Halloween Chili 🍲

I make this chili right before Halloween every year. It is good on the same day but it is even better on the second day. It makes about six bowls. I serve it with tortilla chips (I love the orange and black ones my grocery store makes!) and toppings like cheese and sour cream. Yummy with pumpkin ale or apple cider to drink. It is freezes well and is vegetarian. I added a couple of chopped carrots once and that was good. I use the number 3 to make it more magickal :slight_smile: Saute in a big pot or Dutch oven, in extra virgin olive oil until the yellow onion is transparent:

• 1 large yellow onion, chopped (or 2 medium or 3 small ones)
  • 3 shallots. If you don’t have them, not needed.
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped fine (or more)
  • 3 green onions chopped
  • 2 large green bell peppers, chopped (or use a mix of colors)

Add

• 1 big can of diced tomatoes and their juice (or 2 regular sized cans)
  • 1 reg. size can of tomato sauce, or two small cans
  • 1 regular size can of water
  • 3 cans of beans, rinsed β€” e.g., black, pinto and garbanzo or your favorites.

Stir in the spices below. For more heat, increase the chili powder to a tablespoon or add a pinch of cayenne. If you are missing any particular spice, it still turns out fine.

• 3 bay leaves, whole (remove before serving)
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1 teaspoon curry
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • A dash of cocoa powder (or square of dark chocolate)
  • 1 Tablespoon paprika
  • A dash of salt

Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer 90 min – 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

8 Likes

I need a bigger pot!

6 Likes

Chili sounds really good for those cooler days!

4 Likes

@mary25 that looks amazing. I just told hubs yesterday we need to make chilli.

4 Likes

Yum you are making me hungry. Can you get over here and make some? Jokes… I will use your recipe Thanks for sharing :blush:

5 Likes

I made chili Friday! This sounds good. I never thought to add cinnamon, I’ll have to try it!

4 Likes

Ohhhhh now I’ve got a chili craving- this sounds (and looks!) delicious :drooling_face: :shallow_pan_of_food:

Thanks for sharing the fun recipe, @mary25- enjoy your tasty Halloween chili! :sparkles:

3 Likes