Free and Paid Witch/Wiccan Schools

Mod Edit: This post is now a wiki! Feel free to add resources here :blush:

I just wanted to share these resources for anyone who may be interested.

Here is the expanded list:

Magickal Circle School (free)
Witch School (free basic plan, pay to upgrade)
Sacred Mists Academy (paid, includes a community and online rituals)
Temple of Witchcraft (paid, owner Christopher Penczak)

Here are some not Wicca-based for anyone interested:

Quareia (free)
22 Teachings
The School of Magick

The College of Psychic Studies and https://www.youtube.com/@MenshikovaSchool
Added by @tracyS

Witchcraft For Beginners | Magick & Witchcraft Academy

And Magicka School

And The School of Witchcraft - Professional education for the witchesā€™ affairs

And Home - thepeculiarbrunette.com

And Witches Of The CraftĀ®

And https://www.udemy.com/ Astrid the Psychic Witch

Added by @erla1

20 Likes

Are they all Wiccan based?

13 Likes

Good to know! Which one do you prefer the best?
I would like to find something similar in Sweden or Scandinavia but Iā€™m too lazy to research. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I like Sacred Mists. Thereā€™s a community like a witchy Facebook plus they have regular esbat and sabbat rituals in the chatroom and itā€™s a really warm community. There are assignments you must complete that are graded by your experienced mentor which will help one learn better, too.

Magickal Circle School is completely free and great, though, as well.

Go with a) what feels right for you and b) what you are able to afford at the moment :slightly_smiling_face: @Nacurro

11 Likes

These, I believe so. Temple of Witchcraft might delve into other paths but Iā€™m not sure as I donā€™t have experience with it. @Mystique

Here are some not Wicca-based for anyone interested:

Quareia (free)
22 Teachings
The School of Magick

10 Likes

If I remember correctly, the Temple of Witchcraft is based around Penczakā€™s own witchcraft tradition, not Wicca. It may look like Wicca sometimes but thatā€™s because Wicca borrowed a lot from Traditional British Witchcraft. I believe TBW is what Penczakā€™s tradition is based around, too.

10 Likes

Talking of witch school, does anyone have any good Saxon witchcraft books they can recommend. Thereā€™s alot on Saxon tradition and folklore, but Iā€™m not finding much on witchcraft unless this is probably under TBW :person_shrugging::grin:

11 Likes

I havenā€™t read anything specifically about Saxon Witchcraft. I know that Raymond Buckland wrote a book thatā€™s now titled Bucklandā€™s Book of Saxon Witchcraft. Iā€™ve never read it but it seems like itā€™s Saxon-based Wicca and not historically-based Saxon practice.

The Wikipeida article on Witchcraft in Anglo-Saxon England has some good information that could be a starting point. Here are just a few quotes from there that could serve as a jumping point for more information.

From surviving historical and archaeological evidence from the period, contemporary scholars believe that beliefs regarding magic in Anglo-Saxon England revolved largely around magico-medicinal healing, the use of various charms, amulets and herbal preparations to cure the sick. Literary accounts of many of these medicinal charms still survive. Archaeologists have also argued that certain burials, both in the pagan and Christian periods, represented female magical practitioners, of ā€œcunning womenā€, who may have practised witchcraft alongside benevolent magic.

In an academic paper published in 1989, Anthony Davies of the University of Groningen noted that in the surviving literature, there were five separate accounts of Anglo-Saxon witches recorded in Anglo-Saxon or Norman England. Four of these, he argued, represented witches who were ā€œlittle more than literary constructsā€, owing more to the folk tales of the time than to any actual magical practitioners. The fifth,[which?] he argued, represented a genuine magical practitioner accused of a malevolent act.

The bibliography of the Wikipedia page has this article listed as a source which would probably be a good one to read if you can find it. Iā€™ve looked online everywhere and had trouble finding it. I literally couldnā€™t find a copy online anywhere :laughing: but I do know that the library at Stanford has a copy that canā€™t be accessed unless youā€™re affiliated with the school in some way.

JSTOR is a good place to find articles and information. I found this article Anglo-Saxon medicine and magic thatā€™s free to read with an account. You can create an account for free and read 100 articles a month, for free, without a school affiliation or anything. Hereā€™s a search, too ā€“ Search results | JSTOR ā€“ that you might find something helpful!

I also found a book called Aspects of Anglo-Saxon Magic by Bill Griffiths, though Iā€™ve never read it!

12 Likes

@MeganB This is really helpful thankyou. Itā€™s weird that itā€™s a part of my countries history but information is either scarce or exclusive to members only club (what are they hiding :thinking:, my conspiracy mind goes into overtime :rofl:). I will continue to dig and look up all these references. Thankyou very much lovely :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

@VioletFreya @MeganB very useful links!
thanks! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
bookmarked

9 Likes

hi hi here are a few too :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

If this is done wrong, please fix it for me :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Nope, you did just fine! :heart: There is so much information out there on witchcraft and paganism, itā€™s amazing! The online information was severely lacking back when I was first learning about Wicca in the early 2000s. Itā€™s wonderful to see how far things have come!

9 Likes

Thank you so much dear Megan :heart:
I was always in the library trying to read about magic but a lot of it was in English and that wasnā€™t my strong point :blush:
Love how much you can find today :smiley:

8 Likes

That book @MeganB was talking about is under ten bucks on magick.com

9 Likes

@Devenne Thanks lovely :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Hope you have the best day @tracyS lots of love to you :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::revolving_hearts::kissing_heart:

8 Likes

@Devenne Thankyou, you too :two_hearts: love you :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

10 Likes

oh so much! thank you very much! :pentagram: :revolving_hearts: :hekate_wheel:

10 Likes