Holiday Traditions

I watched that movie last year! I’ll have to watch it again! It’s tough with older kids. I just said yesterday what’s the point. They bot asked for gifts before Christmas. For them it just seems to be about getting stuff. It makes me sad :pensive:

8 Likes

Yummy :yum: :yum: :heart:

8 Likes

I’m struggling with this a bit this year, too. Although a few are happy to have a gift, others want specific, very specific, and high-priced things. I’ve had to say a couple of times that I am not going into debt or remortgageing my house for Christmas gifts. That is ridiculous & the complete opposite of gifts. So they either appreciate what they have or don’t ask for anything, whether for their birthday or another occasion if they are superficial or otherwise dissatisfied with what they receive. It’s been a different type of Christmas for the past couple of years. I feel like there’s no real meaning except what I am getting.

& it makes me very sad too.

8 Likes

Want to adopt me? I don’t think I’m too old yet. :thinking:

My grandmother always asks what I want and I tell her, “I don’t need anything, don’t worry.” And she ends up giving me enough peanuts to kill me every time. (I’m allergic.) :laughing:

7 Likes

@Susurrus I agree…take it or leave it!

@starborn I’ll adopt you :heart::blush::black_heart:
Wow! Grandma doesn’t learn :rofl::crazy_face:

8 Likes

So I’ve decide we will light a candle to honor my mom and my father-in-law. We’ll say a prayer when we light it and burn it all day. Idk why I was trying to make it complicated, but that’s what I usually do :laughing:

8 Likes

Woo! :partying_face:

I would 100% be proud to call you one of my parents, if that really happened. :laughing:

7 Likes

Awww…that’s so sweet @starborn :heart::black_heart::purple_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Oh, ours is for the same thing. Saint Basil! We will be doing this on Sunday. :smile:

There is one event which tells that when a king who wanted to destroy the city was coming, St. Basil asked people to give some money (coins) to bribe the king in some way, to not hurt people. But, the king died and didn’t come to the city, so Basil the Great confronted the dilemma of how to return wealth to the people. And not everyone gave the same amount. He ordered the city bakeries to knead bread in ovens and to put coins inside. Then the bread was divided among people. And God’s miracle happened and everyone was returned exactly the same amount of coins as they gave. Because of this dedication, we commemorate Vasilica by placing a coin in the bread. We remember the miracle that God made through the Holy Basil.

I might try making one myself as well, if I have the time and energy. But otherwise, it’ll be on my mother-in-law. :laughing:

8 Likes

Nevermind. They bought it from a store. :laughing:

By the end of the afternoon, half of everyone had had enough alcohol and was dancing to music videos being played on the TV.

We died when my mother-in-law was dancing to Kalashnikov with finger guns in the air. Adorable little English teacher looking like “boom, boom, boom!” :laughing:

8 Likes

@starborn it souns like a good time!

That is too funny :grin: :joy: :crazy_face::rofl:

6 Likes