Facts and Story about Dr. Jose Rizal

Hello and welcome to all, today I will give out information about Dr. Jose Rizal, one of the iconic figures of Philippines revolution, this isn’t intended to attack the Spanish of current times, I’m merely giving out information about a man who gave and still does give hope to every Filipino of the past, present and future, Enjoy and Blessed Be, Margaret

José Rizal, in full José Protacio Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda, (born June 19, 1861, Calamba, Philippines—died December 30, 1896, Manila), patriot, physician, and man of letters who was an inspiration to the Philippine nationalist movement. The son of a prosperous landowner, Rizal was educated in Manila and at the University of Madrid. A brilliant medical student, he soon committed himself to the reform of Spanish rule in his home country, though he never advocated Philippine independence. Most of his writing was done in Europe, where he resided between 1882 and 1892. Jose Rizal, or José Protacio “Pepe” Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda (1861-1896), was a Filipino polymath, nationalist, and the most prominent advocate for reforms in the Philippines during the Spanish colonial era. He is known for, among other things, writing Noli Me Tángere and its sequel, El Filibusterismo. These two novels were intended to expose the ills of Philippine society and call for a peaceful reform against the Spanish regime.

His first book Noli Me Tangere in 1887, a passionate book exposing the dark side of morality of the Spanish rule in the Philippines (In my own opinion he caused even more deaths than those who wielded brawn or swords in a time of oppression in the Philippines and latter becomes the catalyst to start a revolutions, I know how the death penalty system worked in his time from college lessons, most of it are brutal and morbid and caused myself a panic attack in campus grounds before COVID19 pandemic struck every nation). The sequel, El Filibusterismo was published in 1891, this established his reputation as the leading spokesman of the Philippine reform movement. He published an annotated edition (1890; reprinted 1958) of Antonio Morga’s Sucesos de las Islas Filipinas, hoping to show that the native people of the Philippines had a long history before the coming of the Spaniards

Rizal’s political program included integration of the Philippines as a province of Spain, representation in the Cortes (the Spanish parliament), the replacement of Spanish friars by Filipino priests, freedom of assembly and expression, and equality of Filipinos and Spaniards before the law. This is in part to the GOMBURZA Filipino priests who were martyrs killed by the Spanish in his time, Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo are likely his works to not only those 3 priests but also to all the Filipinos in not only his time but also for those living in present time.
He is known for, among other things, writing Noli Me Tángere and its sequel, El Filibusterismo. These two novels were intended to expose the ills of Philippine society and call for a peaceful reform against the Spanish regime.

Rizal returned to the Philippines in 1892. He founded a nonviolent-reform society, the Liga Filipina, in Manila, and was deported to Dapitan in northwest Mindanao. He remained in exile for the next four years. In 1896 the Katipunan, a Filipino nationalist secret society, revolted against Spain. Although he had no connections with that organization and he had had no part in the insurrection, Rizal was arrested and tried for sedition by the military. Found guilty, he was publicly executed by a firing squad in Manila. His martyrdom convinced Filipinos that there was no alternative to independence from Spain. On the eve of his execution, while confined in Fort Santiago, Rizal wrote “Último adiós” (“Last Farewell”), a masterpiece of 19th-century Spanish verse.

Note: The reason why his pen name in his written books is so long with 7 names it is done to throw off the Spanish officials from figuring out he had written books exposing the truth about them and the difficulties the Filipinos would face if revolution is done by bloodshed and violence. The story of this man was partly what still gave me hope in the darkest of times even if he does have a fault of being a “babaero” (search up it’s translation and meaning in google, I have no other term for it), He like the rest of the patriots were willing to lay down their lives if it meant freedom from a generation of oppression from the invaders, so many innocent people were killed in the past which gave the patriots reason to finally fight back after 300 plus years of the nation and its subjects being in suffering from corruption and greed. I may not be a prodigy like him yet his story connected after learning he was also a sickly frail child before becoming the legend he’s known today for a lot of Filipinos and to know he also studied Arnis like me also made it feel like there may still be hope for not only the country but all of mankind

References:

6 Likes

I do love your research posts, they are always so well thought out :heart: I’ve bookmarked it so I can have a proper read of it later :heart: thank you :heart:

4 Likes

You’re welcome @Liisa , Have fun researching about him

3 Likes