Enchant your summer with fairy magick

Celebrating International Fairy Day

Right on the heels of the Summer Solstice comes the annual recognition day known as International Fairy Day on June 24.

Do you believe in fairies? Did you know that 44% of British people surveyed claim to have seen a fairy? Although I can’t say the same, I find it fascinating that tales of little magical folk that are hard to see are practically universal and that fairy images and lore recur in art and literature. In Mexico, they are called duendes. In Hawaii, they are called menehune. Native American tribes also believed in tiny magical people.

The word fairy comes from an Old French word, “faerie” meaning a supernatural creature. The “fae” includes all types of magical beings, such as elves, brownies, pixies, gnomes, sprites and others. When we think of fairies, we usually imagine a pixie – a tiny creature with wings that loves flowers and the woods.

Fairies were considered guardians of nature. In Scotland, Wales, Ireland and England, fairies were feared and sometimes negative events, such as deaths, illness or storms, were attributed to them.

But if fairies were feared, they were also believed to grant wishes or bring good luck, if one remained in their good graces. If you don’t want to offend the fae, here were some rules to keep in mind:

• Never ask a fairy its name or tell a fairy your real name.
  • Never say thank you to a fairy but express appreciation.
  • Never stand in a fairy circle or disturb a fairy path.
  • Never keep iron about, unless you want to keep them out.

When people immigrated to America, they brought their legends and practices with them. The modern fairy we know and love today has become a more gentle and less fearsome magical creature. We imagine fairies to be beautiful, graceful and cheerful young beings with transparent, dragon-fly-like wings. We associate them with flowers, gardens, toadstools, flying insects, magic and childhood.

Magical Fairy Gardens

One way to celebrate International Fairy Day is to create a miniature fairy garden. In addition to possibly attracting the little creatures to your home, this activity has many mundane benefits, including:

• Connects you to fascinating legends, lore, literature and art.
  • Reinforces an appreciation for nature and beauty.
  • Distracts you in a playful way from cares and worries.
  • Reminds you there are mysteries beyond what you can see.
  • Engages your imagination to think creatively.

Fairy gardens first began to appear in the 19th century. People created whimsical little spots in their gardens, decorated with flowers and shiny objects they thought fairies would like.

Some also left offerings of milk, honey or cakes. In fact, what we call a cupcake is called a fairy cake in England!

It was believed if you enticed fairies to visit your garden and treated them well, you might be rewarded.

How can you tell if a fairy has visited your garden? People claimed a fairy was present if you heard faint laughter or the sound of bells. Some say fairies appear as orbs of light and that a good time to spot one is at twilight.

Fairy Garden Tips

There are many good fairy garden ideas on Pinterest. Here are some items you might want to add to your garden…

• Plant flowers for pollinators – bees and butterflies.
  • Set out water for the birds to drink and take baths.
  • Fairy flowers - bluebell, foxglove, cosmos, coneflower, violets.
  • Fairy herbs – lavender, thyme, dill, mint, rosemary.
  • Crystals – quartz, amethyst, moonstone, etc.
  • Shells, moss, rocks and something sparkly (avoid glitter or salt).
  • A dish or pool of water… or a small mirror.
  • Wind chimes (fairies love music!)
  • Fairy-sized chairs, doors, houses, etc.

More Ideas for Celebrating International Fairy Day

Fairy Magic

• Meditate on a card from the Oracle of the Fairies by Karen Kay, fairy expert.
  • Leave an offering of honey, cake or water for the fairies.
  • Leave a gift for the fairies in exchange for a wish.

Fairy-Themed Fun

• Read a fairy tale or poem about fairies. What did it teach you?
  • Watch a fairy movie, e.g., “A Midsummer’s Nights Dream.”
  • Visit a fairy garden at a botanical garden.
  • Take a nature walk in the woods or tree-filled park.
  • Make fairy cakes (cupcakes) and have a tea party or picnic.
  • Craft a pendant or earrings with fairy or toadstool charms.
  • Craft a crown or wreath with flowers, ribbons and crystals.
  • Color a fairy picture, draw fairies or journal about fairies.
    (photo credit: Tu Ngyuen, Pexels.com)
    p
15 Likes

Thank you for sharing this!

I have always been both fascinated and wary of fairies all my life. I’ve heard many a tale from my grandmother and mother about the mischievous nature of fairies and how it’s best not to cross them. I don’t think I have ever attempted to work with them. I’m happy to keep a safe distance and admire them :laughing: Or get a tattoo with several of them (which I did over a quarter century ago - ribbons, flowers, fairies and imps)
:fairy:

9 Likes

Very useful info about the Fay and wishing magic combined. I will summon more fay for sure

Maybe I’ll get a rainbow colored candle a big one and make a “summon fay candle”

5 Likes

It’s coming up fast!

What a great exploration of fairies and ways to celebrate them on their special day :blush: I haven’t gone mushroom hunting yet this year (and we don’t collect mushrooms here in the US, they’re different than in Poland and I don’t want to risk anything :mushroom: :eyes:), but perhaps I’ll go on a hunt sometime this week and see if I can spot another fairy ring :sparkles:

Thank you, Mary, and happy (early) Fairy Day! :fairy: :heart:

5 Likes