Happy Herb Harvesting Season! What herbs are you drying this year? 🌿

Merry meet!

It’s that wonderful time of year when the gardens are in bloom (just look at all the lovely garden pics over in Magical Gardens- I’m constantly in awe of everyone’s plants! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: ) and I’ve started on the summer harvests.

So far, I’ve collected and started the drying process for:

• Lavender
  • Calendula
  • Yarrow
  • Purple coneflower / Ecchinacea
  • Lemon balm / Melissa
  • Raspberry leaf
  • Rose petals

I’m really behind on the kitchen garden herbs though- the thyme, oregano and basil are already starting to bloom and I haven’t taken any yet so far! :scream: Goodness, things move so quickly at this time of year.

Have you started your harvest yet? What plants/herbs are you hoping to dry and store this year? :blush:

May your gardens be thriving! :green_heart: :sparkles:

Blessed be

16 Likes

One day I am going to garden and learn to do it well. That day is not today. I am filled with joy looking at your bounty! How wonderful! No doubt you will use it all well!

PS… lemon balm and raspberry leaf makes my very favorite tea!

8 Likes

I believe in you, Ailey! Someday you’ll manifest the garden of your dreams- and I want to see lots of pictures of it when you do! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :handshake:

And thank you- I’ll try to things in creative ways: in teas, spellwork, sachets (especially the lavender!), and maybe tinctures (I just need to find some more Everclear to use as a base).

Lemon balm raspberry leaf sounds amazing- I might have to whip up a batch and give it a taste! :tea: :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Oh my! You’ve got quite the bounty going on there! Congratulations!

5 Likes

@BryWisteria :hushed: :hushed: :hushed: Looky at that! 2-3 years ago I had quite a few herbs that I was growing - this year, not so much. Working on gathering and drying Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme, Sage, Feverfew, and Lemon balm. I have fresh Basil, but I haven’t been able to work with it that well other than for pesto, salads, and well, just eating it. :blush:

Do you mind me asking what you plan to do with yours? Do you have a favorite recipe? Will you make tinctures, glycerines, oils…?

7 Likes

@BryWisteria

All your plants and herbs look so beautiful Bry! I have not started harvesting anything yet, only a few tomatoes so far. We have had a very cool and wet May, and June, so we are off to a late start here! Hopefully, I can begin in August or September!

With love :green_heart: always

4 Likes

@Amethyst Thank you, Amethyst! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@lisa67 It sounds like you have some lovely plants in your garden, Lisa- and hooray for fresh basil! Our basil isn’t doing too well here this year I’m afraid, but we’ve had enough to snip some for pasta salads and flatbread pizzas. Fresh basil is an addictive taste :yum::herb:

And yes! There’s a little bit of a plan within the chaos haha. For tea will be the lemon balm (relaxation/anti-anxiety tea) and the yarrow and raspberry leaves (menstrual cramp tea). I’ll bag the lavender into sachets and dream pouches- there’s nothing better for a sleep aid! The others will probably end up as either tinctures (especially the echinacea- makes for a good cold prevention tincture) or just for use in cosmetic things and spellwork. The rose petals make great bath blends :blush: :rose:

Wishing you all the best with your harvest- if you come across any fun recipes for your dried herbs, please feel free to share them, I’d love to hear about them! :green_heart: :grinning:

@Marsha Thank you, Marsha! :heart: Our tomatoes aren’t doing so well here either- here’s to hoping that they will be a bumper crop for both of us as the season progresses! :grinning: :tomato: Wishing you a fun and happy harvest when the time is right- enjoy! :green_heart: :blush:

5 Likes

Does lavendar grow in Georgia? I really would love to attempt that. I guess I’ll have to do some research and maybe make some plans for next year! Maybe.

5 Likes

I don’t have any herbs growing right now - it’s too hot and humid in Florida. I have harvested plenty of jalapenos, tomatoes, and other goodies from the garden!

4 Likes

@BryWisteria nice summer haul of gorgeous herbs! You and I must be on the same wavelength today as I too harvested a bumper crop of summer herbs and hung them to dry. Today I collected:

Rosemary
Thyme
Oregano
Mint
Lavender
Basil

(Dried roses were from a few months ago)

Happy harvest!! :herb::potted_plant::garlic:

8 Likes

@AileyGrey I see some “cold hardy” varieties of lavender here in New England (and goodness knows we need them- last winter killed about half of our lavender plants! :scream:), but they originally come from the Mediterranean, so I would think it could handle much warmer climates too. If you’d like to grow some, I’d recommend calling up your local plant nursery or shop and asking what varieties they recommend for your area! :purple_heart: :grinning:

@MeganB That sounds like an awesome harvest- may your veggies and garden goodies keep on coming, Megan! :blush: :tomato: :hot_pepper:

@Satu_TheGreenWitch Woohooo look at those beauties! And I have major envy over your beautiful hanging rack- they look so elegant drying there. The roses make a really lovely burst of flowers in the middle! What will you use the roses for, if I may ask? :rose: :grinning:

6 Likes

Thank you! For the roses, I haven’t decided yet so I’m open to any suggestions!

6 Likes

Some of my plants are doing great, but others not so well. It has been so hot.
So far I have dried catnip(it was threatening to take up the entire herb garden), lemon balm, lemon grass, rosemary, thyme, rue, mug wort and of course sunflowers. I planted pepper mint and spear mint in other parts of the yard, but it’s barely hanging on. My lemon grass loves the hot weather. It is going insane. :sun: :hot_face:

5 Likes

Thank you! :heart: Now, if I could just keep the puppies out of the garden… that would be great!

I’ve got one bed that’s got some wildflowers growing in it. They haven’t sprouted yet, but they’re getting pretty tall! I need to go out there and do some weeding, but it’s been rainy and pretty hot. Our growing season is nearing an end and I need to start prepping and planning for the next one.

@Ostara – Did your sage survive? It was sage, right? I can’t remember :sweat_smile: I’ve got my fingers crossed for the rest of your garden!

4 Likes

It’s struggling right now. My purple sage didn’t make it.

4 Likes

Oh no!! :herb: :sob: :headstone: I hope the rest of your sage does, and all your other plants! :pray: :sparkles:

4 Likes

Thank you Megan! :people_hugging:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I know a lot of the issue is heat, but have you tried working a little magic to help the garden along? You could use a sigil on a bay leaf buried in the garden, or even drawing a sigil in the garden with your fingers on a regular basis could work!

4 Likes

That is a great idea Megan! I’m going to do that today! My hibiscus are really suffering right now too. I will try that with them also.

4 Likes

Hooray! :tada: Good luck!

Ohh! And with the New Moon coming up tomorrow, you could also charge some moon water and use it to water your plants!

4 Likes