šŸ”„ Homemade Fire Cider

Happy Monday!

Can anyone else feel fall? I know itā€™s still only August, but I swear I can already smell autumn in the morning haha.

Another sign of the changing season is that most of the herbs are going by in the garden now- so I decided to save a bit of summery goodness for the winter via a batch of fire cider :fire:

I looked at a few recipes but ended up throwing together the things I could find in the garden and cabinet. This batch contains the following:

• Apple cider vinegar
  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Black pepper
  • Turmeric
  • Ginger
  • Cinnamon
  • Star anise
  • Cloves
  • Sage - garden and tri-color
  • Rosemary
  • Parsley - flat leaf and curly
  • Basil
  • Thyme

Itā€™s a lot lessā€¦ well, fiery, than other recipes because I am a big spice baby and left out the hot pepper :laughing:

Now to shake it every day or so for the next 4 weeks and itā€™ll be ready to strain and use! :grinning:

Have you ever made fire cider before? What did you use it for? :jar:

Blessed be!

More fire cider recipes and resources:

10 Likes

Tis the Seasonā€¦ better to have it ready, as it takes a while to sit. Nasty stuff, but it;ll keep you going in the coming season. :pray: :people_hugging:

:goat:

8 Likes

This is glorious!!
I will be making some this week!

9 Likes

@Shadeweaver Hahaha youā€™re right- the taste is something ferocious :laughing: Iā€™m hoping itā€™s fierce enough to scare away any looming sickness, while still being manageable to drink! Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers: :wink:

@rebecca28 Good luck and happy crafting, Rebecca- I hope your fire cider turns out well! :fire: :jar: :blush:

6 Likes

Ooh, have 4 jars going right now, first attempt and they are supposed to be finished around the 9th. Iā€™ll take some pics in the morning and share.

I used a quick recipe I found here using common kitchen spices Speedy Fire Cider and Iā€™m hoping it turns out well. Recipe is for 1 quart (there are 5 of us here who will be using it as a tonic etc.) so I did 4 quarts and I substituted the birdā€™s eye chiliā€™s with jalapeno (love my jalapenoā€™s).
They had some awesome ideas for using it besides a spoonful as a tonic and ideas for using the pulp:
ā€œFire cider can be taken straight by the spoonful, added to organic veggie juice (throw in some olives and pickles for a non-alcoholic, healthy bloody mary!), splashed in fried rice, or drizzled on a salad with good olive oil. You can also save the strained pulp and mix it with shredded veggies like carrots, cabbage, broccoli, and fresh herbs to make delicious and aromatic stir-fries and spring rolls.ā€

If is doesnā€™t turn out well I am going to give the traditional Rosemary Gladstar one a try Fire Cider scroll to the bottom for a printable if you like.

Oh and @BryWisteria look for some of these, they come in regular jar mouth and wide mouth and are a game changer for acidic liquids and canning jar lids:

Also lil tidbit of research for everyoneā€¦ Sometimes you will see people listing recipes that call for apple cider vinegar with ā€œthe motherā€, this is what ā€œthe motherā€ is:
Apple cider vinegar with ā€˜the motherā€™ contains a higher amount of beneficial compounds like acetic acid, enzymes, proteins, and friendly bacteria due to its unfiltered nature. On the other hand, vinegar without ā€˜the motherā€™ goes through a filtering process that removes these elements.

The mother is what is in the ACV that makes it good for your digestive system.

7 Likes

Very exciting! I hope your batches turn out wonderfully- please let us know what you think of the final result when they are ready! :jar: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And thank you so much for the recipes and printable pages- those are awesome to have. That is so nice that they are preserving (and sharing) Gladstarā€™s recipe with herbalists of the future! :herb: :blush:

The piece of parchment paper I used to protect the lid is working but is certainly not the best option available haha. Iā€™ll keep an eye out for these lid jars- they sound great for working with vinegar/acidic products!

Thank you, Suzanne! :heart:

5 Likes

Wow 4 jars of Fire Cider! :exploding_head: I have troubles getting through 1. :hot_face: Iā€™d share it with others, but once someone tries it they look at me like Iā€™m trying to kill them.

Rosemary is the Grandmother of Herbalism and she has an amazing amount of recipes. If you are into herbalism she still teaches a beautiful, gentle approach.

The plastic caps for mason jars are the best. I use them all the time. No more rusty rings and lids.

5 Likes

I think Iā€™ll be making a batch of fire cider this weekend for me and my friends. I think itā€™s gonna be super necessary!

3 Likes

:joy:

It is like a fiery punch to the throat and stomach- but at least itā€™s a punch of love and good health! :fire: :jar: :grin:

Awesome! I hope your crafting went well and that you all had fun! :blush:

4 Likes

Am I correct in thinking that Fire Cider is sort of likeā€¦an immune booster during the colder months? And of course, when made with witchy intentions, can be magically boosted?

4 Likes

Yes! :grinning:

Itā€™s recommended to take a spoonful (either mixed with water or, if youā€™re particularly fierce, straight) when you begin to feel the first signs of a cold. Some people take it periodically throughout the cold season to prevent illness before it can sink in.

Looking at it herbally, itā€™s loaded with powerful immunity herbs and ingredients- things with anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, etc. Then of course a bit of magickal intent while crafting heightens those properties and can add an extra shroud of protection to whoever drinks it.

Fire Cider (along with the similar Four Thieves Oil) are great medicines to have on hand in winter! :fire: :blush:

5 Likes

Ohh okay, that makes sense! It reminds me of this liquid tincture I take when I start to feel sick called The Wellness Formula!

These are the ingredients.

Elderberry Fruit
Echinacea (E. purpurea & E. angustifolia) Root
Coptis Root
Yin Chiao Formula (honeysuckle flower, forsythia fruit, peppermint leaf, schizonepeta aerial parts, licorice root, prepared soy bean, platycodon root, bamboo shoot, phragmites root, and burdock seed)
Ginger Root
Cinnamomum spp. Bark
Elder Flower
Eleuthero Root
Horehound Aerial Parts
Isatis Root
Bayberry Root Bark

Itā€™s prettyā€¦uhhā€¦spicy :joy: but it works really well! I think when itā€™s gone, Iā€™ll make some fire cider and put it in the dropper bottles that the Wellness Formula comes in.

5 Likes

The Fire cider takes a month at least, make it now, make a quart and if you donā€™t need it all it means you and yours are healthier than you thought you would be. :sweat_smile: By the time you strain out a quart you only have about a pint anyways :rofl:

When you take it, do a shot straight up and chase it with whatever cuts the horrible taste and burning, but know that NO virus or bacteria will live to see another day. :rofl:

6 Likes

Okay, Iā€™ll get some started this weekend when I can make sure Iā€™ve got all the ingredients! :blush: Thanks for the advice!

4 Likes

The fresh grated horseraddish will open the sinuses of everyone in the house. :rofl:

:goat:

4 Likes

haha Iā€™m all for that!! :clap:

4 Likes

This looks like it could burn the hairs off your chest. Potent. Will have to make some, not that any of my family will touch it :rofl:

4 Likes

Wow, this is one loaded formula! :grinning: Elderberries and flowers, echinacea, ginger, and so much more- I havenā€™t even heard of some of these herbs before! I wonder what purpose the soy bean serves? I can imagine itā€™s a pretty spicy flavor haha- Iā€™d love to hear how they compare once youā€™ve tried the fire cider! :fire: :blush:

You, my friend, are a very strong and brave soul :saluting_face: :laughing:

Iā€™m a baby and I mix it with water haha. It lengthens the time of suffering, yes, but it also cuts the amount of suffering by a lot. Pick your poison, I suppose- although to be fair, this is only poison for viruses, bacteria, and other ickies you want out :laughing:

All the more for you, my dear! :laughing: :+1:

I wonder if it would work as an offering for Loki? Do you think He would appreciate a shot glass of something like this? It certainly has a chaotic flavor! :cup_tarot: :fire:

4 Likes

@BryWisteria You know, I think he would. Heā€™d probably drink the bottle :rofl:

4 Likes

Itā€™s definitely a spicy formula :joy: I think they changed something about it recently because this new bottle I have is extra spicy compared to my last one. Iā€™m curious to see how the fire cider compares to this, too! The Wellness Formula also comes in tablets - they taste horrible but they work so well!

Ya know, thatā€™s a really good questionā€¦ :thinking: I know there are some studies that show soy can be beneficial for cholesterol, blood pressure, and other medical issues. Iā€™m not sure what role it plays here, though, especially since itā€™s in the Yin Chiao Formula.

So, I did some digging ā€“ because of course I did lol ā€“ and I found this website (History of Yin Qiao Herbal Formula | AcuAtlanta Store News) that actually gives a breakdown of the ingredients, how theyā€™re used, and why in regard to Traditional Chinese Medicine. Iā€™m not sure how reliable the website is, but it doesnā€™t give me any red flags! Hereā€™s what it says about the soybean as an ingredient.

Uses: Clears wind cold or wind heat, irritability from febrile disorders.
Biomedical: Mild diaphoretic.

That makes a lot of sense given that the Wellness Formula is mainly used to treat colds and upper respiratory illnesses.

4 Likes