Highlighting text

I know there’s a way to highlight text and make it bigger but I’m clueless :crazy_face::face_with_spiral_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Can anyone explain it to me with screenshots?

10 Likes

Sure, it’s super easy!

You use the “mark” code. It’ll look like this when you type it: <mark>text goes here</mark> which will turn into this → text goes here

10 Likes

I don’t understand lol. I need written and visual instructions. I have some cognitive issues

10 Likes

That’s okay!

So, the code part is what makes the text highlight. It is the <mark> and </mark> part of what you write. The text you want to be highlighted gets written between those two codes like books between bookends.

So then this…

becomes this

Does that help?

10 Likes

Ok gotcha now! Can you make text bigger?

8 Likes

To make text bigger type the hashtag (#) then a space and the word - the text in the grey block shows what to type.

Biggest

# Biggest

Bigger

## Bigger

Big

### Big
7 Likes

Oh I see! Thank you :blush:

7 Likes

Technically this makes them “headings.”

Like, you know how in Word or Google Docs, you can select text and make it Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc., where 1 is the biggest and they get smaller from there? Same deal. One hash symbol is Heading 1, and so on. :smile:

So don’t start using it to yell every sentence at the top of your lungs, @Sivonnah, if you don’t mind. :laughing:

I joke. But yeah, just adding that to give some insight on how they can be used. :smile: :black_heart:

6 Likes

Thank you! I wanted to make titles, like

CHALLENGE ENTRY

Whoo hoo I did it!

@MeganB my tablet doesn’t have the symbol before and after mark! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::laughing::face_with_spiral_eyes:

6 Likes

Victory! Nicely done, Sivonnah! :partying_face:

Uh-oh! That does make it difficult. Is there perhaps a symbol directory button somewhere on the keyboard? Sometimes, to save space, devices will hide all of the extra symbols in another sub-keyboard. It could be worth searching around for :mag:

Alternatively, I suppose you could copy and paste the symbols ( < and > ) when you wanted to use them? I have to do that for en and em dashes (which means that I usually just use a little hyphen instead :joy:)

6 Likes

Ok I’ll poke around a little more! Thank you!

6 Likes

I got it!

As @BryWisteria suggested, I just copied @MeganB code! I saved it in my notes app so I have it!

Yay! Look at me learn stuff!:rofl::laughing::crazy_face:

6 Likes

Hooray! You did it! I knew you could :heart: Great job!

5 Likes

That’s usually the case. What you’re looking for, @Sivonnah, is something like this when you’re already on the symbols screen:

Tapping it should reveal even more symbols:

Keyboards are slightly different between phones, but that’s generally the idea. Just something to look for in case the copy pasting becomes tedious. :people_hugging:

6 Likes

Yea I checked it. It’s not there.

6 Likes