Giving Back in the Season of Gratitude - An Offering for Nature šŸŒ²

Merry meet!

November is often considered to be the ā€œseason of gratitudeā€- itā€™s certainly the current theme in seemingly most of the email newsletters I get, as well as current family discussions about Thanksgiving :turkey: .

I found myself meditating on the theme this weekend, and decided I wanted to do something small to give back to nature. The plan was to make an edible garland of cranberries and popcorn (a fond memory from my childhood), but unfortunately I couldnā€™t find fresh cranberries here in Poland- itā€™s not a local crop :sweat_smile:

I had some help with the project! :paw_prints:

Wellā€¦ not really :joy_cat:

Just popcorn isnā€™t quite as nutritious as with fruit, but I made do with what I could find/what wasnā€™t too expensive. I was worried it would be really fragile, but it survived somehow!

And I put it out on the tree! After an hourā€™s work, it looked like a lot on the ground- but wrapped around the little tree it turned out to not be very much at all :sweat_smile:

I donā€™t get to do much crafting these days (I donā€™t have much crafting stuff with me in the suitcase) so it was enjoyable and relaxing just to sit and string the popcorn. It also felt good to be doing something- even something so small!- as an offering :blush:

Hopefully the birds appreciate the gesture! :baby_chick: :popcorn: :evergreen_tree:

Have you done any fun crafts recently? :thread: Have you/are you planning anything for the season of gratitude? :pray:

Lots of love and blessed be! :sparkles:

9 Likes

Aww! I love your helper and you both did a good job on the garland! It looks great!

Here at the apartments there was problems with critters, bears, raccoons, and rats. So weā€™re not allowed to put out anything for the wildlife. Whomp-whomp. Guess Iā€™ll just have to show Iā€™m thankful for my food by eating it all up! LOL!

6 Likes

Thatā€™s beautiful @BryWisteria! I was just reading something the other day about making garland for the wild life. I was thinking about drying some apples and grapes, now I am going to add some popcorn. Thanks for the idea!

6 Likes

This sounds like a simple thing to do with kiddos, too!

What do you use to string them up? Fishing line? Thread?

As for crafting, I think weā€™ll be putting up our thankful tree soon. It goes on the wall and we write the names of people and things that weā€™re thankful for on little leaves and create a full tree!

6 Likes

That is such a great offering to the birds @BryWisteria! I love sitting and focusing on stringing popcorn, one.by.one and meditating as it comes together. It looks great on your tree and your helper did a great job too! :popcorn::evergreen_tree::heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

Great idea! :popcorn: :evergreen_tree: The simplest things can bring the most happiness.

6 Likes

I love the idea of stringing popcorn for the birds @BryWisteria and the tree :evergreen_tree: looks lovely. I have a tree in my front yard that would work. :thinking: What a great helper you have. :cat2: :heart:

I agree with you, @Kasandra It is the little things that bring the most happiness! Iā€™ve always believed, The treasures (memories) in your heart :heart: are more important than ā€˜things.ā€™

6 Likes

So much fun @BryWisteria ! Our family actuall Does something similar during advent. We string popcorn and cranberries and make ornaments out of stale bread that we flatten and cut out with cookie cutters, smear with peanut butter, and dip in bird seed. We also slice apples for our deer. We decorate one of our outside trees with everything and read Dream Snow by Eric Carleā€¦ which is about the same thing. Bo know your birdie friends will love it!

6 Likes

@Amethyst Awww Iā€™m happy you think so- thank you, Amethyst! :heart: And uh-oh, sounds like you have some very eager wild neighbors there :bear: :laughing: And haha appreciating your food is a great way to express thanks- that sounds like a great plan! :plate_with_cutlery: :yum::two_hearts:

@Ostara Thank you, Ostara! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think apples and grapes are great offerings- lots of nutrition for our wild friends in the cold months! Good luck with your crafting- I hope you have fun with it! :heart::bird:

@MeganB Youā€™re right- it would be a great craft to do with kids! I remember we used to make them growing up, although I probably ate more than what went on the garland :joy: Yes, I used thread! :thread: Your thankful tree sounds lovely- what a great interactive decoration for the season! :evergreen_tree: :pray:

@jan_TheGreenWitch I agree- it was a very meditative process stringing the popcorn, and the purring sleeping kitty took the relaxation level to the next step :laughing: Thank you so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Kasandra Beautifully said, Kasandra- agreed! :blush: Honestly, I think I may have enjoyed the crafting process more than the birds enjoyed the snack :laughing:

@Marsha Hahaha thank you, Marsha! :heart: Iā€™ll tell my helper you think so- Iā€™m sure heā€™d be flattered :smiley_cat:

@AileyGrey Gosh that sounds amazing, Ailey- adding in stale bread is a great idea, and a wonderful use for leftover bread- I love that! :bread: It sounds like you turn it into quite the tasty treat with the peanut butter and bird seed- Iā€™m sure the birds in your neighborhood look forward to it every year! :bird: :two_hearts:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.