December 4th is National Cookie Day!

Here, have an extra cookie recipe!

Chocolate Thumbprints with Caramel and Sea Salt

total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
Yield: Makes about 40 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

Ingredients:

For the Cookie:

1 cup flour
Generous 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
⅔ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sparkling sugar or powdered sugar for rolling, or just leave plain.

For the Caramel:

1 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tbsp.-size chunks
½ cup heavy cream
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus about 1/2 tsp. for sprinkling

Directions:

Step 1

Make cookies: Preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, cocoa powder, and salt into a bowl. In another bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add egg yolk, cream, and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture.

Step 2

Scoop dough into rounded 1-tsp. portions and roll into balls, then roll balls in sparkling or powdered sugar to coat. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. With the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon, gently press an indentation into the center of each cookie. Bake until cookies are just set about 10 minutes. (The depressions tend to fill in a bit as they bake, so as soon as they’re out of the oven, give them another press with the spoon if necessary.) Slide parchment with cookies onto cooling racks and let cool. If you’ve used powdered sugar, sift a little more onto the cookies.

Step 3

Make the caramel: Put granulated sugar in a large nonstick frying pan; spread evenly. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Sugar will form clumps but eventually will melt and turn into a dark, amber-colored liquid, about 6 minutes. As soon as it’s liquefied, reduce heat to medium-low. Add butter and stir until incorporated. Stirring constantly, drizzle in the cream. Boil 1 minute, stirring, then remove from heat and stir in 1/4 tsp. sea salt. Scrape into a bowl and let cool completely.

Step 4

Assemble cookies: Spoon about 1/4 tsp. caramel into each cookie, then sprinkle with a few grains of sea salt.

Step 5

*You’ll have more caramel than you need, but that’s never a bad thing–it’s great on ice cream. Don’t be tempted to cook a half-batch of caramel, as it won’t cook right and will seize up.

Step 6

Make ahead: Caramel, up to 5 days, chilled (let soften at room temperature before spooning into cookies). Baked cookies, up to 1 week, chilled airtight.

Nutrition:

Per Serving:
104 calories; calories from fat 48%; protein 0.7g; fat 5.5g; saturated fat 3.4g; carbohydrates 13g; fiber 0.3g; sodium 45mg; cholesterol 21mg.

Serving Size one cookie? Who the heck only eats one cookie? Sheesh. LOL!

6 Likes

Oh now you are just evil… These would not make it from the cookie sheet to the cookie tin… Two of my worst vices in one cookie - Yummmm You have outdone yourself this time @Amethyst

How are you today? You have been in my thoughts.

3 Likes

I know what you mean, if I was able to plate half the batch, I’d be doing good.

Still having problems in my leg. And I pulled a groin muscle too so I’m having problems sleeping. Blah. I did get my laundry done today so that’s good. Thanks for asking, how are you doing?

2 Likes

Oh @Amethyst you are having a terrible week. I hope you can just rest tomorrow.
Hugs!

3 Likes

Thanks, @berta! I need to do some things around the apartment but nothing too bad.

Huggles! :hugs:

3 Likes

I hope everyone had a wonderful cookie day!!! :cookie::yum: I picked up some gingerbread cookies at the store last week and have been steadily making my way through the package :laughing:

Oh dear, @Amethyst! Sometimes one problem heals only to be replaced by another worry. Rest well and keep taking care of yourself, girl! Sending good thoughts your way :hugs::two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you, darling! I think my leg problem is causing my groin problem. I really had to stretch to cut off my wrappings on my leg before showering today. Could be that, that’s pulling the muscle in my groin. Sigh. Oh well, I’ll live with it. Better than taking a shower with my leg wrapped up and having soggy bandages till the nurse comes. Thanks for the good vibes! :hugs:

2 Likes

Soggy bandages are no fun at all! Keep on taking good care of yourself, @Amethyst- even more good vibes coming your way! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Love and light to you!

3 Likes

Thanks hon! I’m trying to take care of myself. I’ll see the doctor again next Monday and we’ll see what she says then. :hugs:

3 Likes

@Amethyst my heart is with you. I think about you everyday and hope each morning brings you closer to healing.

3 Likes

Thank you love! I actually slept in this morning. I thought it would make me feel better but it just made me feel sleepier! LOL. I appreciate the good vibes! :hugs:

3 Likes