Keep track of your books 📚 FREE Notion template!

I can’t remember where we were talking about Notion templates and book tracking, so I’m making a new post :sweat_smile: A while ago, I created a Notion template to help me track my books and be a sort of personal library. The template was very basic at the time, but it isn’t anymore! I wanted to share it with you in my newest video where I give a tour of this template for Notion but also give you the link to duplicate it for yourself :heart:

Get my Personal Library Template :sparkles:
Megan’s Personal Library Template || Notion

14 Likes

We discussed this somewhere :laughing::rofl:

9 Likes

I know we did :rofl: I just couldn’t find it! Plus, I updated the template a lot from when I first shared it, so I figured it could use its own post lol

9 Likes

Hrmmmm
I’m super new to Notion (e.g. still in the type 4 things delete page, think about Notion phase). But I like this idea, and immediately thought about making a Crystal inventory page.

So thanks, and now I’m off to search the forums for Notion talk.

10 Likes

Ohhh a crystal inventory page is a good idea! I use Notion for my Grimoire, too - I have something like that for my spells and ingredients

9 Likes

I want to do it now but m out of town. I literally just read your post from last year about Drive vs Notion for a grimoire. I like the idea of drive for all of this because I feel like that is a longer term solution to storing an accessing. I can just link everything and have the docs on my drive account and then use slides to make it pretty.

Buuuuuut, Notion is new and shiny to me.
Also, I use Goodnotes on my iPad as the actual
journal aspect of my grimoire a it exports pdfs that have handwriting recognition built in. I know there are others but that is what I use for reading journal articles and research so it seemed simplest.

That said my attempts at hyperlinked pdf journals for the iPad are no more useful than a paper notebook that I scan in with OCR.

Maybe I’ll try to make Notion talk to some existing pdf files in drive.

10 Likes

I get the new shiny thing thing that happens with new things :joy: but I’ve enjoyed using Notion so far!

It does! You can add embeds and upload things directly from Google Drive, too!

10 Likes

Me, too. :laughing: But I’ve been using Notion for about six years now, so I can contribute by saying it’s definitely a keeper! Worth a try, @Litha. :black_heart:

You can make links in your Notion pages to other Notion pages, make Notion pages that serve as Tables of Contents, etc. (You automatically get a contents list in pages that have nested pages, too.) And the search works really well, across all pages and teamspaces. I think it turns out to be an even better long term solution than Drive which just acts like folders for documents.

You can embed all sorts of things in Notion pages, too, including Google documents. Then you can have as many or as little Notion workspaces, teamspaces, pages and nested pages as you want to organise things in whatever way that works for you.

I found One Note and Evernote are comparable but too messy, so I ditched those years ago.

10 Likes

@MeganB and @starborn, I’m convinced and set up an herb inventory table (well I filled in herbs and set up tags).

Today I’m going to try to set up some pages linked to the Spells 8 grimoire pages on my Drive.

Here is my next question and I’m hoping talk have some experience here as my Google searches are taking me to things beyond my current skill set in Notion. Can the tables in Notion be exported if needed? E.g. if I flake in 6 months can I export them to .csv or something and not have to retype data?

9 Likes

Oooo… I love this idea :bulb: I am not very tech savvy so it’s gonna take some time and aggravation to figure it out! I love the idea of inventory lists and I’m thinking I need to start an electronic grimoire. I need to plan ahead for when my hands don’t work. There will be a lot of tech that I can use when my hands don’t work. On that note I should probably consider ebooks. I prefer paper though so I can make notes and and sticky notes for easy reference.

Can you use the notion app on several devices? I’m guessing you would make an account?

7 Likes

Yep! There are a few export formats and CSV is included.

I just tested it with my Etsy sales database and the resulting CSV looks good. :ok_hand: :black_heart:

(I use Notion in my browser so that my Grammarly extension can tell me off for poor spelling or grammar.)

8 Likes

Yup, Notion is compatible across devices with the app. I have it on my desktop, laptop, and my phone!

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s the thing. You need an account as everything is cloud-saved.

If you’d prefer something more secure that’s stored locally, I recommend Obisidian.

It also has this really neat idea graph feature, and there are so many plugins. It’s great, but probably a little less beginner-friendly.

6 Likes

:exploding_head: So many cool new things to add to my notion! I feel decision paralysis coming on! :laughing:

All of these are wonderful ideas and would help me a ton to have added to my Notion Commonplace book.

6 Likes

This is awesome! Gosh, seeing this makes me feel like I need to get my organizational act together :laughing: :+1:

Thank you so much for sharing your template (and for the helpful walkthrough too) :heart: :hugs: :open_book:

7 Likes

I think I’ll stick with notion.

@MeganB @starborn Can I call you for tech support? :rofl::laughing: I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions. It’s a little overwhelming and daunting to me! I don’t know where to start!

8 Likes

You’re welcome! :heart: Don’t be fooled – my organizational act is very sporadic lol sometimes it’s a great several weeks where I’m on top of it. Other times, I have stacks of books (like right now) that need to be added to my library :joy:

bahaha absolutely, you can! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m here to help in whatever way I can. Notion has a learning curve, for sure, but I love the benefits that Notion has for my life, my planning, and my education.

7 Likes

Of course. :black_heart: Between our different timezones, @MeganB and I will probably have the day covered. :laughing:

7 Likes

Thank you :blush: :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Any time! :hugs:

7 Likes