10 Questions to Ask Yourself When Doing Shadow Work
What emotions am I holding on to that I’m not allowing myself to feel?
What have I not spoken out loud that I know to be true?
What do you want people to know about your experience?
At what point did you learn that it was not safe to speak your truth?
What are you holding on to that you didn’t have to?
What are you trying to grieve that you’re not ready to be “past”?
What do you think will happen when you speak your truth (think, feelings, needs)?
Who are you shielding by not speaking your truth?
What would your inner child want to say if she knew she would be heard?
What does your inner child need to hear from you?
Once you have finished these questions. Place your hand on your heart and complete this statement.
“I don’t have to know everything about my story yet. But I can start telling myself the truth about ____________.”
Also when working with shadow questions that relate to trauma you do not have to remember more or dig into things you may not be ready for. If it becomes overwhelming…stop…ground yourself and come back another time.
Shadow Work originated from Carl Jung, who defined the shadow self as the “hidden” side of the human psyche. It’s not about getting rid of it..but acknowledging it is there, and accepting it. After all it IS part of what makes you…you.