… :thinking: but maybe that’s something to explore for this week’s challenge!

Anyway, even though I’m not usually one for the more formal rituals myself, they certainly are very beautiful to read. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

It’s great that you can do that. :smile:

I’d love to be able to as well, but the structure helps keep me focused. Or, you know, I’m in the ritual one second, and the next, I’ve wandered off and started talking about games with my partner with the candles still burning, unattended, in the other room while a naughty kitten runs about the place and risks burning himself. :joy::cold_sweat:

I suppose we all do what we need to achieve our desired result. But perhaps one day I’ll get to this point where it’s natural and comfortable enough that the whole thing can be flow! I mean, if I’ve gotten cooking to this level, surely I can with other things? I believe so, anyway. :black_heart:

8 Likes

@starborn :star2: I just wanted to say that in the short time you’ve been here I have learned so much from reading your posts they are all very intriguing you have such a profound way of explaining things and your one of the most influential witches I’ve met on this sight. It has been a real honor to learn as much as I have from you and I’m so glad you found your way to this coven. :blush: :sparkling_heart::sparkles::sparkling_heart: :full_moon::waning_gibbous_moon::last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon::new_moon::waxing_crescent_moon::first_quarter_moon::first_quarter_moon: :infinite_roots:

9 Likes

Aww. :face_holding_back_tears: Thank you so much.

I feel the same with everyone I’m interacting with here, too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It’s such a warm and welcoming environment, which is making me realise how conducive that is to being more open to learning and questioning oneself. I feel like I’ve always had to endure the trial-by-fire battle version, and it’s worn on me. But this is wonderful. :black_heart:

8 Likes

@starborn – Oh, I don’t think one is any better than the other. I think we just work in the way that’s best for us! :blush: Sometimes I would love to be able to do a more formal ritual, but the business of my house and family life just doesn’t afford for that right now. :joy:

4 Likes

@starborn This is lovely. Sometimes I wish I could do formal ritual, but the chaos always makes me add a dash of this and a dash of that :rofl:. I will adapt your tarot spread for a rune spread though, so I’ve plonked it in my grim as I think this will be nice. Thanks for sharing this. Very beautiful :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

This is a beautiful ritual. I really want to try the dream pillow. I have difficulties remembering my dream beyond the first 5-10 minutes after waking–maybe this will help. Thank you!

5 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound that way either. It’s just that, being so new, I feel I definitely still have my training wheels on for all the things practice. And I have yet to discover if this structure is training wheels or what’s best for me. But I will try all the things until my way is found. :smile:

But that’s what makes you wonderful. You have such beautiful chaos energy. :black_heart:

I know everyone everywhere repeats this 100 times over, so I’m sorry to do it again. But in that 5-10 minutes, do your best to write down quick notes. For example, I recently woke up and sent messages to my partner that said:

• House-sitting baby seal
  • UTE man trying to kill me
  • Pho with family
  • In Taiwan, wanting to call, phone not working

And then, that same day, I made sure to write them out in detail. While I write those notes out, I train my brain that these are things I want to remember. Now I can only recall mere snippets of those dreams, because a few weeks have passed and I haven’t thought about them. And I don’t recall the seal one at all.

It seems we only remember because we keep repeating things to ourselves. And that’s the thing with memory. When we remember something, we’re really just remembering the last time we remembered it. But dreams are hard. Sometimes just thinking about them straight after waking up isn’t enough. Especially when you don’t usually remember them.

6 Likes

Thank you. This is brilliant. It just triggered a ‘duh ’ moment. My phone is on my nightstand and the first thing I pick up when I get up….the perfect note taking device…right in front of me, and I’m off thinking about buying a dream journal.

6 Likes

That’s okay! You didn’t sound that way, I just have a thing about potentially being misunderstood, so I wanted to make sure what I had said was clear :sweat_smile: I think you’re going about things a great way just for you - training wheels are great, after all!

4 Likes

I’m the exact same, so that’s what I was doing, too. :joy: If we didn’t know already, I’d say we’ll get along great.

4 Likes

haha yes! I’m a natural over-explainer because I don’t want to be misunderstood. I will also ask a million clarifying questions when needed so that I make sure I understand correctly :joy: hooray for getting alone well! :partying_face: :tada:

5 Likes

I must admit, I’ve been lagging a bit in updating here. I intended to share my latest tarot spread experience on the 10th, and now it’s already the 18th. :see_no_evil:

The dark moon often draws me to invoke Lilith for guidance, and this time was no different. I also decided to lay the spread out sideways because, personally, I find that a wider layout speaks to me more than a taller one does. :sweat_smile: I rebel even against myself.

Anyway, let me dive into what the cards revealed this time…

Eight of Rings: Current Situation

Starting with the Eight of Rings, it felt like a direct mirror to the intense dedication I’ve been pouring into various aspects of my life lately. This card, with its focus on craft and diligence, really resonated with me. It’s as if it acknowledged all the hard work I’ve been doing, especially with my projects and financial goals.

The symbolism of the wood anemone within the card, signifying resilience and adaptability, struck a particular chord with me. It reminded me of my own journey, adjusting and thriving through the shifts and turns life throws my way.

The haloed crossing of fingers on the card also stood out, symbolising a deep commitment to my path and the dedication required to achieve success.

The Tower: Me

The Tower then cast me as both spectator and participant in unfolding drama of my life, symbolising upheaval and sudden changes that challenge the foundations of who I am.

The imagery of lightning striking a tower amidst stormy skies spoke volumes about tumultuous times. Yet, the presence of carnations at the base hint at an underlying resilience, a testament to my efforts to maintain grace under pressure.

This card called me to reflect on my conflicts and the role I play in them, pushing me towards evolution and growth from the rubble of past challenges.

Seven of Cups: Deep-Seated Patterns

Moving deeper, the Seven of Cups shed light on the underlying currents of my psyche. The card’s association with wishful thinking and the fantasy realms of imagination prompted me to consider how these elements influence my decisions and life direction.

The imagery – night gladiolus flowers symbolising memory, feathers representing fleeting thoughts, and the third eye of introspection – urge me to explore the depths of my subconscious, recognising how past experiences and desires shape my present and future.

Ace of Wands: Potential for Growth

Finally, the Ace of Wands emerged as a vivid symbol of potential and growth, a reminder that every challenge carries the seed of opportunity. This card stirred a sense of ambition and creativity within me, encouraging me to embrace the chances for personal development that arise from facing my challenges head-on.

The unfolding rose, symbolising opportunities blooming from these difficulties, speaks to a process of natural growth and discovery, unveiling new layers of potential with each step forward.

5 Likes

Sounds like a beautiful reading. Are you happy with it? Seems like you’re heading in the right direction.

Also, question :thinking: Do you mix decks (oracle mainly) in one reading, I’ve seen other tarot readers do this, have about 3/4 oracles decks and shuffle, then take random cards from the mix in a reading. :person_shrugging:

5 Likes