First magickal project!

Hello all!
As I am brand new and still finding my way, I have been doing so much reading to see what resonates with me.
I happened upon a post discussing how to make your own cleansing smoke sticks (aka smudge sticks). I am a Canadian teacher who has worked with indigenous folks so I avoid the term “smudge” (just a personal choice -no judgement). I realized that I have Russian sage and bee balm that is exactly at the right stage to harvest! I was so happy and peaceful making these -I didn’t struggle, even though I had never made them before. Is this what magick is? Just wanted to share, as I was so happy to make these :snowflake:

17 Likes

They turned out beautiful! :heart:

8 Likes

They’re lovely :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Oh, wow! Those are beautiful! Too pretty to burn! LOL!

5 Likes

@Amethyst I thought so too! Thanks for the nice comment :hugs: :snowflake:

7 Likes

They turned out amazing! :clap: You did a wonderful job - I’m sure they’re going to work perfectly for you!

Yes, yes it is! :hugs: :sparkles:

7 Likes

You’re welcome, my dear!

5 Likes

Those are stunning!! I hope they serve you well!!

Also, because I also try to be very respectful of Indigenous Cultures and I don’t have a lot of direct contact and experience with those individuals, could you explain the word “smudge” to me? Totally a no judgenment statement, I really am just curious and if I should change my vocabulary, I’d like to do so!

8 Likes

I am starting to really get it - thank-you for the affirmation @MeganB :snowflake:

6 Likes

You’re very welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Absolutely beautiful

5 Likes

@AileyGrey As a descendant of colonizers of Turtle Island, I am acutely aware of the cultural appropriation that has taken place over so many generations. I understand that the “smudge” may not be exclusive to Indigenous nations, but when we are on stolen land, I feel it behooves us to not take what is not ours any further than we have already done. In the Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee culture (where I live now) and in the Dene Kue culture (when I lived in the Arctic) the smudging of sweet grass and sage was a big part of ceremony. That said, I spoke to an Anishinabee knowledge keeper and they told me to use “cleansing smoke” instead of “smudge”. A key tent of cultural appropriation, is to benefit in some way from a cultural practice that is not your own And I am definitely benefiting from cleansing smoke!
Again, if you want to “smudge”. It’s up to you, but I now feel uncomfortable using indigenous terminology in my own practice. I hope that helps, and thank-you so much for asking! :snowflake:

10 Likes

Hi @ArcticCharm I’m personally happy that you choose not to use the term smudging for cleansing your space. For many reasons I won’t go into here, I am just grateful that we can use this practice without discrimination in today’s world/America/Canada without the persecution that exists even today in the Native / indigenous community when and where they need to perform this ritual.

I love what you’ve created - it’s nice looking and looks like it will dry out nicely. For your reference in case you aren’t already aware (my apologies if you are) …. Russian Sage, although it is often used in place of other sages for smoke cleansing/rituals, it is not in the sage family, and does not originate in Russia. It is native to Western China, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. Both Russian Sage and Rosemary were recently reclassified as Salvias! Russian sage is associated magickally with wisdom, knowledge, and more recently cleansing, joy and self worth. It has tons of medicinal benefits I won’t elaborate on here :).

As far as Bee Balm, it is absolutely for purification but also relaxation, and used in many spells as well as cleansing rituals. Bee Balm is a go to for herbal apothecary as well.

The answer to this is - YES, everything done with magickal intent, specific intention, or future magickal purpose in mind, then used in a way that evokes the plant spirit and magickal properties is practicing magick and will aid your own innate abilities towards your magickal goals!!

With much light and love :green_heart:! J

edited to correct errors in spelling

7 Likes

Hi @AileyGrey - just a great article for you to reference on the ethics of using the term smudge in non-indigenous practices.

I think my takeaway from this one article is summed up by this quote:

“The practice has a long and rich history that extends way before white witchy practices brought it onto Instagram feeds near you. In fact, before smudging was popularized, [it was illegal]— at least, for Indigenous folks — and often violently suppressed.
“It was illegal for Natives to practice their religion until 1978 in the U.S., and many were jailed and killed just for keeping our ways alive, including my great-great grandfather,” a Dakota/Lakota Sioux writer, tells Bustle. Smudging sage was part of those banned religious practices. Today, Native people are still fighting to be able to [perform these ceremonies in hospitals].”

Is Burning Sage Cultural Appropriation? What You Should Know.

7 Likes

@ArcticCharm this is BEAUTIFUL :heart_eyes:

I absolutely love love love this. It’s so fun and pretty and unique. I think your finding your way just fine.
It’s so easy to get caught up in indecision and the “wtf am I doing this right” mentality :upside_down_face: but you seem intuitive and it’s all about what works FOR YOU!

Your killing it
----Hazel RAE:cyclone::mirror_ball::pisces:
:nazar_amulet::sparkling_heart:🩵:capricorn:
:new_moon::waxing_crescent_moon::first_quarter_moon::waxing_gibbous_moon::full_moon::waning_gibbous_moon::last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon:

8 Likes

@jan_TheGreenWitch It amazes me that things that are natural to people have taken so long to unban. 1978, not that long ago. I pray for the world when we are all accepted regardless of who/where/what we are. Here’s to then :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Thank-you so much for your kind words @jan_TheGreenWitch and for the botany lesson! I love learning about the plants in my life :snowflake:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the article! I haven’t read it just yet, but plan to tonight! I love the fact that we can ask questions and have important dialogue in our coven! I am always a learner!

6 Likes

Thank you :snowflake:

4 Likes

It sounds like you got into your flow state and the crafting flowed beautifully- that is magick indeed! :sparkles: :herb: :blush:

Congrats on your beautiful cleansing smoke sticks, @ArcticCharm- they look really lovely and I’m sure they will serve you well! Enjoy them! :heart:

5 Likes