Do my fellow witches have creative ways to use coffee grounds?

I use coffee grinds as fertilizer for my plants.

5 Likes

I didn’t know you could do that until you said something. The one that was most creative was party lights from old kcups. And of course you can use them for seed starters. Quite useful! :heart:

5 Likes

Tem, That is quite true my friend. I wish they made them biodegradable, not sure how well they would hold up though. I think I still have an espresso machine, may have to break it out.

6 Likes

These are quite helpful thanks Christina! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

These are quite handy!

5 Likes

I use it outside….surrounding the house and it keeps a lot of crickets and other insects from coming in. Now I now some people think of crickets as good luck ……. I don’t so I keep them out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

This sounds like a good use for my grounds! Would you happen to be willing to share the recipe for this? :see_no_evil::star_struck:

I just read your bio thing and saw that you’re an herbalist in training! I’ve recently become fascinated with herbalism, so if you have any tips/resources/etc. you’re willing to share, I’m always looking for new-to-me things to explore :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I feel like I may have seen biodegradable ones somewhere :thinking: I can’t remember where though, and I’m currently half-asleep at the moment, so I may be imagining things :sweat_smile:

I do know, however, that you can find the coffee pods that have minimal plastic in the pods; they’re basically a coffee filter sack (for lack of better words) with a plastic rim since that part needs to be rigid for the pods to work. If I’m not mistaken, the filter part could be removed from the plastic rim and tossed into the compost and the plastic part was recyclable. I can’t remember the brand of the pods I’m thinking of off the top of my head because it’s been so long since I’ve used them :thinking: Unfortunately, I think they were also more expensive than the traditional plastic-centered pod, but the coffee tasted better because it didn’t taste so plasticky :3

If you’re interested in exploring more eco-friendly options for your Keurig, I’d recommend looking into other pods that have less plastic. They also make pods that are reusable – I found that I preferred using those because being able to buy any kind of coffee to use in it was so much cheaper and offered much more variety. If you’re someone who likes to drink coffee but doesn’t make enough of it in one go to justify buying a traditional Mr. Coffee type machine, I’d highly recommend getting a pour-over maker of some sort – they even make ones that are made of perforated metal and don’t require any filters. Pour-over makers are a bit more labor-intensive, so if you want the convenience of a coffee machine without having to buy pods or make more coffee than you can (or should! something I need to work on :see_no_evil: haha) drink in one sitting, they also make mini coffee machines that can only hold about one mug’s worth of water. :slight_smile:

But I digress :sweat_smile: Other than the info provided by others, I can’t really contribute much else in the way of the use of coffee grounds. I like to use my leftover groudnds to stain paper and compost them. I haven’t tried making any scrubs or other self-care things with them, but I’m definitely going to have to try that! :smiley:

Also, I thought I responded to your introductory post, but I just realized tonight that I don’t think I did :sweat_smile: Merry meet from another fellow Ohioan! :smiley:

6 Likes

Yes! I’ll have to hunt for it, but I’ll pm you with some resources for learning herbalism in the morning, and when I locate the recipe I’ll make a post in the recipes category! :blush:
Herbalism is definitely a fun, therapeutic practice and there is so much to learn! My schooling for my first year is over foraging safety and botany (nearly done with my final project for my cert!) And the second year is over actually making the medicines and self care things! (I get to experiment with floral essences next summer! Yay!)

7 Likes

That sounds like such interesting, exciting studies! :heart_eyes_cat: I think one of the reasons I find herbalism so fascinating is that it combines everything I love (science, history, culture, religion, etc.) and it’s infinitely fascinating to me how super ancient cultures used plants as medicine even though they didn’t have the scientific understanding we have today, and (from what I understand) most of our modern pharmaceuticals are derived from or inspired by plants that people “back in the day” used :nerd_face:

I’m looking forward to any info you’re willing to share with me! :star_struck: Absolutely no rush or pressure though – I don’t need any distractions from my schoolwork that isn’t anywhere near as interesting as herbalism or witchcraft :weary: hahaha

6 Likes

Definitely in plants!

5 Likes

Works great for plants!

5 Likes

Wade,
Oh man you mean I didn’t come up with an original idea? Darn lol, but I think it would be a great thing to consider if it wasn’t one already. It seems everything else is degradable so why not these?

I actually have a reusable coffee pod, I sometimes just buy a bag of coffee it just depends on my mood. I agree, I think when I use a Keurig pod I always end up with a plastic taste unfortunately. Would be awesome if we could eliminate that taste, first world problems I know lol.

I feel like I pay an arm and a leg for the pods, when I could get so much more in a bag honestly. A pour over? I have seen those on Tin Tok, wasn’t sure what they were called. I’ll have to check them out, in this day and age it feels good to do things the old fashioned way.

No worries my friend, thank you for introducing yourself.It’s always good to find another Ohio native, merry meet my friend. It’s good to know I have local friends with me on my journey.

6 Likes

Pretty dope thanks for sharing, Blessed Be fam

5 Likes