Essential Oil Experience

I’ve fallen behind. When I heard about a set of storms coming in which would drop our temperatures drastically, I knew I had to seal the windows and balcony door to keep electric prices lower over the winter. If it gets too cold out, the double sided tape won’t stick. Well, I sealed the bedroom window and the balcony door in one day and wrenched my back. Call this an explanation for the need for the experiment, not a search for pity.

I started with lavender oil. Great on neck muscles and charlie horses, but didn’t do much for my back. Usually, I use Vick’s Vaporub on sore muscles. It eases the pain so I can get to sleep, but one night wasn’t enough time to heal, this time.

Meanwhile, I’ve been studying essential oil use on adrenals. Lots of junk mail involved, but one email suggested using basil for thyroid or menopause symptoms. I’ve had my thyroid tested, and it was fine, but for some reason, basil stuck in my mind, so I tried it.

The related site suggested using essential oils on the bottoms of the feet. My feet are very dry, so I went for it. The first three times, I really slathered it on. Last night, I took it a bit easier. Tonight, no oil use. I was able to get the final window sealed just before the set of storms comes in tomorrow!

Side effects: I can’t sleep. When I do sleep, I’m dreamless- odd for me. I’m not hungry or thirsty. I have a lot more acid than usual for no apparent reason. My feet feel burning hot- like they would if temps were still in the 80’s. If it weren’t for the feet, I’d use it more often, though not sleeping isn’t conducive to getting other things done. One possible positive is that I seem to notice premonitions easier.

I’m not sure why I chose Basil for my back. It did work better than my usual go-to’s, so I am grateful. I thought I’d share this just in case it helps someone else.

11 Likes

@georgia what are u looking for? I make all kinds of oil blends. Also @SilverBear is a wiz with oils. She may be able to offer insight too.

11 Likes

Today, I learned! So, a charley horse is another term for muscle cramp. That’s much more fun to say than “cramp” – “Aaah! I got a charley horse! Ow!” :joy:

I didn’t know basil was so versatile. But in looking it up, I found this explanation:

Here are some common ways to use Basil Essential Oil:

• In aromatherapy the benefits of Basil Essential Oil are known to assist with easing headaches, migraines and menstrual related cramping.
  • You can receive many Basil Essential Oil benefits when using topically. Some of these benefits can be seen when treating insect bites, inflammation and other skin complaints such as eczema, acne and minor abrasions.
  • Other Basil Essential Oil uses are known to help treat respiratory related illnesses, such as bronchitis and asthma.
  • The benefits of Basil Oil are also known to be useful to those experiencing muscle and joint pain, spasms, cramps and gout.

From here, Basil Essential Oil Uses & Benefits - AWO

Just building on what you’re saying, not contradicting. :bowing_woman:

That’s a strange side effect. :thinking: Not feeling hungry is fine, but not feeling thirsty seems a little risky.

What’s this like? :black_heart:

I have a lot of basil that I have to use up. (I love cooking.) So I might try this tonight.

10 Likes

Thank you for your kind offers @Mistress_Of_Herbs. I’m not seeking anything at the moment- just sharing a bit of amazement. A neighbor is just learning, so if anything comes up, I may need you two as a resource.

This is good to know! I get bronchitis or pneumonia and eczema often in relation to my allergy to vitamin A. I learn from you, too!

Yes, a lack of thirst is risky. Knowing this side effect could help caregivers.

11 Likes

All this thinking about basil is making me want to cook something delicious…

I’ve got a growing headache though, so perhaps it’s finally time for some basil. :black_heart:

9 Likes

All I know about cooking with basil is spaghetti. I put so many wonderful herbs in my spaghetti as a youth that even in my old age, anyone else’s tastes bland! I ruined it for myself.

9 Likes

Forgive me for not answering your question right away. Something along these lines could actually be a witchy challenge, if @BryWisteria is amenable to it at some point. Please grant me a bit of time to gather some information so I can give you a more well-rounded answer?

At the moment, I’m feeling better than I have for a couple of years. I choose to use this physical energy to clean and catch up a bit, in case the basil is a short term energy burst. If it continues, basil oil may have been the breakthrough I desperately needed to boost me out of traumatic burn out, this time. Here’s hoping!

I am working on your request. I know where the information is. I want to type it up for you, but there is quite a bit. Thank you for your patience, dear.

8 Likes

There’s no rush (or obligation to answer) whatsoever. :people_hugging: :black_heart:

That does sound like a fun challenge prompt, though. Perhaps we can wait for that to arrive. :smile:

I’m glad you’re feeling better than previously. :black_heart:

I also feel pretty great after using basil… Even though I used holy/tulsi basil instead of the regular variety. It’s almost like mint in its freshness? Wonderful stuff! :sparkles:

9 Likes

Ah me dearie, this is the type of questions I have always loved and lived for!:grin:

Check it out?
https://forum.spells8.com/t/23-senses-not-5/43341
I hope this answers some of your questions. If not, please let me know, and I’ll see if I can rephrase for you.:sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

I think the feelings are different for each person. If you’ve never used those senses before, it will feel odd and insecure. If others have shamed you for using such senses in the past, you may not remember the original use, but the shaming will come forth as embarrassment or fear. Those of us who are aware of society’s preferences but who were free to use all these senses may feel imprisoned, wanting to express, but knowing it’s the messenger that gets punished. Of course, some have no inhibitions and blurt it all out, regardless of the consequences- sometimes they are accepted, sometimes not.

My cousin’s reactions to the doppelganger experience show where I fall. He doesn’t know what I saw, and probably never will, simply because of his reactions. Yet the doppel knew that I could see it, so I suppose some part of him knows. shrug Acceptance is in his court, his choice, as is how he wants to act on the information.

5 Likes

A senses challenge sounds like fun! :grinning: I will add it to the challenge to-do list :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear about your back, Georgia :people_hugging: :heart: I’m glad the essential oils helped you- thank you so much for sharing the results of your creative EO experiment! :raised_hands: :grinning:

5 Likes