Here I go! Starting my herbalism adventure

How exciting! :clap: I don’t know too much about herbs so I’m afraid I wouldn’t be of any help at all there lol but your local library is a great place for free resources in terms of herbs and plants in your area! They should even have books and resources to help you find local folklore. I’d start there :blush:

8 Likes

Hi, I have a basic knowledge of herbs, and i mean basic! I’d love to study with you :grin:

7 Likes

I’m still learning myself but I know @Mistress_Of_Herbs has been a great source of information here.

8 Likes

I’m also still learning a little bit each day as I use them, my diffusers, & find what is local to me or at least close enough for me to drive to. My husband has gotten me things from friends of his that go to specialty stores. I think it was Rue that he got from a friend of his for me because he knew where the place was to get it :hugs:

I use labels on all of my jars & bottles with correspondences on them so I have a better idea when I’m looking through them.

I hope you learn all that you can & are able to integrate it within your practice & share that knowledge with us too! :revolving_hearts: We love to learn about herbs :herb: & fragrances & uses!

7 Likes

@Amaris_Bane awwwww thanks. @Artemisia i would be happy to help u with anything u need. Just ask

7 Likes

How exciting! :star_struck: I am cheering you on in full force as you continue your journey into herbalism- it sounds like you’ve already got some great plans in place! :herb::sparkles:

In terms of a book of herbal spells, I just finished the Wicca Book of Herbal Spells by Lisa Chamberlain and I really enjoyed it. She recommends a “one herb at a time” approach, where each herb is studied and then a few spells with minimal ingredients (to put the focus herb in the spotlight) are explored. I really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone studying herbal magick! :green_heart:

For free herbal resources, there are a few here: Free Books for Green and Kitchen Witches :books:

Seconding Amaris here if I can- the @Mistress_Of_Herbs truly lives up to her username! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ohhhhh I was actually working on my own materia medica design a while back, but I never finished it (I wanted to do a separate version for mushrooms too… :mushroom:)

Bry Materia Medica

I really ought to finish it- thank you for the reminder (and inspiration), @Artemisia! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Wishing you all the best as you learn- keep on having fun with your herbal studies! :books::herb::sparkles:

7 Likes

I’ve asked for the Herbal Academy’s Materia Medica Course for an early yule present!! I’m excited to have a bit of a guideline to start with to get me over my decision paralysis. I can get caught up in the research and the finding of things and never quite get to the Doing part of what I was after in the first place.

My plan is after finishing this short course, to study (at least) one herb a month with the short-term goal of making Valerian Mint Cordial. I’m also interested in making Comfrey Cream for soreness once I get a bit more comfortable making easier recipes.

I think my 12 herbs to start creating monographs for are:

• Sage
  • Rosemary
  • Lemon Balm
  • Peppermint
  • Mugwort
  • Nettle
  • Juniper
  • Lavender
  • Calendula
  • Mullien
  • Dandelion
  • Comfrey

Most of these I picked because I grow or can find them wild easily to be able to study and attempt to draw for my Materia Medica.

Thank you for the recommendation!! I was able to reserve it at my library and can’t wait to pick it up when it comes in to read.

10 Likes

@BryWisteria awwwwwww u are too sweet

5 Likes

:hugs: :heart:

Ahhhhh!!! I was looking into that one- it looks like a great course! :heart_eyes: Once things have settled down here and we’re not paying for flights every three months I’m hoping to put some money aside to take the course. If you decide to give it a try, I would love to hear your thoughts on it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hooray! :raised_hands: Chamberlain does a really great job with exploring the herbs in magick- I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :herb::blush::open_book:

Much love and blessed be! :heart:

4 Likes

I would be grateful for any tips or suggestions you might have to offer! I’m looking to start this as no- to low-cost as I can to make sure it’s something I’m genuinely interested in before splurging and spending any scrimped and saved funds.

I would love to know your favorite:

• books
  • herbalism education websites
  • online herbalism supplies
  • must have herbs to have on hand
  • herbs to grow

I appreciate your time and help! :herb:

6 Likes

@Artemisia I haven’t made my way to a deep dive into Herbalism yet, but I do have a bookmarked educational site for it:

Currently, they have an offer for saving up to 30% on their herbal courses. I’m not sure how long it is for, but I noticed it when I got the email from there.

I hope you enjoy your studies & are able to see how it works within your practice! :revolving_hearts:

@Mistress_Of_Herbs is a great resource as well, she has helped me with a few things that I am learning to use for a couple of different things this season!

6 Likes

@Susurrus herbal academy is a good resource, i just cant afford the $44 a month.

And awwwwwww u are too sweet.

6 Likes

Ha! I was going to ask you if you knew anything about it when I came across it for when I want to do a deep dive of my own :laughing: I found it by accident a couple of weeks ago & bookmarked it to see if you had heard anything about it.

5 Likes

I also try to find no to low cost options when first starting in a subject. I’m the type to invest a bunch then it turns out I really don’t enjoy whatever it is.

This post conversation really got me thinking too. I can no longer take the medications for my spinal issue. I’ve literally run out of options…it’s taken me 18 years to exhaust the allopathic medical professionals, but now it’s done.

When visiting back to this conversation, I realized this must mean it’s time for me to take it into my own hands and bump up my herbalism knowledge beyond the few “tea” recipes I know.

So I’m starting at Udemy. They have decent courses and the one I found for Herbalism is actually quite in depth and so much more than all my books full of other people’s recipes or just lists of herbs. Here’s a link where you can check out the syllabus.

I figure if I get through this course plus the little side herbalism course I’ve got there on specifically how to make the goods…then I’ll consider going farther if I hear the calling.

Right now my goal is to just heal the heck out of myself. I was already doing yoga, meditation and sound therapy along with a dietary overhaul. Now I’m adding swimming and herbalism to the mix.

8 Likes

There is a lot of power in herbalism and medicinal workings- I’m wishing you all the best with your studies, @August_Wandering! I hope the herbal class turns out to be everything you are hoping for and more :herb::blush:

And speaking of herbal recipes, @Mistress_Of_Herbs kindly shared some wonderful ones here in the forum- here is a Masterpost of Herbal Recipes you might find interesting! :open_book:

Blessed be! :green_heart: :sparkles:

6 Likes

@August_Wandering best of luck my dear. I wish u nothing but the best

3 Likes

@August_Wandering ooooooo im definitely gonna have to check this out. I woukd love to actually have the certifications for what i know and do. Super cool. Thanks for the info

5 Likes

Oh that’s awesome @August_Wandering! I’ve looked into it a couple of places including the Herbal Academy, I will have to weigh my options once I finish my current courses. If I take too many at once I get very confused, very fast :laughing:

My care team & I have been weening me off of some medications & I like to use alternative methods when I can instead of commercial medicine for some of my conditions & such. Or even if something happens around the house or yard. Better than the prices for anything at the store that’s for sure!

4 Likes

I feel you on the need to search for alternatives. Between my facet arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, and soreness from training for races, I often need something for pain, stiffness, or nerve issues.

Thanks for linking the syllabus for that class! I might have to ask for registration as an early birthday present!

4 Likes

Ooh I’m headed over to that page right now!

3 Likes