Dieting to Discover Allergens

SOme coffee places dont offer other dairy options if i have them i pay for it and have to take gasx. the gas gets trapped in my intestines and hurts terribly. so i try to only make my morning drink at home and take it with. Or go somewhere with dairy free options. I love icecream and anytime i have some the next day i feel like crap. Thats probably my only real guilty pleasure i havent been able to find a substitute for. The lactose free icecream i tried was very wierd. Maybe ill try another and see if i can find a good one. DO you have lactose free milk there? regular lactose free?

6 Likes

Ohh, you get gas. That sounds painful. :persevere:

We do get lactose-free milk here. Thatā€™s what I buy. Last shopping trip, I bought ten 1L long-life cartons. (The liquid, not the powder.) The long-life cartons sell for cheaper because theyā€™re not spending electricity to keep them cold. So the difference is quite a bit. $1.60/L versus like $2-3/L. Itā€™s the same for normal and lactose-free milk in a long-life format versus a cold format.

I just meant that sometimes I also buy soy milk, or I get normal milk in other things. Like, if I buy the one supermarket ice cream brand that I think is good. (There are sugar and lactose-free options that are nice, but this is my comfort dessert.)

Or if I go get bubble tea, I will get normal milk even though they have other options. The sugar from those teas will send me to the toilet anyway, so I might as well indulge in the normal milk at the same time. :crazy_face:

P.S. I donā€™t stand around doing calculations. :sweat_smile: The supermarkets are legally obligated to display the price per unit on all the products so that consumers canā€™t get swindled.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll have to see if I have this option. Lactose free milk is expensive. Normal milk like two bucks or so for a gallon. Then lactose free milk is like 3.86-4 ish for a half gallon! Full gallon of lactose free is like 6 something. It sucks lol. So Iā€™ll see if I have that option to save $.

Extremely painful especially because Idk why itā€™s impossible to toot when I have lactose and the gas just keeps building and growing with no way to break wind lmao :joy: gasx is a life saver. Speaking of I need to buy more almost out.

Lol Iā€™m the type who donā€™t fart in front of noone and would hold it and say girls donā€™t fart lmao :saluting_face: My dad used to fart and laugh about it and make jokes. My mom hated it. Absolutely hated it lmao maybe thatā€™s where I get it from.

Your not old enough yet :laughing: I must be getting old I stand in the aisle reading my labels more. Iā€™ll be like OMG I gotta get out of here hahaha. Iā€™m getting old.

5 Likes

I had to go convert these. And whoa! Itā€™s more expensive there than here. :astonished: I wouldnā€™t have expected that.

Hereā€™s the chart I was looking at when reading. :laughing:

[https://www.sweetashoney.co/how-many-liters-are-in-a-gallon/]

Here, the lactose and lactose-free are generally priced the same as each other in the long life section. I think the gap widens in the refrigerated section. No idea why that is. :woman_shrugging:

A whole section of my family did that, and I hated it! :laughing: I was very shy about it myself, but when you have a partner that has IBS, you start to get used to lots of ā€œickyā€ things being discussed and shared more openly. Iā€™ve had to help them with a lotā€¦ :sweat_smile: And Iā€™ve made them more comfortable with themselves by hanging out near them while theyā€™re struggling.

My partner still reassures me about my toots. Iā€™m often like, ā€œIā€™m so sorry for the stinks!ā€ And theyā€™re like, ā€œNoooo! Theyā€™re proof that youā€™re nearby and that makes them lovely!ā€ :smiling_face_with_tear: :laughing: Oh gosh. Iā€™m embarrassing. :face_with_peeking_eye: :sweat_smile:

That just means you care a lot about what kinds of things youā€™re buying. Itā€™s not a bad thing! :smile:

Iā€™m too impatient. :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

I was thinking they are charging for the enzymes they use to get rid of the lactose maybe the process. Idk lol doesnā€™t seem very ethical :laughing:

Hahahahahaha itā€™s sweet of you. I donā€™t have a choice he farts constantly. :skunk:

You all are the type of relationship id want to have if I had one lolā€¦ it makes me a bit jealous to be honest. Iā€™ve wanted that kind of relationship for ever I mean forever. Donā€™t get me wrong I love to hear about you guys and Iā€™m happy for you. Iā€™m so happy for you. I feel like itā€™s very rare to find this what u have. Cherish it, protect it, nurture it, and hold on tight. Donā€™t ever stop being enthusiastic about it for anything

7 Likes

Thatā€™s what I used to think. But then theyā€™re the same price in the long-life section. :thinking: The brand that sells the $1.60/L cartons I get of lactose-free charges the exact same for their cartons of normal milk.

But then, if you look in the fridge. Theyā€™re not the same. I wonder if itā€™s the supermarket creating the difference because less people buy lactose-free and so, theyā€™re salty about having to spend electricity to keep it cold? :laughing:

Even that doesnā€™t make sense. This suburb is like 50% Chinese before we even start counting the Koreans. The lactose-free stuff probably sells quite well. Or theyā€™re all taking those supplements that make it easier to consume stuff with lactose without getting diarrhoea. :face_with_monocle:

Same. And I will. :face_holding_back_tears:

7 Likes

Yeah probably not the enzymes I donā€™t know seems like one of many scams. Like they know we need feminine products and we pay way too much. Same concept maybe?

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

7 Likes

Ohh. The pink tax. :thinking: Thatā€™s a good point. Marked up because of necessity for manyā€¦

:angry: I would kick someoneā€™s butt if that could improve things.

Speaking of which, I need to go buy some groceriesā€¦

7 Likes

By the way, I donā€™t mean to make it sound like everything has always been wonderful and great. These days, weā€™re good at listening to and taking care of each other emotionally. But what youā€™re seeing here is after years of struggle.

Not that it was only ever bad or something. But weā€™ve been through periods of being seriously toxic with each other and having horrible arguments. Weā€™ve both given each other traumas over the years, and weā€™re still healing from those traumas.

It just so happens that weā€™ve come out the other side of a period of great chaos better than before. It required us both to want to change, and that itself is not an easy feat.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that disclaimerā€¦ I donā€™t like making things sound effortless and easy when they arenā€™t ā€“ it just makes others feel bad. (This is public on the internet, so who knows who is reading this and getting a one-sided impression of things.)

7 Likes

I understand. Iā€™m truly happy for you. Iā€™d write more let me get back to u Iā€™m in the middle of something :heart::heart::heart::heart:

7 Likes

Meanwhile, Iā€™m indulging in some naughty lactose. :sweat_smile:

Brown sugar milk tea with pearls. RIP.

ā€¦ Worth it. :laughing:

7 Likes

Never had it but they seem popular looks yummy. I just ordered from weeee which I probably shouldnā€™t says my bank account but prices arenā€™t terrible and been wanting to try it anyway. Then u got me thinking about different foods. Lazy food. I cook all day so I donā€™t always feel up to it at home lolā€¦

Thishalf of the order will be here tomorrow eek so excited yummy :drooling_face: hope it is yummy :drooling_face:

This half comes Thursday oh I feel naughty :joy:

I feel like I got quite a bit for what I spent. Canā€™t wait šŸ«·šŸ˜

7 Likes

Ooh, thereā€™s some tasty stuff there. :smile:

Migoreng is the laziest. I cook mine with a kettle. :laughing:

You put the noodles in a bowl, then cover it with boiling water from the kettle, and then put a plate upside down over the top. When itā€™s ready, you come back, strain out the water, and then add the flavouring packets. :grin:

Itā€™s the classic ā€œIā€™m making this while studyingā€ method because itā€™s impossible to overcook the noodles this way. In a pot, you can overcook them. Here, they just donā€™t ever overcook. Iā€™d forgotten about them once before, returning over an hour later, and they were still good. :woman_shrugging: Itā€™s magic.

You also canā€™t go wrong with those chive onion flatbreads. (Iā€™ve never seen that translation before ā€“ I just call them č”„ę²¹é¤… cōng yĆ³u bĒng.) :black_heart:

But to make them fluffy like the cover, you have to fluff them with spatulas while cooking them in a frying pan. Itā€™s worth the effort, though. Those are the one thing Iā€™ve ever been excited about eating for breakfast. Cook them combined with egg and bacon or ham. 10/10. :sparkles:

[Spring onion pancakes (cong you bing) - recipe | SCMP Cooking]

7 Likes

Ohh thankyou for these tips appreciate it :grin:

Migoreng idea I got from you. When I saw it I was like I better try it starborn mentioned it lolā€¦

Perfect since I be studying now haha. Iā€™m too excited to try it all.

6 Likes

When you get to the migoreng, let me know. Iā€™ll make some too, and we can eat together-online-but-physically-apart. :grin: :black_heart:

If you donā€™t have a sauce for the wontons, you could just use the dumpling sauce. Itā€™s basically just soy sauce and vinegar. Or, you could just toss them on top of some migoreng. :laughing: That would be neat.

ā€¦Iā€™ve made myself hungry now. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I definitely will my friend sounds like fun migoreng party :partying_face: :tada:

Nope I donā€™t have sauce I mean I have sweet n sour and soy sauce here at home? Plain vinegar like white vinegar?

6 Likes

Those work!

And yep, plain vinegar. However, we ran out, and my partner used red recently. It worked. I wouldā€™ve used soy sauce alone in that situation, though. But no one gets anywhere without experimenting.

Get as weird with it as you like. :grin: Thatā€™s the best part about sauce mixing.

6 Likes

Idk why I thought of the book green eggs and ham I started reading super early at like three years old. I was so proud to read aloud lolā€¦ anyway I could eat them in a plane on a ship. I could eat them anywhere. :laughing::laughing:

6 Likes

Iā€™ll def check it out. Still gotta look at what mirin is too lol you probably sent it to me in pms

6 Likes

is a type of rice wine and a common ingredient in Japanese cooking. It is similar to sake but with a lower alcohol content and higher sugar content. - Mirin - Wikipedia

If you donā€™t have any mirin, you can use sugar instead.

A small amount is often used instead of sugar and soy sauce. - Mirin - Wikipedia

The above says it can be replaced with rice vinegar or white wine and sugar. I guess it depends on the recipe. :thinking:

Eggs and ham! Eggs and ham! Thatā€™s lit, fam. :black_heart:

ā€¦Maybe I need sleep. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes