Essiac Tea

Essiac Tea is a blend of four herbs that was made popular by nurse Rene Caisse in Canada. Essiac is Rene’s last name spelled backwards.

In the 1920s, she received the recipe from a patient who was told about the formula by the Ojibwa people - an indigenous tribe of the region. Rene used the formula to treat cancer patients who were told there was no cure, and she had good results.

Key Benefits of Essiac Tea

• Rich in Antioxidants - The high concentration of antioxidants in the herbal blend helps combat oxidative stress, reducing the effects of ageing and likelihood of developing certain chronic diseases.
  • Anti-Inflammatory Agent - Many of the conditions that affect our gut & digestive tract are the result of inflammation. Each active ingredient helps reduce inflammation, reducing the likelihood of developing these conditions.
  • Boosts Immune System Response - Burdock root & sheep sorrel increase immune cell activity and stimulate antibody production, boosting your body’s natural ability to fight off pathogens & infections.
  • Eliminates Harmful Toxins - Essiac tea is a well-documented detoxifying herbal tea, as it stimulates the liver to process & remove toxins more efficiently. The result is higher energy levels and overall well-being.
  • Supports Gut & Digestive Health - The gut is often referred to as your body’s “second brain.” But when it’s filled with harmful substances, it’s not nearly as effective, and impacts all of your mental & physical productivity. Essiac acts as brain food for your gut, keeping you sharp all day long.

:warning: As always, check with any relevant health professionals before starting any herbal remedy. This is especially the case if you are on any medication and there can be conflicts between them. These remedies are not meant to replace treatment for serious issues including but not limited to cancer and tumours.

The four herbs included in essiac are also great in their own right. These herbs are often used on their own or in combination with other herbs.

Burdock (Arctium lappa )

A biennial herb that grows to a height of 1.5m. The large broad green leaves are hairy and paler underneath. The flowers are reddish purple with green hooked bracts. Burdock has deep long roots that are white on the inside and dark brown on the outside.

The roots are eaten as a food in Japan. They are known as Gobo. They are a good source of fibre and are very nutritious. They can be harvested in spring of their first year or autumn of their second year.

Burdock root helps the body cleanse itself from toxins. It opens the channels for elimination in the bowel, kidneys, lungs, and skin. It is useful when there is a buildup of waste. This waste causes inflammation, as in rheumatism, gout, and arthritis. Burdock is a potent blood cleanser. It’s useful for skin conditions like boils, acne, eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.

Sheep Sorrel (Rumex acetosella)

Sheep sorrel is a perennial with a creeping habit, with lance-shaped leaves 5-8cm long. Spikes of insignificant tiny, yellow flowers turn into small red/brown seeds. Leaves and stems can also have a brown tinge. The plant reaches a height of 30cm when in flower.

The bite-size leaves are great to add to a salad; they add a sour lemony taste. The leaves can also be added to sauces and soups.

Sheep sorrel has a diuretic action, helping to remove excess fluid from the body. It is a tonic for the urinary tract and kidneys. The leaves are also rich in vitamin C.

Slippery elm (Ulmus rubra)

Slippery Elm is a medium-sized deciduous tree that can grow up to 20 meters in height. It has dark brown to reddish-brown bark. It has broad, ovate leaves with a rough texture. The inner bark is the part used for medicinal purposes. It becomes slippery and mucilaginous when mixed with water.

Slippery elm inner bark is rich in mucilage. Mucilage is a mix of complex polysaccharides. They form a soothing, gel-like fibre when water is added. The main action of use is mucilage. It soothes the mucous membranes of the digestive tract. Traditionally, it was used to soothe sore throats and tonsillitis. It also treats coughs, dry lungs, and upset stomachs. It was also used externally for healing wounds and other skin inflammations.

Turkey Rhubarb (Rheum palmatum)

This plant is known for its large leaves and thick, red stems. The roots are the parts most commonly used for medicinal purposes.

Turkey rhubarb is a gentle laxative. It is used for its purgative properties. It helps cleanse the body, especially the liver and the blood. It can also used in small doses to treat digestive issues.

Recipe

Ingredients & Tools

• 1 ½ pounds (680 grams) cut burdock root
  • 1 pound (454 grams) powdered sheep sorrel
  • ¼ pound (113 grams) powdered slippery elm
  • 1 ounce (28 grams) powdered rhubarb root
  • Saucepan with lid
  • Stainless steel sieve (you can use a muslin cloth too to reduce sediment)
  • Large stirring spoon (wood or stainless steel)
  • Stainless steel funnel
  • Sterilised glass bottles/jars for storage
  • Water used for the tea should be as pure as possible

Method

1. Measure out the desired amount of dry ingredients.
  2. Pour the correct amount of water into a saucepan. For a quart (1.13 litres) of tea, you need 1 ounce (28 grams) of herbal blend. For a gallon (4.55 litres) of tea, you need 4 ounces (113 grams) of herbal blend.
  3. Bring water to a rolling boil (lots of big bubbles) with the lid on.
  4. Turn the heat down and stir dry ingredients into boiling water.
  5. Replace the lid and continue to simmer at reduced heat for 10 minutes.
  6. Turn off the stove.
  7. Scrape down the sides of the saucepan and stir the mixture thoroughly.
  8. Replace lid, let it sit and cool undisturbed for 12 hours (overnight).
  9. After 12 hours - Reheat to steaming hot, but do not let it boil.
  10. Turn off heat and allow herbs to settle for a few minutes.
  11. Pour hot liquid through a sieve (and muslin if using) to catch sediment.
  12. Use funnel to fill sterilised bottles, put lids on.
  13. Allow bottles to cool, then tighten lids.
  14. Store in refrigerator.

Daily Tonic Dose: Drink 60ml before bed, at least 2 hours after food.

For general health, drink ½ ounce (14 millilitres) of tea in two ounces (57 millilitres) of water once daily. Rene Caisse suggested it be taken at bedtime on an empty stomach. To fight disease, gradually increase consumption of Essiac tea to 1 ounce (28 millilitres) of tea in 2 ounces (57 millilitres) of water once daily. The tea can be consumed cold or hot and more water can be added for a milder flavour. Nurse Caisse cautioned against drinking more in hopes of better or faster results.

Source: Everything is from https://www.herbcottage.com.au except for the herb ratios, water measurements, and detailed dosage, which are from Essiac Tea Recipe

14 Likes

What an interesting blend- I hadn’t heard of Essiac Tea before, but I grateful to learn about it! :tea: :grinning:

Thank you for sharing, @starborn :heart::herb:

11 Likes

I found this on Amazon:

https://a.co/d/hSt3RDy

11 Likes

Fabulous! Thank you! I was wondering where to find all those items!

11 Likes

I heard about Essiac tea when I worked at a natural food store many years ago. Many people claimed it worked really well!

10 Likes

The place I was originally going to get mine from sold out (Essiac Tea | Sheep Sorrel Including Roots - Mudbrick Herb Cottage), so I’ve been searching for it elsewhere. One thing I’ve noticed is that some stores have a bunch of negative reviews saying that the blend is particularly bitter and strong in taste. So, it seems that not all premixed essiac teas are created equally.

I mean, I wouldn’t expect it to taste nice to begin with. It sounds like it tastes… not great. :sweat_smile: But it seems like there are particularly “potent” tasting ones out there, too.

And the ones with good reviews on taste are much more expensive (here, anyway). Like this, https://organicmerchant.com.au/product/essiac-tea

I’ll try a few and see how it goes. :smile:

9 Likes

I’ve definitely never tasted it :sweat_smile: but you’re right it doesn’t sound like it tastes very good. I’d probably drink it for the benefits but it would be hard :joy:

9 Likes

Yeah, but what healthy thing isn’t hard to take? :laughing:

If it’s really that bad, if I hold my nose, things lose a lot of their taste because smell and taste are really connected. So that might help. :thinking: The recommended dose is very small, anyway. Almost like taking medicine.

I’m sure I’ll eventually get used to it to some degree, though. :smile: Like, my elixirs still aren’t nice at all, but they don’t bother me like they initially did.

9 Likes

haha you’re right, you’re right! Ohh, you said your tinctures aren’t that great to take… I wonder if this could be turned into some sort of tincture so it’s easier to take - like a concentrated version? :joy:

10 Likes

The only problem with my tinctures (and it’s a small one) is that the instructions to take them are to drop them under the tongue. :cry: She told me I can have them with some water, but not much.

Anyway, the thing I’m getting at is that without the extra water, the aftertaste might stay… :sweat_smile: Although, I could just drink a little water afterwards, and that should be okay. But she says to take them on an empty stomach and not eat for 10 minutes after, either. So it would have to be water and not like… a chocolate. :crazy_face:

These amounts sound like what you’re suggesting:

I have some espresso shot glasses. That should be easy to down quickly, I think? Or did you mean even less than that, since following it up with some water might work?

I guess I can experiment anyway. I only just made the order, so I might receive them next week or, at worst, the week after.

I’ll let you all know how terrible or not terrible it is. :laughing:

9 Likes

@starborn I think the one I found on Amazon is made by the same woman you got the recipe from.

Nothing compares to the one ALS med I tried! I would use a Listerine breath strip, the sticky one before I drank it. Had to take another one after I somehow managed to get the 8oz down! Then I’d suck on a mint and the taste still wasn’t gone! Oh I also added a few drops of mint extract! @starborn holding my nose made it worse! And I had to do it 2x a day! Ughhh… I ended up being allergic to it.

9 Likes

No, I suppose that amount would work for a tincture :sweat_smile: My USA brain struggles to comprehend milliliters and I didn’t even notice the ounce measurement. You can definitely tell I haven’t been feeling well :joy:

If you give it a shot (pun 100% intended :joy:) you’ll have to let me know how it tastes!

That sounds absolutely horrible! :grimacing: and worse, you were allergic to it! You know it’s bad when even the Listerine strips don’t do anything to it lol

9 Likes

That sounds absolutely horrifying! :scream: What was this terrible liquid made of? Kryptonite? The Pokemon Grimer or Muk? :sob:

[Muk | Non-alien Creatures Wiki | Fandom]

No worries. My brain also breaks down, but the other way around, with ounces. I’m just like… What even is that? :laughing:

9 Likes

I can’t do it either. Cups and 1/2 cups or teaspoon or tablespoon

9 Likes

haha I’m glad to know it’s not just me :sweat_smile: that image is perfect for the way I feel sometimes.

9 Likes

Could have been radiation for all I know! I can’t believe they couldn’t make it taste less horrific!

9 Likes

I forgot that I had ordered some essiac tea, so we’re finally trying it this morning!

Heated the water to 80°C (176°F) then poured it over ice so it would be cool enough to drink down in one go.

It looks terrible but it actually tastes alright. No complaints about flavour at all.

I filtered the rest a bit further into glasses and put it into the fridge.

Instructions say to have when waking up (as I have just done) or before going to bed. So I’ll probably make it in batches like I did just now and we’ll drink it over a few days.

It’ll be easy to add to our routine. :silver_heart: :black_heart:

7 Likes

@MeganB i have found that taking a tincture mixed with mt dew masks the taste but it doesnt decrease the effects. At least not with the one i have made with everclear.

8 Likes

Interesting! I bet it’s nice and refreshing with the ice :ice_cube: :tea: :blush:

Let us know what you think after a few days! I’m curious to hear if that’s enough time for any benefits to manifest, or it needs to be taken over a longer period.

Enjoy! :heart: :teapot:

7 Likes

Fortunately, I don’t have any serious issues for it to address, so perhaps not. But we are monitoring my autoimmune markers, so if I keep this up and they’re gone after my next test, that would be amazing news. :star_struck:

But also, the exercises my physiotherapist gave me are likely to make them go away, too. The presence of only one marker in a minor fashion and some knee trouble I’ve had makes us pretty sure it’s the knee issue. And that will be solved with these core exercises I do. So there’s that to consider. :black_heart:

7 Likes