Help with Motivation

Hi Everyone,

Lately, I’ve been feeling a lack of motivation to practice, which is really bothering me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to gain some motivation whether it’s through spells or other tools?

Thanks!

8 Likes

I go through this with my practice and it usually has something to do with my mental health. So it comes and goes like waves. I take it slow and start to make sure I am doing at least one thing witchy a day and go from there. It doesn’t matter what it is, sometimes I start with the coffee consecration or maybe a daily tarot pull or just something simple like putting an essential oil in my diffuser. Then as the day goes on, just kind of add to that one thing.

9 Likes

This is really hard for me, so I thank you for asking. I just try to add some magic to the daily things I do. Bless my medicines, stir happiness into my tea, things like that. I believe it’s the little things that matter.

6 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

4 Likes

I agree with what Krissie said: Start small. Read and write.

• Find a book about the Craft (there are so many! Browse the recommendations category) and when you don’t feel like doing anything else, read a couple pages. That is enough.

• Start journaling. Write about the craft or simply about what could motivate (or demotivate) you. Journal about what you read and other things that go through your mind. Meditation and journaling also go well together!

• Go out in nature. Spend some time in a beautiful place and find inspiration there to rekindle your love for the craft.

Sometimes Magic feels the strongest when we really need it. Perhaps you’re just at a point where you don’t have a real need for it.

Full moons (esbats), solstices and equinoxes usually give us a boost of motivation. But after that, it can be hard to keep practicing if there isn’t a specific intention. My advice is that you daydream a bit more! Fantasize and find goals, intentions that you can then work towards achieving.

8 Likes

Thank you for asking. I too have those times wherein I found my solution by incorporating my practice with typical daily rituals, like waking up and basic hygiene. Washing away the tar, the guck, and the yuck- cleansing ritual. Password or Phrases I need to remember for work are based on ritual, god and goddess names, chakras, elements, Sabbats, and Esbats, and the dates - - in different languages like Klingon - whatever makes sense for you, just don’t forget it :laughing: :sweat_smile:. Every time I use it, it is a reminder that there is something magical all around me.

I don’t have a designated time perse’. As a Solitary Witch, I made my practice a part of my life for it is not meant to be a chore but a lifestyle for myself. :white_flower:

Being on Spells8 has given me more structure and my practice continues to grow in ways that are unique to me and covenly (is that even a word?) fun!

7 Likes

I feel the same way!! I wanted to make it fun since were supposed to have fun while you do any ritual. One is supposed to feel they are at a state of consciousness where they feel they can connect to the elements during any ritual. I felt a strong connection while reading this book it is really good. Right know we are on the fire element and I have been contemplating what to do. I love candle magic and working with fire. Anyway I needed to get inspired and started to read from my hudge collection of books. The one that really stood out to me was the christopher Penczak. The great thing about his books is that they come with the Meditation and Cd companion. I have not used them yet but I think it will be exciting to hear drumming, singing bowl journey. Any way before you meditate its good to get to a good meditative state. How can you embody a relax meditative state? The way to do that is by the load drumming of music or flute. Don’t be afraid to to find something that is knew to you! Tomorrow I have decided for a ritual. I am going to scry outside, and create magical experience. I just looked in my book from Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft and found something that excites my adventures self.

This way I can feel the energy come through my feet from the soil. I will try new things out like not having shoes on. I will try to have communication with the tress and nature outside. I would really like to invest in some drums for chanting! I cant wait to go outside and drum and feel the freedom. Its just apart of the creative mind.
Jeannie
Blessed Be

8 Likes

I do a lot of journaling whether about the craft or just things on my mind. I love to do shadow work and record any dreams that I may remember. It’s usually whatever is passing through my mind at the time.

I think this is where I am right now. I don’t have a real need for it at the moment so I can do simpler things to associate with my craft.

Today I put Grapefruit in my diffuser for self-love, mental clarity, and emotional openness. I did a 4 card pull for the day too & it was very informative about my current situation. I have been looking up different correspondences for my essential oils. I have to go through my incense and see which ones I am low on, I tend to use my diffuser more than the incense or pick an incense that goes with what is in my diffuser.

I have a couple of things that I need to finish. I have a pinecone & cross that I need to burn… which would be easier this time of year if I had a wood stove or fireplace. I also have a couple of small spell jars on my altar & the witch’s ball above my bed. I would love to make another cross, but I haven’t been able to get out to find the grass to use for it. Between my house & the neighbor’s, I should be able to find some beach grass with no problem. She has it growing up the sides of her back porch.

6 Likes

Everyone else here has already shared some great resources and tips, so thank you all for that :heart:

One important thing I always try to remind myself is motivation isn’t an all-or-nothing type of thing. Some days I’m super motivated. Others I can’t be bothered to do the simplest of things (other than my offerings and devotions – that’s different).

Motivation is a spectrum and I think it is totally fine to exist somewhere along the line of extra motivated and not motivated at all.

One thing that might be getting in the way is not necessarily a lack of motivation, but a lack of direction. If you are trying to take in all the information you possibly can, your brain may not know what to do. Instead of feeling motivated, you feel stuck and like you just can’t even bother. This isn’t lack of motivation, it’s too many distractions and your focus being drawn in too many directions. Start small, as someone already suggested, and focus on one thing at a time. See if that helps!

8 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

All these ideas are so helpful and it’s good to know that I am not the only one that feels that way at times.

When I go through my moods at times just a cup of tea while meditating helps me alot! @Susurrus As Krissie117 said journaling can help. Sometime a simple walk outside helps too.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

There are some fantastic ideas and advice shared here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m raising my hand too- as not only a witch, but someone who works in a creative field- motivation definitely comes and goes. It can be quite a challenge at times!

Adding to everyone’s wise words and suggestions, I’ve found that working with Carnelian helps- as it is a stone of creativity and motivation :gem:

There are some more resources and additional suggestions that can be found in the following threads:

Good luck and Blessed be! :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

@BryWisteria thank you for the additional resources/threads. I think I will check them out too!

5 Likes