Is Frankincense and Osmanthus the same?

I just got incense cones as a gift and planning to use em soon, and I was looking at what type they were (they didn’t say on the box) and I came across one that looks like osmanthus cones, then I googled what osmanthus is good for and it also said “It’s also called Frankincense” So I believe it is the same. Am I correct?

4 Likes

Osmanthus is the generic name for a plant more commonly known as the fragrant olive. It is an evergreen tree or upright shrub that has sweetly-scented flowers often used in herbal medicine, confectionary, and tea flavoring.

It’s known by many nicknames, including tea olive, sweet olive, and kinmokusei.

The generic name, Osmanthus , is derived from the Greek word osma , which means fragrant, along with anthos , which means flower. The full name Osmanthus fragrans makes a lot of sense given that the plant has a cloying aroma.
Frankincense is the hardened gum-like material (resin) that comes from cuts made in the trunk of the Boswellia sacra tree. People use it to make medicine.

Frankincense is used for pain and swelling in people with various diseases. Also used for gas (flatulence), wound healing, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support any use.
Frankincense is also used as a flavoring agent in foods and as a fragrance in soaps, lotions, and perfumes.
They are two separate plants. :waxing_gibbous_moon:

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like

That is very helpful information, @Garnet! Thank you for sharing your wisdom :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy your incense cones, @jada1! :blush: Are there many different types of incense in the package? Perhaps you have both Osmanthus and Frankincense! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you. And I have five in the bag. Rose, Lavender, Osmanthus, Jasmine, and Sandalwood.

1 Like

I bet it smells delicious!

1 Like

A lovely collection with some great scents to work with :blush: Enjoy, @jada1! :raised_hands: