Greek Devotionals Question

I am currently going through the Devotionals for Greek Gods, but I was wondering if there was a Devotional for Hades?

4 Likes

Great question! There currently isn’t one on the pagan devotionals page. I will work on that.

In the meantime, here’s a hymn to Hades by the blog hadescalling:

“Oh, blessed king of shades,
when our fragile life from this world fades,
we join you in yours, a comforting afterlife.
Together with you and your elegant wife.
Hades, ruler of the underworld, praise be to you.
For the one thing in this world I know to be true:
You guide us through your realm with comforting hands.
Leading us to our fate, together with family and friends.
Along with your lovely and beloved consort Persephone,
who showers us with flowers and shares her seeds, in our home to be.
Land of eternal rest, beneathe our graves,
From the loneliness and bitterness of death, us he saves.
Blessed be Hades king of shade.
Our devotion to each other will never fade.”

7 Likes

You might also find Theoi.com helpful in terms of Homeric and Orphic hymns.

Here is an Orphic Hymn they have listed on their website. This might also give you some inspiration to write your own!

Orphic Hymn 18 to Pluton (trans. Taylor) (Greek hymns C3rd B.C. to 2nd A.D.) :
"To Plouton (Pluto) [Haides].

Plouton, magnanimous, whose realms profound are fixed beneath the firm and solid ground, in the Tartarean plains remote from sight, and wrapt for ever in the depths of night. Zeus Khthonios (of the Underworld), thy sacred ear incline, and pleased accept these sacred rites divine. Earth’s keys to thee, illustrious king, belong, its secret gates unlocking, deep and strong. ‘Tis thine abundant annual fruits to bear, for needy mortals are thy constant care. To thee, great king, all sovereign earth assigned, the seat of gods and basis of mankind. Thy throne is fixed in Haides’ dismal plains, distant, unknown to the rest, where darkness reigns; where, destitute of breath, pale spectres dwell, in endless, dire, inexorable hell; and in dread Akheron (Acheron), whose depths obscure, earth’s stable roots eternally secure. O mighty Daimon, whose decision dread, the future fate determines of the dead, with Demeter’s girl [Persephone] captive, through grassy plains, drawn in a four-yoked car with loosened reins, rapt over the deep, impelled by love, you flew till Eleusinia’s city rose to view: there, in a wondrous cave obscure and deep, the sacred maid secure from search you keep, the cave of Atthis, whose wide gates display an entrance to the kingdoms void of day. Of works unseen and seen thy power alone to be the great dispending source is known. All-ruling, holy God, with glory bright, thee sacred poets and their hymns delight, propitious to thy mystics’ works incline, rejoicing come, for holy rites are thine."

5 Likes

Great question, @quadeera! This is a great time of year to invoke Hades, God of the Underworld :skull_and_crossbones: I’m also curious about learning more about him :eyes:

Thanks for the great resources @Francisco and @MeganB! :clap:

4 Likes

Thanks!! I forgot to mention Theoi.com! That’s probably the number one online source when it comes to anything related to Greek gods and mythology. So many great things to read in there!

5 Likes