Dream catchers

Has anyone made a dream catcher? I’ve found instructions online, but it’s to get some tips and tricks from someone who’s made one :blush:

By the way, it’s 7am and I haven’t slept and my brain is all over the place! :exploding_head::face_with_spiral_eyes:

This reminds me of a video I watched about mens’ and womens’ brains. It’s meant to be purely humorous, not to be offensive.

16 Likes

Oh, I’ve made one! Once… I’m not skilled enough to have any tips or tricks. Just a warning that it’s way more fiddly than it seems to add all the dangly bits I like. :laughing: Feathers especially can be quite awkward!

13 Likes

I made something based off of the idea a long time ago - I took a metal crafting hoop, looped thin leather all the way around, strung strings like a spider web and decorated it with shiny beads to catch the light. I have no idea where it is now, though - probably packed up in storage somewhere! :package:

I know we all have our own respected ideas about cultural appropriation (and there’s a really great discussion already going about it here: Can we talk about “Cultural Appropriation”? so I don’t want to re-open it elsewhere!), but I’m afraid someone told me very adamantly a few years ago that dream catchers could only be used by Native American people. Whether that’s actually something backed by Native American peoples or not I don’t know, but this person’s very fierce shutdown of having dream catchers without native heritage is something that stayed with me. Regardless of whether it’s true or not, the idea become internalized, so I don’t currently have any on display here in my space.

Still, I find dream catchers to be really beautiful and I appreciate them when I see them (especially those that have been crafted from the heart!)

If you decide to craft a dream catcher or something similar, I’m wishing you all the best, Sivonnah - blessed be and happy crafting ! :hugs: :heart:

13 Likes

I may need some assistance with that the … stupid fingers!

That sounds beautiful :heart_eyes: Cultural appropriation is a topic I don’t really understand. Many non Native Americans make and sell them for decades. I may do a little research about the history of dream catchers before I make one. I think that’s at least being respectful to their culture… I guess :thinking::woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

Interesting, they’re on sale here, what I’d call, earthy stores, handcrafted too. No-ones made a statement, and most are made from places like Peru, Mexico :person_shrugging:, so I’m confused? :rofl: Anyways I found this.

From here
Dreamcatchers are not your “aesthetic” — The Indigenous Foundation.

So I think the point here is motive, spirituality, or profit. Just my understanding :sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

Ok. I get it. Im not selling it so maybe I’m ok :thinking:

12 Likes

Thank you, Sivonnah! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I have full respect to you for being open and honest about where you stand with the topic - I think the world would be a more peaceful place if more people were able to do what you can! :heart: :blush:

It is a very impassioned topic, and one that people invest a lot of emotions into to back their point of view. But although it has a history of being a tough topic, I’m so impressed with the Cultural Appropriation discussion here with the Coven! It’s truly an amazing thing when everyone can share their personal thoughts and experiences while still showing respect to fellow members :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think that counts for quite a lot! :heart:

At the end of the day, through all of the different opinions, experiences, and points of view that sometimes contradict one another, the very best anyone can do is be respectful :pray: :blush:

This looks like a great article - thank you very much for sharing it, Tracy! I’m going to bookmark to read the whole thing later :pray: :heart:

I took a quick look, and I really like their exploration of the different parts of a dream catcher. It’s really neat to learn about the careful meaning put into each piece

Picture from the Indigenous Foundation

Thank you again, Tracy! It is enlightening to learn about :open_book: :eyes: :two_hearts:

13 Likes

Hahahahahaha that’s funny :rofl::rofl::laughing: to that video mens brains

12 Likes

What an odd coincidence. I had a similar experience and even donated the ones I owned to a local tribe in New Mexico. It was enough of an impression that I’ve never thought to own or create another again. Whether right or wrong.

11 Likes

Here I go again, complicating things for myself when I can just use TECHNOLOGY. :laughing: Oh geez…

That’s a great idea. :black_heart:

10 Likes

I’ve made a handful of them now. I don’t sell them. I make them for fun and have given a few away. I don’t have many tips. Maybe when doing the inside netting use something that won’t fray too much. I like to use hemp or waxed embroidery floss. You can use anything to wrap your hoop, or and you can use any type of hoop. I’ve made one from a wooden wreath. That’s all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps in some way. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Sorry you had a similar experience, Artemisia :people_hugging: :heart:

People’s words sure have an astounding amount of power in them- they don’t even have to be true words in order to compell someone to do (or not do) something! It’s really an amazing force - thinking about it makes me want to always be extra mindful with my own words :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Thanks, Katerina! :hugs: :two_hearts:

That’s very creative and resourceful! :grinning: :+1:

8 Likes

I understand what you mean. :people_hugging:

I also notice your care with words. Many do, really. I have some proof, but sadly, I cannot share it. :smile:

You have an amazing amount of patience and grace when you speak. Every sentence you say feels like each word was once a seedling that you nurtured and grew until it blossomed into a message of understanding, hope, and peace.

:silver_heart: :black_heart:

9 Likes

It’s sad that you’ve both had these experiences. (@BryWisteria @Artemisia ) I must admit, maybe it’s just Bristol who knows? But I’ve yet to experience such a vicious backlash when it comes to magical practice. The people I’ve been lucky enough to meet have always been helpful, and offered guidence. Even the coffee lady wasn’t rude in her reading refusal, she was very gracious really. I’m sorry you’ve both had these experiences. :frowning::sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Awww that means a lot to me that you think that, Katerina! Thank you :people_hugging: :heart:

Oh goodness, right into my heart with the beautiful seedling metaphor! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: This is so lovely and brightened up my morning - you’re very sweet (and a truly talented writer too!) :two_hearts:

That’s a sign of a good community and some very good luck too! :blush:

May you continue to be met with grace and patience, no matter the situation - it’s what everyone deserves :heart:

9 Likes

9 Likes

Oh geeze morty

8 Likes

You have a beautiful collection, @Assyla555! I really like the two designs with a crescent moon :crescent_moon: :sparkles:

8 Likes

Oh wow! :hugs: You’re extremely talented :purple_heart::heart::blue_heart:

7 Likes

@Assyla555 Such beautiful dreams catchers :green_heart:

7 Likes