Found antique trunk any ideas?

Hi so i found this antique trunk on the side of the road and it was absolutely stunning :star_struck:(and dirty):face_vomiting:, so i brang it home gave it a wipe (and light scrub) down and it is stunning asides from the rusty look on the locks and paper falling apart inside at the bottom etc. So before cleaning i was planning to clean then paint it like the night sky but it is way too nice in its original condition so i was going to restore the inside by either getting sponge and using a velety like material for the inside to give it class or if i am going to do it the cheaper way, find some nice contact paper and use that (preferably shiny silver with stars)…

I was also thinking of painting the lock areas gold and the black wood parts in a coat of black but i am not sure if i will make the trunk loose it’s class.

What would you do to the trunk if you found this?:

Just adding a adult person could fit inside of it no joke thats how large it is

P.s.- Dont mind the paper on the wall, that was a recent convo with the kids about how using glue stick to put their art on the wall was not on lol :laughing:

12 Likes

It is gorgeous! Great find @TheMuslimWitch ! If it were mine, I’d leave the outside alone and keep it rustic looking. I would redo the inside probably with a black or dark blue fabric. I would probably put a piece of plywood or other thin wood on the bottom before putting down the fabric. Can’t wait to see how you fix it up! Please share pictures as you honor at least a finished project. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

9 Likes

I don’t know much about refurbishing old items/antiques, but I’d agree with you and Mystique - the inside looks like it would benefit from some TLC and then improved with some beautiful colors and maybe some paintings :milky_way: :blush:

As for the outside, it really does look sleek and attractive as it is, at least from what I can see in the pictures.

Whatever you choose to do, congrats on your fun new treasure and art project! I hope you have fun with giving it a new life :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It’s lucky to have found it’s way to you!

9 Likes

WOW. That’s awesome. You can’t find a trunk like that nowadays unless you sell an arm and a leg! That is going to look gorgeous!

10 Likes

What a great find. I love used things, I love their history and energy. What would I fill it with :thinking:, linen probably :rofl:.

9 Likes

WOW. That’s awesome :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
I adore it! :hearts: :dizzy: :revolving_hearts:

8 Likes

Sweet I got mine next to me

8 Likes

Yes my hubby said the same thing… Will share pictures for sure :blush:

6 Likes

Thank you :blush: and yes i agree with everyone here the outside is nice just the way it is so i may leave it or just touch up here and there but leave it alone. The inside needs some tlc as you said so i will have to go to my local craft shop and look at the many amazing options :star_struck:

6 Likes

Yes that’s what i told my hubby that even those plastic storage boxes are getting was too expensive… Thank you hun :blush: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

That is awesome! I have a trunk just like that one. My mom bought it when she was in the Army in 1960, so that will give you an approximate age.

6 Likes

Well i would but treasure is what i am thinking… Like what you ask??? Witchy things lol books, and who knows the choices are endless :blush:

7 Likes

When I was a young 'un, there was a fad for a while of storage trunks like that. I got a small one for thirty dollars. Now you can hardly find them!

8 Likes

Yes i know… Got no idea why, but reminds my of Harry potter like going to Hogwarts as a student type of trunk lol I thought of it once now i can’t unsee it :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Oh wow… Well looks the part it does… Hope my mini restorations give it more life :blush:

7 Likes

And you have a bird to carry mail for you! You’re all set! LOL!

6 Likes