Happy Herb Harvesting Season! What herbs are you drying this year? šŸŒæ

Iā€™m glad you escaped that one too- yikes! Canā€™t feel too bad for them, though, since they gave you a hard time unfairly- maybe sometimes karma is a burrow of angry yellow jackets :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It definitely is! Iā€™ll have to dig in and do some research (or should I say, bee-search? :joy: :honeybee:)

5 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity thats a beautiful bounty. As for harvesting it, @BryWisteria advice for an insta cup is spot on.

If u are wanting to harvest it for longer storage. It must be cut, washed, and hung to dry (this can take several weeks). When completely dry pop off the flower portion and save. Discard the rest. If u want more detailed instructions send me a pm.

Best of luck

5 Likes

@BryWisteria ha ha ha ā€œphone a friendā€ i love that.

4 Likes

Hey @lisa67 feverfew is an amazing herb. Heres some info for u and a few recipes.

Medicinally feverfew is called medieval aspirin or asprin of the 18th century, as it aids with reducing migraines and overall preventing headaches in general. What many may not know is it can also bring on contractions during labor (which is why if u are pregnant, u should use with extra caution). Bc feverfew causes uterine contractions many used to use it to start menstrual cycles, and aid in the pain that followed. But bc of these contractions, another word of caution, this herb can cause premature labor and also miscarriages. It can also soothe insect bites, similar to calendula. If u are sensitive to ragweed, it may cause an allergic reaction.

Magikally feverfew is used to consecrate tools, break binding spells, health, love, protection, and cleansing and purification.

Element is water. Planet is Venus. Astrological sign is Taurus. Chakra is the heart.

As for recipes, i wasnt sure what actual ailment u needed it for, so i just came up with a few for ya. If u need others or whatever just let me know.

For migraine sufferers feverfew and lemon balm are amazing. (I know, i use this regularly) @BryWisteria this is why u remember me saying something about it, lol

Also u can tryā€¦

Feverfew
Lavender
Chamomile

Last oneā€¦

Feverfew
Rosemary
Peppermint

Hope this helps. Happy harvesting!!!

6 Likes

Thank you for that.

How much do you cut off?
Do you you cut it and leave the stems?
After washing do you bunch it and hang it upside down?
Does it have to be somewhere dark?

Sorry for the barrage of questions

Blessed be

Alan

5 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity ok so the easiest way i can tell u without showing u, is make a bouquet of them. Wash them, put them together tightly, tie a string around them, and hang them upside down. U can hang them in a dark space, but it isnt necessary. I hang mine in the pantry, on the wall, above my sink. Just wherever u want really. This process takes weeks to fully become dry and free of moisture. Not as long of a drying time as roses, but close. Flowers are fickle, bc they hold alot of moisture. And in order for it not to mold, it must be completely dry.

Also a small dehydrator works wonders. It will be dry in less than a day. Usually around 12-16 hrs.

Also NEVER be sorry for asking questions. I dont mind them. My opinion is the only stupid question is an unasked one. By all means ask away!!! If i dont know the answer, dont worry. We will help u find the answer if there is one.

5 Likes

Thank younso much. I will give it a try as my chamomile is now growing out of control!

Blessed be

Alan

5 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs Yes! I am looking to experiment making a tea and tincture from Feverfew, Lemon balm, and Mint - for headache and calming purposes. I tried a little bit of the mixture in a Tulsi tea - it was delicious and relaxing. I hadnā€™t thought about Feverfew, Lavender, and Chamomile, or use Rosemary! I have tried the aromatic application of Rosemary when I was experiencing chronic migraines - this seemed to alleviate some of the discomfort to make the pain manageable, at least for me. I guess the Feverfew would play off the Chamomile, which is naturally a calming herb. Have you used only the leaves, or did you use the flower as well (Feverfew)? Assuming you are using a 1:1:1 herb ratio, are you using this as a tincture, or have you made a glycerine? Thank you for including the elemental aspect of Feverfew as this will be helpful in my personal research! I am just getting into this myself, and enrolled in a small course discussing Elemental herbalism. :blush: :herb: :herb:

If its not to forward, may I reach out to you on occasion and inquire on your personal experience with herbs? Not all of my family is onboard with me working with herbs, and are of the opinion that I am ā€œfull of itā€, and a few that take me seriously, but neglect to really look into the aspects of the herb that is being dumped into a jar with alcohol poured on it. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

@lisa67 i use the whole herb if harvesting it. I have even ground up the stems. Waste not want not lol

I use it in tinctures.

And u are most welcome. Knowledge is power. As for reaching out to meā€¦by all means. Im available for questions, concerns, or whatever. My family thinks im gonna burn in hell. So ask away!!!

6 Likes

Ring ring, herbal buddy! :telephone_receiver: :grin: :heart:

Thanks for letting me ā€œcallā€ on you and for sharing your wonderful herbal wisdom- youā€™re amazing, Christeena! :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

@BryWisteria youā€™re welcome to ā€œcallā€ me anytime my dear friend

4 Likes

Thank you so much! :hugs: :heart: :herb:

4 Likes