Fire Cider!

Continuing the discussion from Immune Boosting Magick:

Hey hey! Harvested a batch of Fire Cider ftoday. 2nd one ever. I’d love to see everyones personal favorite ingredient lists & leftovers tips.

The first time I tossed all my eligible left overs into a blender & froze it into 2tbsp cubes to use in recipes. This time, I’m giving some love to someone else’s idea from the book of face and dehydrating it. Then I’m gonna grind it up and sprinkle it on anything that it will stick to.

The hubby and I have a shot of fc in a cup of veggie juice every morning and it has done WONDERS for my bi-annual bronchi-ick. No laryngitis this time! Woot! Pretty good on asparagus & in Bloody Marys, too. Hopefully my fc guts suffer no ill fate. I’d love to be able to season things with it.

13 Likes

Freezing the fire cider and dehydrating it are both very creative ideas- I have a tough time convincing myself to take a spoon of it/drinking it mixed into a glass of water, so I’ve been using elderberry as my immune booster instead of the fire cider. I might give these methods a try- thanks, @Shine! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Question for you- it sounds like the fire cider has been working wonderfully for you (which is awesome- may you continue to be healthy and well! :heart:), have you ever tried a version of the Four Thieves Vinegar/Oil? I’ve been looking into comparing it against Fire Cider and would love to hear your thoughts if you’ve ever given it a try!

Blessed be! :sparkles:

6 Likes

I’ve never heard of fire cider! Tell me more about it, please! I’d love to learn.

6 Likes

Ooohhhh I’ve not heard of this. Now I have a new project! Thank you. I will look this up.

I typically can’t stand even the smell of acv but Fire Cider, oddly enough, makes it bareable. The first recipe I used didn’t have any citrus or rosehips in it. This second one I’ve tried is better. This is my favorite so far.

7 Likes

@Amethyst Here you go, Sister! This link gives you the recipe and the benefit of each ingredient.

Be mindful. It is SPICY! Have some chasing water or milk ready at your first taste. :hot_pepper:

7 Likes

Thank you! Not sure if I’ll make it but I was curious. You know?

6 Likes

@BryWisteria

I found this

& was already planning a trip to the local Granary. Looks like I’ll be making this one today! Thank you for the suggestion. Thinking about making the vinegar then using the strained leftovers to make an oil. Thoughts? Or should I just make both from the start and use the leftovers for a stock. Decisions, decisions lol

5 Likes

I’m gonna tuck the recipe away for a later date - thank you for sharing it! I’ve never made fire cider before, and honestly I’m not sure I ever will, but it’s good to have the know-how ahead of time :blush: I don’t know if I could handle the spice of the fire cider :laughing: I need to take a page out of @BryWisteria’s book and get some elderberry, though!

6 Likes

Success! It is very distinct lol Gonna be really good on some veggies or fish. Test ran it on a Ritz :yum::pinched_fingers:

7 Likes

Goodness, you are amazing, @Shine! :star_struck: Thank you so much for the recipes and sites you found- I’ll have to check them out :blush:

I think that’s one way to do it! The other way I’ve seen is using essential oils to make the Four Thieves Oil. Of course, you don’t want to ingest the essential oils, so this version would just be for external uses- specifically, as the legend of the thieves goes, to be put on the hands, ears, soles of your feet, etc :footprints:

That being said, I’m seeing a huge diversity in the ingredients people are using- some people use five different ingredients (one for each “thief” plus one extra), while others try to recreate what is supposedly the original Four Thieves Recipe:

Take three pints of strong white wine vinegar, add a handful of each of wormwood, meadowsweet, wild marjoram and sage, fifty cloves, two ounces of campanula roots, two ounces of angelic, rosemary and horehound and three large measures of champhor. Place the mixture in a container for fifteen days, strain and express then bottle. Use by rubbing it on the hands, ears and temples from time to time when approaching a plague victim.

From Farmer’s Almanac: Legendary Four Thieves Vinegar

Woohooo! It’s looking awesome, Shine- congrats on your successful batch! :partying_face:

5 Likes

@BryWisteria eek, thank you! I feel silly LOL. I wasn’t even thinking about making it with essential oils. I was thinking about mixing the herbs into olive oil to use to cook with. Now I gotta go delve into my oil cabinet and see i have the stuffs I need.

3 Likes

Oh, goodness, please don’t feel silly- I’m also still learning about the vinegars/oils/etc, and the more I read about it the more diverse the different versions seem to be! I don’t think there are any “right” or “wrong” answers when it comes to experimenting with this :grinning:

As someone who does a lot of cooking (and not too much work with essential oils atm), I honestly prefer this take on the recipe :+1: And all the more benefits if the herbs are combined with olive oil, which has health and magickal benefits of its own! :olive: :two_hearts:

Keep on experimenting and learning, @Shine- your great work and research are very interesting to see, and it’s so helpful for those like me who are also learning about it! :heart::blush:

4 Likes

One of my dearest friends swears by fire cider whenever she starts feeling poorly. And she has severe IBS, and this doesnt aggrevate her condition.

5 Likes

Juniper berries finally came in! Cider #3, thieves oil, & thieves vinegar in the works :heart:

4 Likes

Woohoo! Look at those beauties :heart_eyes:

May I ask how long you plan to steep each of them? Same amount of days/weeks, or different times for each mixture?

It’s super exciting- I can’t wait to hear what you think of the final results when they are ready! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Recipes all say 2 weeks. Gonna are what the flavor is like at that point. I’ve seen other recipes say as long as 6 weeks, which was how long I did my 1st fire cider. I don’t notice a difference in effectiveness [quote=“TheTravelWitch_Bry, post:15, topic:32555, full:true”]

Woohoo! Look at those beauties :heart_eyes:

May I ask how long you plan to steep each of them? Same amount of days/weeks, or different times for each mixture?

It’s super exciting- I can’t wait to hear what you think of the final results when they are ready! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[/quote]

between that one and the one we’re using right now. Gonna stick with 2 weeks for now & just see how it goes.

4 Likes

That’s good to know- if there’s not much difference in the effectiveness, then it’s certainly better to stick to the 2 weeks instead of waiting for 6 weeks!

Good luck and happy brewing- may all your batches come out wonderfully :pray::heart::blush:

4 Likes

They’re heeeeeeeeeerrrrreee
Every piece of bread in the planet needs a dip in this Thieves Oil… It’s soooooo good. The only greens I have to try the vinegar on right now is arugula which really isn’t fair so that taste test will have to wait. Scraps going into the dehydrator in the morning to make fire cider seasoning. Still haven’t decided if I’m going to do the same thing with the spices left over from the thieves stuff or save it for the next broth I make.

4 Likes

Y’all. It’s so pretty

4 Likes

The first time I had arugula I had whip-lash from the taste- who said salad was allowed to be so :sparkles: spicy :sparkles: :joy:

Congrats on the successful batch, @Shine- it sounds like it came out great! :grinning: Now all you need is a fresh-baked loaf of bread and you’ll be in true paradise :bread: :yum:

Thanks for sharing your progress- it’s really fun to see! :heart: As for the leftover spice mix, you’ve got lots of possibilities- I bet a pinch of that would make a really powerful protective blend for candle anointing oil or in spellwork :eyes::candle:

Blessed be!

3 Likes