Hestia 🔥 Greek Goddess of the Hearth

I have been prodded more than once to do a bit of research and writing about Hestia. Today, I am going to explore who she is, the role she plays in Greek mythology, and modern worship practices.

In Greek mythology, Hestia plays a very important role in both the lives of the Gods and the lives of the Ancient Greeks. She is a Goddess of hearth and home, often presiding over the fires tended by both families and cities. She is a Virgin Goddess, having bore no children, though she is often seen as a motherly deity. As an Olympian, her importance is noted in the way she always receives a portion of ritual offerings to the other Gods.

Hestia’s Family Tree

Hestia’s story begins the same as the other Olympians – she is a sister to Zeus and was thus swallowed by her father, Kronos. She was the first to be swallowed by him and, when Zeus forced Kronos to return his siblings, she was the last to be returned. This has made her both the youngest and the oldest of the children of Kronos. Her siblings include Demeter, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, and Zeus.

Zeus, Ganymedes and Hestia, Athenian red-figure kylix C6th B.C.

Despite being a Goddess, Hestia never married or had any children. Both Poseidon and Apollo sought her hand in marriage but she always refused. Eventually, she asked Zeus for permission to remain an eternal virgin. Zeus granted her this request and Hestia took her place at Zeus’s hearth.

“Zeus the Father gave her [Hestia] a high honour instead of marriage, and she has her place in the midst of the house and has the richest portion. In all the temples of the gods she has a share of honour, and among all mortal men she is chief of the goddesses.”

Homeric Hymn 5 to Aphrodite 18 ff (trans. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C7th - 4th B.C.)

Of Hearth And Home

Hestia’s main role as a Greek Goddess is that of maintaining the hearth fire. In ancient times, the hearth fire was essential to both the household and the city. This fire represents safety, community, and sustenance – all things that Hestia presides over.

In the home, Hestia watches over the baking of bread and preparation of the family meal. On a city level, she was also involved in communal feasts which often involved a sacrifice that was then consumed.

A town or city is only an extended family, and therefore had likewise its sacred hearth, the symbol of an harmonious community of citizens and of a common worship. This public hearth usually existed in the prytaneium of a town, where the goddess had her especial sanctuary (thalamos), under the name of Prutanitis, with a statue and the sacred hearth. There the prytanes offered sacrifices to her, on entering upon their office, and there, as at a private hearth, Hestia protected the suppliants.

– HESTIA - Greek Goddess of Hearth & Home (Roman Vesta)

On a more symbolic scale, the hearth fire is a sacred place of oaths and promises. As Hestia presides over the hearth fire of both home and city, oaths and sacred bonds are also in her domain. An oath would be sworn over the fire and, as the Goddess connected with the sacred flame, Hestia was often invoked during this process.

[image source]

Offerings And Worship

As I mentioned above, Hestia presides over the hearth and she receives the first sacrifice of anything given on the altar. This is in part because the sacred fire is also the altar of the home or place of worship. It is only natural to invoke the Goddess of the Hearth when giving offerings, even to other Gods, since Hestia is there first.

Common offerings to Hestia include:

• wine
  • food
  • bread
  • cinnamon
  • fruit
  • water
  • sacrificial cows (one year or older)
    – [in a modern context, maybe a piece of beef or images of a cow instead]

Images And Appearance

As a Virgin Goddess, Hestia often appears in modest clothing, veiled to protect herself and her body. She is often depicted with a vessel or a flame, two symbols closely connected to her. Though there are no descriptions of her physical appearance, there are many statues and representations of her in ancient art.

The Cult Of Hestia

It should come as no surprise that there are very few dedicated temples to Hestia. After all, she is a Goddess who was worshiped at every temple fire. She was invoked before any other God, even in their own temples, as she is the hearth keeper of Zeus himself. In ancient texts, there is mention of four different dedicated temples to Hestia. These include a temple in Sparta, Ermioni, Olympia, and Andros.

Dedication of an altar to Hestia in Karneades, Taormina (undated). The inscription states: “Beside these walls of Serapis the warden of the temple Karneades of Barke, son of Eukritos, O foreigner, and his spouse Pythias and his daughter Eraso placed to Hestia a pure altar, as a reward for this, O you that governs the marvelous dwellings of Zeus, grant to them a lovely auspiciousness of life.” [Wikipedia]

Very few free-standing temples were dedicated to Hestia. Pausanias mentions one in Ermioni and one in Sparta, the latter having an altar but no image. Xenophon’s Hellenica mentions fighting around and within Olympia’s temple of Hestia, a building separate from the city’s council hall and adjoining theatre. A temple to Hestia was in Andros.

Hestia || Wikipedia

Modern Worship of Hestia

If you are interested in working with Hestia, there are a few things you can do in a modern way to build a relationship with her, worship her, or work with her in some capacity. Keep in mind that Greek culture is still alive and well, though the country may not be Hellenic Pagan anymore. These myths and stories are part of their history.

Invoke Her First

When giving an offering to another deity at a sacred fire, it is a good idea to invoke Hestia first. Thank her for protecting your hearth and ask her to help you give your offering. Though we may not burn food as offerings anymore, I am confident that any offering given to the fire will be accepted – we are modern people, after all, and the Gods have modernized with us.

Read Her Hymns

There are many hymns and prayers to Hestia that are worth knowing. These hymns are prayers and stories that tell her life as a Goddess. They help give you insight into her character, her personality, and how she may help you.

“Hestia, in the high dwellings of all, both deathless gods and men who walk on earth, you ahve gained an everlasting abode and highest honour: glorious is your portion and your right. For without you mortals hold no banquet,–where one does not duly pour sweet wine in offering to Hestia both first and last. And you, Argeiphontes [Hermes], son of Zeus and Maia, . . . be favourable and help us, you and Hestia, the worshipful and dear. Come and dwell in this glorious house in friendship together; for you two, well knowing the noble actions of men, aid on their wisdom and their strength. Hail, Daughter of Kronos (Cronus), and you also, Hermes.”

– Homeric Hymn 24 to Hestia (trans. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C7th - 4th B.C.)

Kitchen Witchcraft

If you are a kitchen witch, you might find working with Hestia very beneficial for your practice. She presides over the hearth – maybe a modern-day oven? – and aids in the baking of bread and family meals. Hestia may be able to guide you as you cook, helping you nourish your family and provide for their safety.

Overall, Hestia is seen as a kind and nurturing Goddess. Her focus is solely on her duty as hearth keeper – tending the fires, protecting her people, and acting as an intermediary between mortals and Gods.

“O Great Vesta in your name we purify,
Our home with water and with salt.
Fill it with your Love,
Make it safe and warm.
Shelter us from harm,
Make this house our home”

Hestia’s Home Blessing Prayer || Spells8

Sources (Including Images) & Further Reading

15 Likes

This is lovely! Thank you for helping me learn about the modern uses of Hestia. I had never thought about burning an image of a cow! Such a good idea!

13 Likes

Love this :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :woman_cook: :sparkles:

After seeing you mention Hestia a few times, it is such much fun to see you jumping in to learn more about Her! You are very kind to share your wisdom - this is a treasure trove of knowledge about the goddess. Thank you for sharing it with us! :pray: :heart: :fire:

9 Likes

Thank you! :heart: I’m glad I was able to help you learn more about Hestia :fire:

Thanks, Bry! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I figured it was about time after I’ve been nudged a few times :laughing:

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing

7 Likes

Of course! :heart: I’m glad to hear it’s been helpful!

7 Likes

It was nice to learn about her. She sounds lovely :rose:

7 Likes