šŸ”„ Homemade Fire Cider

Ha! I bet He would! :joy:

Thatā€™s sneaky of them to up the spice- maybe itā€™s supposed to be a bad flu season and they wanted to up the defense! :shield: :sword_tarot: :fire:

I love your deep dives- I always learn a lot! :pray: :blush: That does make sense about the soy qualities, from that I can see why they added it into the formula.

Iā€™m excited to hear what you think when you compare the two! (Especially which one tastes better/is easier going down :laughing: )

3 Likes

haha Iā€™m wondering if the bottle I had before was just older and didnā€™t get shaken every time someone used it, so things settled differently. I donā€™t know :laughing: but this one definitely has more bite!

Thanks - I do, too! :joy: Itā€™s one thing that inspires a lot of my learning. Here lately, I donā€™t have a structured study system, I guess? I get randomly inspired and then jump down a rabbit hole. Now, I have a lot of random information about random things in my brain :rofl:

I will definitely let you know! Iā€™m getting the ingredients to make it this weekend!

4 Likes

Came back to show pics, but I do have a question.

Here are the quarts prepared:

And here is the first quart strained next to an unstrained, got a lot for the strained very happy with that:

So here is my question, most of the commercial fire cider you see is the color of what is in the top level of the jar (that beautiful dark amber color), am I supposed to separate that from what is still in the bottom? I tried straining it again (actually a couple of times and Iā€™m using cheesecloth) but it still settles all that light brown in the bottom. And when I shake it up it looks like this:

We all did a taste test (4 adults and a teen, who have all had commercial fire cider, I actually ā€œmakeā€ them take it LOL) and here are our thoughts on the recipe I used:

1. going to actually cut back on the pepper quantity just a bit, it is supposed to be spicy but it is a bit too spicy, it is supposed to warm you not burn.
  2. cutting back on the garlic quantity, it is actually overwhelming and should not be, just too garlicy if you know what I mean.
  3. It was warming and the warming was pleasant but none of us are used to doing a daily ACV thing so Iā€™m sure you have to get used to the ACV sour punch, think we might do this in a veggie juice and build up to straight.
  4. I bought a gallon container of ACV with the mother and had a quart left over, thinking I will split this leftover across the 4 quarts of strained FC and ā€œthin itā€ out for this batch, will do one quart and taste test again before I add it to the other 3.

This is def a learning process and commercially produced FC, they got it down for sure but this was fun.

5 Likes

Rosemary Gladstarā€™s recipe always came out clear for me :man_shrugging:

:goat:

4 Likes

Woohooo! Hope your cider crafting went well! :fire: :partying_face:

My batch isnā€™t quite ready yet, but I can see the residue in it- I imagine you also used dried/powdered herbs and spices in your batch too, yes? Itā€™s the same when I make homemade broth- the fresh herbs strain right out, but any dried herbs and spices will remain no matter what you strain through.

The dried herbal matter is perfectly fine to use taste and property-wise, but it does leave the sediment. If youā€™d like a batch without sediment for looks, then Iā€™d recommend using only fresh and whole herbs and spices- that should cut back a lot of the sediment! :grinning: :+1:

It sounds like you learned a lot with your first batch, Suzanne! Iā€™m glad you had fun with it- Iā€™m sure every future batch will continue to improve until you have a recipe that is ideal for you! Good luck and happy crafting with your cider- please keep us updated about future batches! :heart: :blush:

That is one beautiful batch of fire cider! I love the pouring jar you have too- that is a perfect vessel for the cider :amphora: :sparkles: :blush:

4 Likes

The paper coffee filters work great to filter out the fines, just wash the filter out really well or the next few morning coffees are going to taste STRANGE :rofl: I have a few old melitaā€™s I use for things like this :people_hugging:

5 Likes

Did I hear ā€œfire cider coffeeā€? What a brew that would be! :joy:

Donā€™t tell Starbucks thereā€™s a new seasonal recipe out there haha- itā€™ll be the next big hit! :coffee: :fire: :wink:

Thatā€™s great to know for straining future batches! Thank you Shadeweaver :pray: :blush:

4 Likes

I do use separate filters for my herbal concoctions than I do my usual morning coffee :rofl: I donā€™t think it would go over too good with Starbucks. :exploding_head: :hot_face:

4 Likes

Hahaha maybe not- perhaps weā€™ll have to open up a witch cafe instead! I wonder if anyone would be brave enough to try a fire cider coffee (I probably wouldnā€™t be- itā€™s pumpkin spice for me! :laughing: :jack_o_lantern: :coffee:)

Blessed be! :sparkles:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to open a witchy cafe! :star_struck: Itā€™s a lot of work - and a lot of money I donā€™t have - but I think it would be amazing! I can think of a few different ways to mask the taste of fire cider in coffeeā€¦ though if you include milk, youā€™d have to change the fire cider from a vinegar base to something else, because the vinegar would make it go rancidā€¦ :thinking: Iā€™m sure I could think of something! If I do, Iā€™ll let you all know lol

4 Likes

Not impossible, we have a witches tea room here in Wales, and many witchy shops and cafes in Glastonbury. Hereā€™s a few pics.

I think theyā€™re gorgeous :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

ahhh but a tea houseā€¦ :people_hugging: we could serve Fire Cider to the really brave ones :gift_heart:

4 Likes

Oh wow, thatā€™s a beautiful place, Tracy! :heart_eyes: Thatā€™s right up @BryWisteriaā€™s alle :joy:

4 Likes

I agree- that would be amazing! Sounds like the kind of place Iā€™d want to spend all day at :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :coffee:

Youā€™re right about the vinegar + milk = disaster :sweat_smile: I guess it could be labeled as an herbal tea? People tend to add milk to black tea, but herbal teas not so much.

As for other bases, two other common carriers that come to mind are vodka and oil, neither of which would be particularly tasty with milk either :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

:eyes: :two_hearts:

Oh hello there, paradise.

That just looks like the best place ever, Tracy! Donā€™t mind me adding that onto my want-to-visit listā€¦ :scroll: :heart:

Yes, the very strong souls! :muscle: :sparkles: :grin: :fire:

4 Likes

You and me both! I could just imagine spending all day there with my laptop, working in a magical ambiance with a coffee on refill!

Hmmā€¦ I think you could get away with a base of some sort of oil, especially if the coffee gets blended together with it before adding any other ingredients. I used to add coconut oil to my coffee back when I was eating a keto diet. It was pretty tasty, and when blended, it got frothy! :bubble_tea: I think if it were blended like that, in such a small quantity per drink, it would hardly be noticeable!

3 Likes

That actually sounds pretty tasty- youā€™ve sold me! I would give that version of fire cider coffee a try someday :grin: :+1: :coffee: :fire:

3 Likes

Well, if I ever get around to making my Fire Cider and trying it in coffee, Iā€™ll be sure to let you know how it goes! :joy:

3 Likes

@MeganB Hooray! Iā€™ll forward to your future experimenting someday :laughing: :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you! I havenā€™t gotten around to making any Fire Cider yet (for reasons) but when I do, itā€™ll be one of my tests!

3 Likes

When the time is right- happy crafting, and happy experimenting! :partying_face: :fire: :jar: :coffee:

3 Likes